Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stepping back into skates after an 11 year absence...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personaly i like softer boot skates. I loved my remedyz and now remz i guess but still soft boot "thanks to chris haffey!" i skated with him a few times randomly and after that i was all about softer skates. i have many bad old injuries to worry about as well but i always felt being in a harder boot or not so lose cuff made my balance harder to control. being alittle more free with your natrual movements aka your ankles, helps alot. thats my personal out look on skates anymore. i do have ankle clicking and knee and back issues (bad) but still have a passion for it. i just inherreted some skates from a old friend that passed away ( RIP Chris Fox) and find myself stairing at them in the garage debating! i know how it feels to be unsure about the old injuries! power to anyone that takes a break from skating and knowing there body isnt what it used to be but want to anyway!

Comment

I love softboot skates as well. I skates the original K2 Fatty. Those beautiful black and grey skates. I spent five years of my youth attached to various K2 Fatty models. But, just like you said these old injuries take their tolls. I tried Remz when I was looking into new skates and they just totally lacked the ankle support that I need. Maybe it's all in my head out of paranoia, but I can't take that chance haha. I stick to Razors Aragon 3s now. Not only are they extremely supportive and not very restrictive, but they mimic a skiboot in some ways helping the crossover from skating to skiboarding.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. But, he left you those skates for a reason. Put them on and skate around. At least just to get the groove back. I know, after a long break your body isn't what it used to be. But, if it can handle that pavement again at least a little, skiboarding should be a lot easier to develop for you.
      I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

haha k2 fatty's remind me of the time i went over to kel makinze's (dont think thats spelled right) house and saw his busted up k2 fatty's on the ground after trying the leap of faith......ahhhh miss those days! good luck to you and yea i am going to put them on and skate. he left me razors juggernaut G7's w/ 50/50 frames with a anti rocker set up. now my g/f is pressuring me to skate again!!!!!!! haha

Comment

You've got a good, caring girl friend. Listen to her.
          I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

ya its nice to have someone that will push you and care at the same time. cant wait for this 100 plus weather to go! then again maybe its a good chance to throw them skates on and see what kind of trouble i can get into! it is a good feeling to see all the new skaters but at the same time a lot of them that i met don't have the same passion that we all shared back in the day. it has changed. props to the few that have kept going. cant wait to see and experience the skiboard culture i guess you can say.

Comment

My other issue with the new generation of skaters is style. The lack that individual style we had back in the day. I hate seeing backslides, torques, fishbrains, etc... and spins without grabs. And the way skates are designed tricks like royales are so much easier because you don't have to lean back as much. If fatties could support my ankles I would get the newest model.

You don't like riding in the heat? I love hitting rails and flipping steps in the heat. It makes it seem like I'm working harder and paying my dues more, haha.
              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

rollerwarehouse.com

I got mine from here and they give you lots discounts.
                and answer all your questions as well.
                It helped me to get my first aggressive inline skate.
                expecting to be here in 2 days!!!

I got so excited visited 3-4 skate parks around my area without my skates.
                there's one very close from my place in public park.
                In Baltimore, There's this movement.. .SOB. skatepark of Baltimore. trying to build many skateparks for skaters. and creating better and safer environment for kids.
                this park was poorly designed and dirty but i can still practice.

there's another skatepark that i have to pay.
                but got lots of features. will go there once i get used to some tricks.

Dave, I can't wait till ride inline skate and skiboard with you.
                it's always fun riding with you. i 'll try to keep an eye on this site and see if i can make trips to where you ride.
                hahahahahaha

PS: i got razor genesys 7.1 (customized). hopefully this should be good for my first pair.
                2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

JPARK, you been to Charm City in Brewers Hill? Loved that place to death. Cheap, nice owners, not tooo big and was close to my old crib.

And yeah they still make Razors. Picked myself up a pair of brand new Cult 7s off of Craigslist for $30! Tried skating after years and years of not and my feet hurt like whoa. Last week soaked my liners in hot water and wore them around the house, hopefully that helps. Or maybe my foots screwed up, always my left foot hurting in skates and ski boots.

