Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle destroyed - friends to the rescue - season on temporary hold

To All,

Saturday morning at 0515 my vehicle hit a patch of black ice in the last tunnel I go through to get to my home resort. I was going about 85. The vehicle went perpendicular to the road, I floored the gas pedal and began the process of spinning around time and again while ping-ponging across the 2 lane tunnel banging off the walls. All ended well. I am without a scratch, the police cleared me of any liability and the tunnel itself was noted to have no determinable damage inflicted by the accident. My vehicle was declared on the scene to be a total. I rang up the guys I was scheduled to go into the back country with and told them I would not make it. They questioned why, I told them and everyone completely abandoned their scheduled day to assist me. They came and got me, helped me get a wrecker to tow the vehicle to a chop shop where the disposition paperwork was accomplished, helped me clear the vehicle, remove the ski rack, rims, stereo and other items of clear value from the vehicle, took me to a cabin to stay the night and drove me the 2.5 hour trip home this morning. No one permitted me to pay for anything beyond meals for them. I've not felt so safe, cared for and loved in years. I spent the day humbled by the incredible selflessness and humanity that surrounded me. I was literally not permitted to go to the bathroom alone in case there was some residual physical effect from the accident despite being cleared by medical personnel as good to go. I'm still in awe.

So, the season is on hold for a few weeks until I find another vehicle and go through the process of getting it together. The vehicle I had was not insured for damage. My insurance was for full, unlimited vehicle occupant injury and full, unlimited coverage of not-to-my vehicle damage and injury. So, there is nothing to recover from the insurance company. All of that is clean. I'm just out the vehicle and paid to have it scrapped.

Life goes on.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Glad to hear you're okay man. Good luck getting back up and running.
    Revel8 ALPdors
    Gold Revel8 Receptors
    Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
    ____
    Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
    If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Yeah, good to hear you're good. Always sucks when you've gotta get a new vehicle like that, I know the feeling.
      2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Glad to hear you are okay! I was worried when I read the thread title.

Comment

Ty,

Thanks. It could have been much worse for me. The vehicle was mangled enough that I had to use a Life Hammer (kept in the driver side door) to get out the window. The driver side door, passenger door and sliding side door were all mangled and would not open. The front of the vehicle was shaped like an off center "V" with the radiator pushed through the grill one one side. The rear while not entirely destroyed had one corner crushed in and the other had the marker light assembly hanging off. It didn't take a genius to determine the vehicle was beyond any possible repair as it had a decidedly scrunched look to one side that made it pretty obvious the frame was bent. I walked away without as much as seat belt bruises or burns. I was held in God's hands for sure. It could have been and probably should have been much worse for me. I'm not complaining.
          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

Wow! Glad the gods were with you on this one.
            Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
            Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
            Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
            History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

You are one lucky man!
              Glad you are ok!
              Sorry the car isn't.
              Great friends you have, awesome.
              C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

I purchased another vehicle yesterday. Actually, another Toyota Lucida. Almost a carbon copy of the last one. This one is 2 years older and dark green instead of dark blue. Her name is Isabella. I'll spend the weekend getting her together and will be back on snow next weekend. Yesterday afternoon/last night I swapped the stereo (functional check), changed oil, transmission fluid , did a radiator flush and pulled the crappy tires it came with and put my tasty winter rims/tires on. Today I'll make it by the stereo shop and put real speakers in Isabella. I already know how to do it for the Lucida so it will be a snap. A few hours to do it right. I'm poor. Life is good.

Comment

FYI - the deed is done. The vehicle is ready to go. A couple sets of Polk Audio MM691's installed. Could not have been easier. No subs. Amp dialed in. Isabela has been fully "ops checked" and is ready to go. Yesterday, I ended up swapping out all the fuses and bulbs. One of the fog lights were out so I took it as a sign. Not expensive at all to do those things (good headlights cost a little but....) so while maybe not truly necessary it felt good. She also got a stem to stern interior cleaning. Today, I'll get a coat of wax on her and load in all the goodies like snow chains. I run snow tires of course so the chains are for black ice. I have the old school steel chains as opposed to those new fangled rubber things. I see reports of black ice and the chains are going on. No more messing around. Here, people seem to talk about old school chains like they are just the most hateful thing ever invented. I don't get the big deal. I mean, the new rubber, studded chains are easier but it's not like the "old fashioned" chains are somehow impossible to work with. I have sets for both front and rear. Practice putting those on and by the time you've done 3 rounds of on/off all the way around you'll be an absolute pro and as fast as people with rubber chains who haven't practiced. Plus, no one argues the fact that the steel chains are definitely the way to go for ice. Yes, I'm a little over the top on the topic right now. Anyway, time to wax on/wax off and get back to life.

Comment

To anyone who might be following this thread,

I have the opportunity to purchase a Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear. I do not know the year model off hand but can find out. It is something in the 2000's. Anyway, it's a V6 3L and is totally pimp with every possible amenity. The issue I have is finding a ski/snowboard rack. I do not care if it is roof mount, rear door mount or trailer hitch as long as it can swing out of the way for rear door access. It's a killer deal and I want it but can't seem to find a rack. Anyone have any insight?

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                      To anyone who might be following this thread,

I have the opportunity to purchase a Mitsubishi Delica Space Gear. I do not know the year model off hand but can find out. It is something in the 2000's. Anyway, it's a V6 3L and is totally pimp with every possible amenity. The issue I have is finding a ski/snowboard rack. I do not care if it is roof mount, rear door mount or trailer hitch as long as it can swing out of the way for rear door access. It's a killer deal and I want it but can't seem to find a rack. Anyone have any insight?
                      I'm not sure there's much help to be had, because those were never available in the North American market.

There's enough of the older ones up here in Canada now, but I can't recall seeing any with racks.
                      2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Working...
                      X