Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yegg
    replied
    ...And what to do when it comes to freestyle? Ask this guy: http://youtu.be/4pw7f2bO-08

Leave a comment:

• Yegg
    replied
    Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    Kinda tough to get the same "flow" feeling from any kind of skating that you get from skiboarding. Mostly because skiboarding is driven by an outside force (gravity) and with skating you are providing the force.
    Not anymore!

http://m.rollercycle.com

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Roussel View Post
    I see a paradox going on here tho, the more we would make inline skates 'feel' like ski/skiboards, the less they actually feel like inline skates and the less they can be used as inline skates?
    Good point.

When I first got my Razors they had the classic anti rocker set up. I wanted to try an aggressive style but I just couldn't turn them. I went four flat and found them much more versatile. Now I've morphed into a power blade set up with no H block I might as well be back on rec skates.

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    ...I see a paradox going on here tho, the more we would make inline skates 'feel' like ski/skiboards, the less they actually feel like inline skates and the less they can be used as inline skates?

Good point!

Leave a comment:

• Roussel
    replied
    Originally posted by Bill View Post
    I'm out of the loop and haven't inline skated in many years, do any of the newer skate and or wheel designs address this?
    Not new but "rockered'' frames are making a comback. The Wizard frames are no where near accessible at $400 a pair but the outside wheels are rockered up a milimieter or so. This makes it so you are never on more than 2 wheels at a time, making skids and turns possible.

There are other, less expensive frame options.

I see a paradox going on here tho, the more we would make inline skates 'feel' like ski/skiboards, the less they actually feel like inline skates and the less they can be used as inline skates?

Leave a comment:

• Bill
    replied
    I find ice skating to be much more like skiboarding compared to inline skating, primarily because it's possible to slip turn with ice skates in a controlled way. The closest thing with roller skates were the old "street king" steel wheel street hockey skates on pavement, they would slide sideways pretty good.

I'm out of the loop and haven't inline skated in many years, do any of the newer skate and or wheel designs address this?

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    check out mushroom blading for inspiration!
    Great thread.

Yes, the mushroom blading site is a great resource. In one of their podcasts, Joey McGarry talks about flow and how skaters never used to make full use of the skateparks. They were taking run ups at specific features to throw tricks rather than maintaining their speed to flow through the park. He feels that skaters are now evolving.

Their "Big Wheels"'and Wizard Frames are designed to produce a much more fluid and continuous style of skating. The frames are rockered, so they are never riding flat, but only on two wheels. This makes for very quick, responsive turns. Along with the extra speed and glide that the bigger wheels provide, this does produce a very skiboard like experience.

They are using their frame to rocker down the front and back wheels, very much like an ice skate. You achieve the same effect by using different wheel sizes or adjustable axle frames like the Kizer Slimlines. They are basically using a rockered powerblade setup that allows them to spin, turn and swivel at speed.

I have two or three routes through our local park where I can use the transitions to keep my speed up. Without having to skate it does feel very ski like. I have to go early before the scooter kids get there or all the features get blocked. I hate getting snaked at speed.

Leave a comment:

• Wookie
    replied
    Kinda tough to get the same "flow" feeling from any kind of skating that you get from skiboarding. Mostly because skiboarding is driven by an outside force (gravity) and with skating you are providing the force. The only skating that comes close for me is ice skating, outdoors, on a large frozen body of water (lake, canal) but you are not going to find that in the summer.

For me, to get my summer flow on, I look to sailing and surfing. There is something other worldly about a wave or the wind picking you up and powering your motion. Very similar to rolling from the flats onto a slope on skiboards.

Just my two cents!

Leave a comment:

• Roussel
    replied
    I felt the same the first few times i went skating so I got the Kizer Advanced II frames. 76mm flat set up. I think it would be hard to recreate the skiboard flow on skates, but the flat 76mm set up helps and although you may not be able to do royales and unity grinds as easily I can def soul and mizou while shredding around and carving better than on my 60mm.

check out mushroom blading for inspiration!

Leave a comment:

• joshmcintyre
    started a topic Frustrated with lack of "flow"

Frustrated with lack of "flow"

Hey all,

I'm a lifelong skater turned skiboarder. I'm also very into mountain biking, especially freeride/downhill.

Lately in the summer I've been biking a LOT since it emulates that skiboarding flow so well, carving down trails, hitting drops, hitting jumps etc.

I love to skate as well, but my days at the skatepark have been lacking that free flowing feeling that skiboarding and biking gives.

I tend to skate a lot of transition, and rarely skate rails. My skates feel kind of bulky and slow. Rolling around in the bowl results in more work and out of breath-ness than feeling of freedom.

So I'm thinking it might be time for a flat setup or even a powerblading setup if I can swing the money. Does anyone else have a similar feeling toward blading? Like you want it to feel like skiboarding, but it doesn't? curious to hear your thoughts.
Working...
X