Release- vs Non-release bindings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release- vs Non-release bindings

Okay, so I gotta ask... and I'm sure some people will point me to an already-existing forum, because I'm sure this has been asked before (and that's okay).

Why choose non-release over release bindings?

I know that release bindings are safer, yet my overall impression from reading these forums is that most people have non-release.

So tell me:
    -Is it that non-release is more fun?
    -Is it that non-release bindings offer greater confidence when doing tricks?
    -Is it that non-release is less expensive?
    -Is it that non-release (not on risers) makes you more "one" with your boards?

I've always bought into the release system after reading that non-release was unsafe, but now I'm thinking that release bindings are "for the masses" on the hills who rent Snowblades and the ski resorts have to cover their asses since people will tend to do stupid things. Am I right?

I always assumed that for my second set of boards, I would use my existing risers/release bindings, but maybe someone can give me a good reason to consider a non-release!

The floor is open...

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
       Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
       Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
       Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
    Bindings
       Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
       Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
    Other
       Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
       Sims T22 Omen helmet

Already discussed here:

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...=&threadid=248

Here's the section from it:

Q. Do skiboard bindings release?
    A. Some do, some do not. Examples of non-release bindings are: Bomber Elite, Groove X1 and Snowjam's Extreme II. The best releasable solution, and the only ones we sell, are the Spruce Mountain Riser/Bindings . They use the universal 4cm x 4cm insert pattern and allow more board to flex then any other release binding solution, by far.

Q. Which are better, 4x4 non-release or 4x4 release bindings (Spruce risers/bindings)?
    A. As with most things there are pro's and con's to both. The decision is a personal one because the weight each person places on each pro and con varies depending on the individual.

*Non-release bindings*
    Pro's:
    - Typically less expensive then release bindings
    - Lighter then release bindings
    - Easier to adjust
    - Offers the tightest connection possible between boots and boards
    Con's:
    - Do not release (for some this is a pro)
    - Slightly more difficult to get into especially for beginners
    - Most mountains require leashes with non-release bindings however to mitigate the downside to leashes we recommend the low profile coil and string leashes we sell in our "protection" section

*Release bindings*
    Pro's:
    - Step-in
    - They release
    - Some offer the possibility to use brakes instead of leashes
    Con's:
    - Heavier then non-release
    - More expensive then non-release
    - By nature of the release mechanism they do not offer as tight a connection as non-release however with the new aluminum 2.0 risers it's getting close
    - Setup involves DIN and forward pressure settings

Comment

Well I tried to answer this question via direct experiment
      here is the result

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=6716

one year later .. I am riding all my Revel 8 boards with non release bindings, Sherpa and Spruce 120 , of course , with riser and release ...

bottom line for me , the riser/release system is great and performance is certainly on par with the non releasers ., the biggest difference for me is the light weight of the non releasers , the lighter feel of the board binding combo which I love... I know I am taking a calculated risk ... I defintely feel that the release system is safer .. but I am choosing to take the risk because of the different feel which I like.
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I'm conflicted about this as well. I'm gonna try the two on my KTP this spring and see which one I like more.
        Revel8 2009 KTP
        Spruce Pro 75
        Full Tilt 2009 High Five

Comment

weight is a major factor. if you have rode non-release for a while....like myself, then you notice the weight. non is much lighter.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

After over ten years on skiboards, I have slowly converted to release. It came about because I ride the 120 90% of the time, so have gotten to like the feel of release. BUT. I set the DIN way up at 9, so I am really well locked in. Will they release when/if I need them to? Keep you posted on that
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

Are nonrelease bindings safe for aggressive riding on a KTP?
              In other words if you crash, is there a good chance of getting a leg injury?

Comment

kenmtb, the safe use of non-release bindings depends on your height. For KTPs, the risk gods have deemed that the minimum height to safely use non-release bindings is 5'6".

This is due to the swing length both in front and behind your feet, and the potential torque the boards can inflict on your legs/ankles if they get caught. Keep in mind that for KTPs, when you set your bindings back 4 cm, there will be more board in front of you and therefore higher risk.
                '07 Revel8 BWPs / Orange Line FF Pros
                '07 Revel8 Tanshos (GF's)
                '07 Spruce 120cm / Ally Risers / Tyrolia SL 75s
                Boots: Dalbello Krypton Rampages

Comment

I've never used release bindings myself, but I really like the light "locked-in" feel of non-release bindings (especially Bombers). Also, I use alpine snowboarding boots, so I have no choice.

A lot of the risk with non-release also has to do with how you fall. I've had some nasty wipeouts on my KTP's, but I've yet to injure my legs. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that I instantly flip onto my back with my legs up to keep from catching on anything. I'll slide like this until I either come to a stop or slow down to a point where I feel comfortable rotating to start braking with the boards. If you flail about trying to catch yourself right after a high speed fall, you have a good chance of having your leg wrenched by a board sticking on something.

My suggestion if you want to try non-release, don't go cheap. Pick up some Bombers, Zeroes, or Receptors to use. You'll have the best experience that way. Bindings like the SnowJam X2's and the Grooves are decent and will suffice, especially if you're really light, but they can't match the performance of the bigger bindings.
                  RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Working...
                  X