Jumps on skiboards?!?!?!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumps on skiboards?!?!?!!!

When I go off jumps on skiboards at my local ski resort I go full speed, jump at the top, and still land in the flat a lot of the time... I'm going to Colorado Breckenridge and I'm afraid that when I go off some of their huge jumps 65+ footers that I wont make it to the downhill part and hurt myself..
    Revel8 Revolt "city" (lite riser release bindings)
    Revel8 Rumspringa "Mary Jane"
    "No guts No glory" my skiboarding motto
    Real Age: 20
    "I value my life more than a helmet" - nolhay

They should have some smaller ones to start out on in CO. I would say the rain probably didn't help. Jumps shrink - most are probably impossible now.

Comment

The weather is quite different in CO than here
      Revel8 Revolt "city" (lite riser release bindings)
      Revel8 Rumspringa "Mary Jane"
      "No guts No glory" my skiboarding motto
      Real Age: 20
      "I value my life more than a helmet" - nolhay

Comment

Parks in CO are probly better maintained than your local hill.

Start small, work your way up.

and watch out for errant snowballs

Comment

I was having trouble the first time getting up enough speed, and I wouldn't clear the plateau ... but since I've gained confidence, I seem to be rocketing past the plateau and down the landing zone almost every time, even on my 99s, one of which is delaminating : ( ...

I've never understood jump sizes. I went off the biggest jump they had at Ragged Mtn, and that was a little smaller than the big jumps at Loon.

Comment

So... there are a few possiblities...

1. If other people are able to clear the jump, then you just aren't going fast enough. In this case, watch what other people do, and do it exactly like them. You might need to start up higher, skate in for speed, or do a speed tuck to hit the jump. If you see someone else hitting it good, you can "speed train" them off of it, where you follow behind them and keep up with them the whole time. As long as you do this, you'll hit the landing too as long as they do. If you find that you aren't keeping up with them at all, then DO NOT hit the jump because you will case it.

2. It is also possible that the jump is not built right for the run in. If no one is able to hit the landing, and you are going from as high up as possible and straight lining in a speed tuck, then the jump is not set up properly for the hill, or the conditions are making it impossible to hit. This happens sometimes, especially with changing conditions. A lot of factors can make a jump unhittable. Something as little as a change in the wind can make a jump that was great in the morning useless in the afternoon.

Now this talk about hitting 65+ foot jumps... If you are casing ANY jumps, please do not even think about going off a 65 foot jump. People die on these if they mess up. There are a lot of factors for hitting big jumps: snow conditions, wind, lighting, your state of mind, ect. And if you are casing smaller jumps, then please do not even approach these for your own safety. The take off alone for a 65' jump is going to be at least 15' tall. Expect the same injuries as jumping off of a 3 story building if you case it. Also, unless you are riding releasables, then impact of casing a jump of this size will most likely break your boards (if not your legs).

To hit a jump of this size, you have to be going much faster than most people are even comfortable with riding, usually straight line, and with absolutely no speed checks.

Breck has some good jumps. Start small, and make sure you are hitting the landings before going bigger. If you case one jump, don't try anything bigger until you are comfortable with the speed required to clear the smaller one.

Comment

Working...
            X