X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    Even though it was over 100 degrees at 10pm they were all wearing long pants and beanies, guess it must be the style. I'll have to go buy a pair of long pants now, at least I have a nice red RV8 beanie already.

Haha, welcome to my world. I skate in skinny jeans, a tee or tank, and a beanie. Trust me, falling hurts a lot less when there is denim between the skin and concrete upon contact. Besides, falling looks more stylish when you're dressed in style haha.

I heard you did awesome with Brandon the other day.

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    I got to hang with a group of skaters last night from a local club, including some sponsored riders. What a lesson in how to make something so hard look so easy. Nice guys too. Even though it was over 100 degrees at 10pm they were all wearing long pants and beanies, guess it must be the style. I'll have to go buy a pair of long pants now, at least I have a nice red RV8 beanie already.

If I'm going to make this work I have to get more speed. I think it's like riding a bike, if you go too slow you get wobbly and fall off. The faster you go the harder you fall.

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    The forum is dead right now, so I'm not sure if anyone is reading this, or even if they care about my my mid life crisis exploits. I guess most fifty year olds get a mistress or a convertible. Trying to learn inline might be more of an adventure than either. Anyway, I'll keep posting about my progress, makes me feel better to write it down anyway.

Spent a couple of hours at the skate park in Chandler today whilst the girls went shopping. As usual, I was the only skater there, so I bowed to the peer pressure and started off on my skate board. Felt a little shaky at first and took a couple of falls, so I put my skates on for the rest of the time. I do have elbow pads, but felt like a nerd wearing them, so yes, this is my fault;

Anyway, I had my best session so far. I think I tried way too much too soon before. I guess I thought I would be grinding rails, carving bowls and jumping gaps in no time. Skating is relatively easy on the flat, but transitions make all the difference, just keeping your feet under you is quite the task. But each time I go out I see a little improvement, and fall a little less, which is really nice. I'm trying to keep patient and not skate beyond my abilities, I'm learning fast that being good at other sports doesn't always make you good at anything you try. Quite humbling. Another pleasant surprise is how patient and accepting all the skateboarders are of an old beginner in their park on skates, these guys aren't half as bad as they look!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave Bloom View Post

Actually, Phoenix has a pretty huge rollerblade scene. There a skate shop here and there are more bladers than you realize. You just have to check out http://www.revolutionskate.com/ to find where they meet up. Two weeks ago they did a session at the park a mile from Brandon's and my place; http://www.concretedisciples.com/ska...lay.php?id=561.

Feel free to come skate with Brandon and I. We live in the Ahwutakee area in Phoenix.
    Yes, would love to hang with you guys sometime.

Have you made it here yet, you were moving in this weekend right?

The session you reference was at the park I posted pictures of with my daughter. We go there on the weekends, but have never seen another skater. It's the closest park for us but is about a 20 minute drive.

Looks like Revolution is meeting at the Chandler Skate Park on Thursday May 23rd at 730pm, that's meant to be the best park in the state, I've been there a few times. We could meet up at that one? It's about 20 min form the 'Tuke' for you.

Leave a comment:

• Quattrofan
    replied
    I've never even seen those.

They look interesting and as usual, many conflicting reviews out there.

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    I've never even seen those.

Leave a comment:

• Quattrofan
    replied
    Dave,

Ever try these?

http://landroller.com/

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    I'm having to back off the skating a little, it is just beating the crap out of me.
    Welcome to my world. It absolutely can be brutal. Concrete is a lot harder than snow.

…there seems to be a learning curve that involves a lot of falling and getting up, not great for my old bones.
    Skating is A LOT harder than skiboarding. You do take a beating. It's an underestimated sport that requires a lot of practiced technique. Pads will make it more comfortable. Check out "crash pads" for some added pain blockage.

The other problem at the park is always being the odd one out; not just in age and skill, but being the only skater in a crowd of skateboarders.
    Actually, Phoenix has a pretty huge rollerblade scene. There a skate shop here and there are more bladers than you realize. You just have to check out http://www.revolutionskate.com/ to find where they meet up. Two weeks ago they did a session at the park a mile from Brandon's and my place; http://www.concretedisciples.com/ska...lay.php?id=561.

Feel free to come skate with Brandon and I. We live in the Ahwutakee area in Phoenix.

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    I'm having to back off the skating a little, it is just beating the crap out of me. I'm enjoying skating in the street and on my mini grind rail in the garage, but the transitions in the park are killing me. Like snowboarding, there seems to be a learning curve that involves a lot of falling and getting up, not great for my old bones. The other problem at the park is always being the odd one out; not just in age and skill, but being the only skater in a crowd of skateboarders. I wouldn't mind if I had some skills and could rip it up, but it's tough to be a beginner and always in everyone's way.

I used to skateboard back in the days before Ollies were even thought of, so I might go back to that for a while in the park. I can work on transition pumping and timing without feeling so self conscious. Maybe once I get the feel for the bowls on my board, I might give it a go on the skates again.

My main goal was to get out, stay fit, work on my balance and learn some new skills. It's a little disappointing to struggle on the skates, but skateboarding should just as fun and a little kinder to my joints.

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    I can't wait to shred it up with you. I'll be down there in two weeks. I have a race that Saturday morning, but we can shred it up when the sun starts to go down.
    You shred, it will be a pleasure to watch and learn as I gently roll!

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    I can't wait to shred it up with you. I'll be down there in two weeks. I have a race that Saturday morning, but we can shred it up when the sun starts to go down.

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    Tried out the Chandler Skate Park today, this place is huge with dozens of bowls, ramps, boxes, rails and features. Had to get out early because it hit 100 degrees by midday. I thought I might try some real grinds but the rails were higher than my garage set up and not as smooth. I think I need to work on hitting them with more speed. Baby steps.

This park is meant to be the best in the state. It's free, and about 20 minutes from Ahwatukee Foothills.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    Sempai, you are right, concrete does hurt more than snow. Took my first huge fall today, not a slide out, but a both feet above your head body slam.
    Ouch!

Leave a comment:

• Dave Bloom
    replied
    That is a GREAT setup to learn on. I have so much respect for you. Many people would not have the guts to do what you're doing.

Leave a comment:

• Bad Wolf
    replied
    At the risk of you experienced inliners laughing at me, here is my garage grind rail set up. It's only 56", but just long enough to jump on, get a little grind and jump off. The trash cans are there to anchor the rail and to break my fall; I can't afford to break a hip. So far I've been too self conscious to try any grinds at the park, but I might give it a go this weekend, now that I've got some practice in. Doesn't count unless you jump on right?

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X