Anyone remember Arlo Eisenberg? Dude was champ back in the day.
                  Snow Line Mike Nick Pros - Line FF Pro "red" bindings - Atomic Hawx 80 boots
                  Street Razor Cult 7

Comment

Originally posted by b00stzx3 View Post
                    JPARK, you been to Charm City in Brewers Hill? Loved that place to death. Cheap, nice owners, not tooo big and was close to my old crib.

And yeah they still make Razors. Picked myself up a pair of brand new Cult 7s off of Craigslist for $30! Tried skating after years and years of not and my feet hurt like whoa. Last week soaked my liners in hot water and wore them around the house, hopefully that helps. Or maybe my foots screwed up, always my left foot hurting in skates and ski boots.

Anyone remember Arlo Eisenberg? Dude was champ back in the day.
                    not sure if it's in Brewers Hill. Charmcity in baltimore city. i think there's only one.
                    I went there before i got my skates. and it was pretty nice.
                    Now i have my skates.. but just practicing basics on local park. I can't grind yet.
                    I am practicing basic soul, mizou grinds now. lol
                    once i got little things down, i am going to charm city!
                    are you going to the charm city any time soon?
                    there's no inline skaters around here. it will be nice to skate together.
                    2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

Arlo was and still is the man. Since Roces ended he rides Valos, which are just Majestic 12s with fabric on them. He even has his own model skate and they are pink. Pretty dope looking. It was a bummer to see Senate go under. To me that is like seeing Rollerblade go under. Speaking about Rollerblade, Chris Edwards is running a skate park in western PA. Kirk Thompson skated there not too long ago. I'm pretty sure thats the place he dislocated his shoulder at. b00stzx3, are you new to skiboarding?
                      I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

Originally posted by JPARK View Post
                        not sure if it's in Brewers Hill. Charmcity in baltimore city. i think there's only one.
                        I went there before i got my skates. and it was pretty nice.
                        Now i have my skates.. but just practicing basics on local park. I can't grind yet.
                        I am practicing basic soul, mizou grinds now. lol
                        once i got little things down, i am going to charm city!
                        are you going to the charm city any time soon?
                        there's no inline skaters around here. it will be nice to skate together.
                        I might hit it up one of these weekends, shoot me a PM when yuou're thinking about going. I'll be moving back to Bmore this spring in the Dundalk/Essex area so I'll be in there every night when I move! But for now I can hitup a weekends. I don't have anyone to skate with. Half my friends getting married and crap haha. And yeah, Brewers Hill is a hood in bmore city. Its in between Canton and Greektown... where the Natty Boh towers are at.

Nah I'm not new to skiboarding. I started back when I was 13-14 when snowblades were demos... bought a pair and used em a long time. Got some Mike Nick Pros last year and its a whole new world I gotta relearn, riding something that ain't complete junk! I used to skate way back when up until i was 14 or 15...stopped, i'm 24 now and have been getting back into it.

Sorry to threadjack but..

does anyone know good ways to break in skates? I soaked mine in hot water and wore the liners around the house, hoping it makes them more comfy.
                        Snow Line Mike Nick Pros - Line FF Pro "red" bindings - Atomic Hawx 80 boots
                        Street Razor Cult 7

Comment

well the title of this thread is perfect for me too.

After 11 years (coincedence) im putting on skates tonight for the 1st time and going to a skatepark.

my friend out of nowhere just got a pair so i had to.

I was looking online but i needed them NOW haha so i just got a decent pair from the only skate shop around.

I know they are not the best skates u can get my i just wanna get back on skates and see how i feel (since my feet are still hurt)

i cant picture doing many soul tricks or royales right now cause thats all done on the exact part of my foot thats hurt!! but im gonna try and tough it out and see whats up.

here they are in my trunk fresh from the store! going to a 6-8pm session at a local indoor skatepark.

Comment

UPDATE- last night was awesome it felt crazy getting back on skates and me and my friend ended up doing WAY better than we thought! im back !

Comment

I am so stoked to come back east and skate with everyone. Hackettstown Skate Sesh on Saturday, November 27, in northern New Jersey.
                              I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

Comment

cool, im gonna try and get down there. its like a hr and a half from me, not so bad.

2nd night back at the skatepark tonight!

so why u planning on only skating? dont think we will be lucky enough to get any skiing in thanksgiving week?

Comment

Working...
                                X