Blading Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post

I heard you did awesome with Brandon the other day.
    Thanks, I'm getting there slowly. I bought an extra set of regular wheels so I could ride flat, so much easier now that I can turn and not get stuck in the cracks. I know anti rocker makes grinding easier for beginners, so I might get the Kaiser Slimline trucks and get the best of both worlds.

We're waiting on you.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Double post.

Comment

I ride anti-rocker. I used to ride flat (fourdown, which is the root of where that comes from). When I first started skating again I was riding flat, but after about a year I got so annoyed when I was grinding something wider and I would get caught on the wheels that I tried anti-rocker out (first time since 1997) and loved it. I haven't looked back since. You'll get used to it. Like everything else with skating it just takes time. I know the Kizer frames have a wider gap in the middle and have a built in plastic gapper, but I prefer riding anti these days.

I can't stress enough, skiboarding is far easier than skating. The quickness you took to skiboarding will not exist with skating.
        I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post

I can't stress enough, skiboarding is far easier than skating. The quickness you took to skiboarding will not exist with skating.
          I'm happy to plod along slowly. I took a lot of falls the first month ans was starting to loose a little faith, along with the skin off my elbows, but I'm starting to gain in confidence now. Since I switched to flat I can carve much easier and I'm starting to get higher up the walls, plus I'm starting to carry more speed. I landed my first jump off one of the low boxes this week. Small step, but it felt like a victory. I can jump on the rail from static, just building up the nerve to do it at speed.

Falls are inevitable trying new things, but I' trying to go slow enough that they don't ruin my progress.

Comment

Inline skates

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
            The forum is dead right now, so I'm not sure if anyone is reading this, or even if they care about my my mid life crisis exploits. I guess most fifty year olds get a mistress or a convertible. Trying to learn inline might be more of an adventure than either. Anyway, I'll keep posting about my progress, makes me feel better to write it down anyway.

Spent a couple of hours at the skate park in Chandler today whilst the girls went shopping. As usual, I was the only skater there, so I bowed to the peer pressure and started off on my skate board. Felt a little shaky at first and took a couple of falls, so I put my skates on for the rest of the time. I do have elbow pads, but felt like a nerd wearing them, so yes, this is my fault;

Anyway, I had my best session so far. I think I tried way too much too soon before. I guess I thought I would be grinding rails, carving bowls and jumping gaps in no time. Skating is relatively easy on the flat, but transitions make all the difference, just keeping your feet under you is quite the task. But each time I go out I see a little improvement, and fall a little less, which is really nice. I'm trying to keep patient and not skate beyond my abilities, I'm learning fast that being good at other sports doesn't always make you good at anything you try. Quite humbling. Another pleasant surprise is how patient and accepting all the skateboarders are of an old beginner in their park on skates, these guys aren't half as bad as they look!
            Hi Bad, Here a photo of my skates. CCM ice hockey boots with Labeda wheels/ trucks. Make sure you wear a helmet, gloves and pads if needed... us 50 something year old bruise easy! lol

RickClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8760.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	244857
            rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
            ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Originally posted by rickylink View Post
              Hi Bad, Here a photo of my skates. CCM ice hockey boots with Labeda wheels/ trucks. Make sure you wear a helmet, gloves and pads if needed... us 50 something year old bruise easy! lol

Rick[ATTACH=CONFIG]3152[/ATTACH]
              Nice set up. Are those just for cruising or have you ventured into the park?

Yes to the helmet, someone needs to make the five year old scooter boys feel wanted.

Comment

No parks... primarily roller hockey.
                rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

I'm starting to realize that my new best friend is "Momentum". The faster you go on the skates the more stable you seem to become. I'm not sure of the physics behind it, but it almost feels like a gyroscope effect.

I feel like my painful beginners learning curve is almost over. My crashing falls have turned into less painful slide outs. For the first time I can imagine meeting some of my goals, mainly dropping in on the vert and jumping on and off the boxes. I hope some of this converts into better skiing for me, the improved balance can't hurt.

Having fun in the sun, it was 108 today.

Comment

I've almost got my soul grind. Step on, soul grind, two foot jump off. I can jump on from static, I just need to do it in motion. 180 off would be nice as well.

Getting closer on my quarter pipe exits.

Progress is FUN !!!

Comment

Summertime !

It hit 119 degrees today in Phoenix and they had a reported high of 124 degree in Lake Havasu. We skated after dark but it was still 109 degrees when we left the park at 10:15. Hard to believe we were skiing just a few months ago.

But it's a dry heat. You're missing all the fun Dave.

Comment

Slap, bump. OK got it.

Comment

Hey bad wolf- I just spent some time and caught up on your skating progress. That's awesome that you are sticking with it. It is definitely much more difficult and painful than ski boarding, skateboarding, or pretty much any other sport I've ever tried. You get worn down so fast especially when learning. I've been skating pretty much every nice weather day this summer although ive been splitting my time with a board too... I've always wanted to learn a frontside air on vert and finally started putting in the time to try to reach it... Hopefully by the end of summer. It is the last thing on a list of life goals I made when I was 16, so after that I will finally get to make a new list!

Comment

Thanks for the interest Kirk. It's cool that you are still working on a goal like that.

I started off pretty slow, but am getting my feet underneath me now and carving the transitions. The biggest help was Brandon moving to AZ and skating with me a few times a week. My eldest has starting skating too, her boyfriend has skated for several years and is coming to the park with us. Now, if we could just get Dave Bloom to come out....

The biggest improvement came switching to flat, but I kind of gave up trying to grind for now, too many falls. I still want to get my frontsides and gaps down by the end of summer, as they should translate to the park (winter).

Comment

You'll definitely be in a shock come winter. Everytime I get comfortable in skates then switch to skiboards, the first thing I think is "this is so much easier, and it doesn't hurt!!" You have to be so super precise on skates, but even short boards give you that extra little room for error.

I rode my wheels flat too for the longest time because I love the stable feeling you get. I only recently switched to anti-rockers after I had my shoulder surgery. It was a part of my plan to slow down my skating so I don't fall as hard. They make grinds a lot easier, but you definitely loose that stability.

Comment

In the customizing tradition of the Forum, I took my daughter's Razor Jr skates apart and rebuilt them with adult frames, bearings and wheels. She's not complaining about going slow anymore!

Here are the custom builds, the frames over run the boots, but do they fly.
                                The old junior set up is underneath for comparison.

Comment

Working...
                                X