No announcement yet.

Full Tilt Booter, Stock Zero Binding - A Backcountry Review and Trip Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bill, when I played with straight bales awhile back, I found they would bend a little and loosen on ompacts such as crashes. Just my two cents..................
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      Jack, do you find that the wider, larger-radius heel bales on the zeros hold securely enough...without side-to-side play...as toe and/or heel bales?

If you take a look at the pictures of skyskater's bindings, he uses a straight rod as a heel bale which would be the ultimate "fit-anything" bale but I imagine might have too much side-play or not enough contact area for your demanding application? I've been playing with custom bale configurations and trying to figure out a solution.
      Hi Bill , I was initially concerned because I thought the bale of the zeros' were too wide and allowed too much play side to side with my Full tilts but on testing in the field .. I think it really is ok ... the key is 1 / running the springs on the telemark cables nice and tight ... if you run the cables too loose you can torque side to side easier .. , the adjustment on these cables is a simple measure of spinning the cylinders 2/some way to locate the heel and prevent side to side motion of the heel is important .. if you look at the photos of the zero binding front lever used as heel elevator . you will notice in the low position the sole of the boot rests on the adjustment screw of the front lever and is prevented by twisting much by the side bales of the front bale , this really helps prevent twist and makes you less dependent on a very firm hold down of the toe bale .. 3/ in the high position the boot sits on the front lever and screw knob and although the side wings of the bale are not around the boot .. the high position in and of itself , causes the telemark spring cables to become tighter and prevent twisting ... i plan to torture test this whole system in steep firm icy snow climbing this saturday and see if everything holds in place as I expect it will .. in climbing traverses in on icy slope using ski crampons .. i think i will probably use the low position of front lever/heel elevator . as it seems llike it will be the most secure and most liable to prevent twisting of my boot in the telemark binding while side hilling .. .
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Dave, yes, that's exactly what I was guessing. I think the solution will end up being some sort of compound radius. I've been playing with some annealed rod and trying different things.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
          I was initially concerned because I thought the bale of the zeros' were too wide and allowed too much play side to side with my Full tilts but on testing in the field .. I think it really is ok ... .. .
          Thanks, Jack, that's helpful. I have Receptors, Bombers, and Line FFPros for study but don't have a pair of Zeros, but I do remember checking out your pair and thinking the wide bales could cause some sloppiness. I'm anxious to hear how this works for you the coming weekend. I wonder if the wider (toe) bale might actually help by permitting some limited side-travel without actually torquing out? The other bale issue is angle. The boot heel (being higher than the toe protrusion of the boot) requires a sharper (vertical) bale angle for good contact. The same bale for the toe works better with a less acute angle...these are things I've been kicking around.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
            Thanks, Jack, that's helpful. I have Receptors, Bombers, and Line FFPros for study but don't have a pair of Zeros, but I do remember checking out your pair and thinking the wide bales could cause some sloppiness. I'm anxious to hear how this works for you the coming weekend. I wonder if the wider (toe) bale might actually help by permitting some limited side-travel without actually torquing out? The other bale issue is angle. The boot heel (being higher than the toe protrusion of the boot) requires a sharper (vertical) bale angle for good contact. The same bale for the toe works better with a less acute angle...these are things I've been kicking around.
            hi bill , got a great chance to torture test the zero touring binding set up with my full tilt boots ... on the flat you can torque the toe a bit in the heel bale when used in touring mode but never enough to really come out or cause much of a problem .. when climbing the front lever used as a heel elevator in the low position really helps to provide help as a heel locator , keeping the heel of the boot from torqueing , the boot sits on the adjustment screw of the front lever and the side wires of the front bale serve as side wires as a heel cup to prevent the boot from torqueing on high angle climbing traverses with crampons on steep icy slopes.. the whole set up worked like a charm .. the high position of the heel elevator worked great climbing straight up the hill , when i wanted to do side climbing or traverses , i just knocked it down into the low position to give some more support around the heel of my boot ... i hope with the photos above in this thread you can understand what i am saying about the use of the front lever and front bale as a heel locator and heel elevator...

here is a pic of the dirtbag SBOL forum Zero Pro touring binding solution in the low position heel elevator . crampon mode .. nice comparo with the much more expensive fritschi swiss touring binding that my buddy Micheal has on his Icelantic scouts .

Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Zero Pro Non release Binding
            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Damn, I feel so jealous now! Nice pictures, Jack!
              2010 KTP
              2010Receptors
              2011 Full Tilt Hot Doggers

www.myspace.com/damnthedoorisclosed

Comment

Working...
              X