Like a fish out of water!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like a fish out of water!

OK, I know most of you guys skate park and more than just for fitness, but I had to share this...

I skate, only for fitness, and I love every moment on my blades. I finally got back out on them yesterday for the first time after coming back from South Tahoe where I was skiboarding for a week. As soon as I put them on I stand up and bend my knees to make sure they're both strapped tight enough and the first thought that came to mind was "Boy these boots are soft!" My body expected them to feel like ski boots. And as I started blading down the road, I kept feeling like they were going to roll out from under me, because they felt too short! I never expected a week of skiboarding to change my muscle memory from a sport I have been doing for years. I have only been skiboarding that one time (and loved it) but to have it effect my blading was unexpected! Thankfully I didn't have any spills, but I certainly felt different the entire 45 minutes I was out.

My muscles better re-learn the blading feeling quickly, or I'm gonna be in trouble! I know they will, but I felt like a noob all over again.

If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
    www.GetFitnessFast.com
    www.FastFitShake.com
    www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
    '07 BWP's
    2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
    Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

I know how you feel. I just started skating again after 11 years. From age 4 to 17 1/2 they were on my feet more than sneakers. After a season of skiboarding I strapped on my skates with the feeling that I was ready to get back into it. To my surprise I forgot how to stop and my friends driveway at the end of a hill aided in my 20foot butt slide. I also keep feeling the need to lean back like I had tails on my skates. Definitely an awkward transition from one sport. To the other.
    I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

Similar to me. When i got my new skates last summer, the first thing I did was fall right on my butt right in front of the owner of Shop-Task.
      2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

ya same different feeling and balance but once u got it tricks gotta be similar to skiing right?
        Air 77s
        ALLZ 09 w/ grooves

Comment

I tried on a pair of soft boot fitness skates at a shop just to see how they'd feel. I felt like I was going to break my ankles because of the lack of support. This may be because I already broke one of them and it needs more support anyway, but I couldn't image using soft boot skates. I put on my aggressive skates and they felt much better as far as support goes. Getting used to the balance again is definitely interesting though.

Comment

Yeah Courtney, I was trying to do 360s on my rec skates last year before I got my deshis and I was landing but still almost breaking my ankles.
            Revel8 ALPdors
            Gold Revel8 Receptors
            Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
            ____
            Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
            If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Soft boot skates are far superior, in my opinion I skated on K2 Fatties for years and never had an issue until landing a front flip totally wrong and shattering my ankle. I'm sure it was also in part of the years of abuse, but I was also doing drops upwards of 10-14' on a daily basis for four years. If you are unsure of your ankles because of their show of weakness, definitely don't ride soft boot skates. But, if you have very strong ankles, do it up. They feel so much smoother and have such a more natural give which allows for a more natural style to develop. After eleven years of not riding and the need to support my ankles (after shattering my right ankle on top of the five sprains on my right ankle before the breaking it and six sprains on my left ankle; all due to skating) I am picking up a pair of standard boot skates with higher cuffs for the extra support. I do miss my K2s very much so. If you have the strength for it, I highly recommend a pair of K2 Fatties over any skate that has ever or will ever exist.
              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

You guys are all far superior in your blading skills than I am, I'm just there to cruise around, listen to my iPod, and hopefully ensure that I can continue to fit into my jeans I have no desire to switch out of soft shell blades, but I love to hear others opinions. I've had to cut back the last week due to the pollen count outside. Everything is yellow from pollen, and I've had a scratchy throat for 5 days, and I have NEVER been affected by pollen before. Supposedly it's a record high level out there. So out of desire to save my throat, my blades will stay in the closet until I can stand to be outside. But knowing that for the majority of the year I have blading to keep me company when I don't have access to a snow covered mountain, makes me very happy!

Glad to see others out there enjoying blades, no matter what you do once you're strapped in them!
                If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it.

Independent Beachbody Coach
                www.GetFitnessFast.com
                www.FastFitShake.com
                www.facebook.com/CoachHeidiG

SBOLTeam III Rider

'11 Revolt "Trees"
                '07 BWP's
                2011 Spruce Pro Lite's
                Head Edge+ 8.5 One Boots

Comment

Working...
                X