Rumspringas vs BWPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumspringas vs BWPs

Well I recently got my Rumspringa MJ's, and given the sucky weather we've been having around Toronto (cold and not much new snow) I haven't even had the chance to try them out yet! And that means I've been spending a lot of time on SBOL looking at more equipment!

I've become curious about the BWP's... I know they're a bit shorter and wider than my Rum's... does anyone else have anything to say about them? What are their advantages/disadvantages over what I have?

Thanks!

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
       Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
       Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
       Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
    Bindings
       Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
       Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
    Other
       Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
       Sims T22 Omen helmet

I too am curious about their differences. I just got a pair of 07 BWPs and will try them out at Winter Park this week, but I've been interested in the Rumspringas for a long time.

I own 95cm Line Bullets and I loved how they rode; a longer, more stable version with the blunt tips would be even more heavenly (at least in my mind).
    '07 Revel8 BWPs / Orange Line FF Pros
    '07 Revel8 Tanshos (GF's)
    '07 Spruce 120cm / Ally Risers / Tyrolia SL 75s
    Boots: Dalbello Krypton Rampages

Comment

You've got to head a bit north. I really enjoyed riding last friday night up in Collingwood. The snow was a bit weird when I first got there, but then it got significantly better. I think it was probably one of the best nights I've had this season.

That being said, some snow in Toronto wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Comment

Before I say anything, this is purely from my personal experiences.
        it may not be the case for other people.

MJ/Rocket:

I had this last year. I bought rocket thinking the same thing. since I was more used to narrow Ski (15-20 years of regular ski), i would have more fun with Rocket. When i first ride them, it was very hard for me to do "hockey stop". for me, I use lots of bases when riding and stopping (except for when i do carving), so it was very hard for me to ride them. another important point is that these are very fast. very easy to get on the edges since they are narrow.
        which created lots of speed. i am not big fan of speed.
        so high speed, hard to stop... these two things made me very uncomfortable in the slopes. back then i wasn't doing anything on the park, so i dont know how they are in the park. but in the park they should be fine.
        with low speed, I could do everything i wanted. even hockey stop
        but it was when i reached high speed, it was just very hard for me.
        (i was riding Revolt tree and Rocket back then. so all comparison here is revolt vs. rocket)

BWP

I just got used BWP. I like BWP more than rocket just because i can stop better at high speed. but at low speed i think they have similar feels.
        BWPs are light so it was very easy to control. and it also carved great and there was enough bases that i could use before getting on the edges.
        but only thing about BWP was that when there were pack of snows.... you wanna go around it. unlike KTP, they won't float.

last thing about Rocket/MJ and BWP... i personally love the graphics of rumspringas... i think it looks so much better than BWPs. but in performance wise, i liked the BWP better.
        2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

The Rumspringas sound similar to LINE Bullets in performance. I remember the Bullets I had were so fast at times that they were scary.
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

I posted the following in response to another rider's question recently. Another perspective for your consideration:

My wife is close to your size and has now riden the Tanshos, MJ and BWPs with releasable bindings. Here are my observations on her ride on each:

Tanshos: The skiboard she started with. Tight turning radius makes it easy to control your speed. Requires more effort front to back to maintain balance on uneven terrain.

MaryJanes: Great cuiser for grooomers with large turn radius, allowing it to get good speed if you want. Very easy to get on edge, intuitive ride, takes no effort to get on edge. At 5' 0", my wife finds the length a little long on chopped up terrain. (feels the tips getting caught, and she needs to take more care on selecting her path).

BWP: Just spent the week riding variaious terrain and seems to take the best of both the Tanshos and MJs. Easily handles chopped up terrain, is easy to manouver and tip catching did not seem to be an issue, but with the extra width compared to the MJ, they take a little more focus to stay on edge.

My recommendation is if you will be on groomers the majority of your time, get the MJ. If you will venture off in to uneven terrain, get the BWP.
            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I can't do a direct board-to-board comparison as I've never ridden the BWPs, though I do have the Lacroix 99's which aren't far off in terms of size (just much stiffer). But I will say that the rumpringas (Mary Janes) on hard-pack groomers are just fantastic.

As previous posters have said, they are FAST - really fast. In fact, they only seem to reach their full potential at high speeds (they go through the bumps, rather than over them).

So if you want to pick up some serious speed on groomers - rumspringas all the way. If you're not so much of a corduroy-based speedfreak, maybe the BWPs (but, as I say, I haven't ridden them)

Scribbler

Comment

I've ridden both and prefer the BWP's over them Rumspringa's; mainly I liked the width of the BWP's over the Rum's. AS for the lengths, both are fine but the BWP as a whole package is pretty dang fun for any rider at any level and great for the parks! The Rum's to me, seemed like a easy going cruiser board and more ski-like due to it being narrower than your typical Revel 8 board. If I was boder line BWP-RUM I'd go BWP... if I was borderline RUM-REVOLT I'd go Revolt.
                C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

i bought Pinkkid's BWPs initially to let other people try them out and/or just goof off with them. They are a blast and am actually using them the most this season. i also ride the Revolts ( a bit off topic ) but to me the BWPs actually hold the straight line better for me bombing down the hill than the Revolts but also have crazy maneuverability. Ride these with non-releasers and you can't go wrong.

I'm 5'6" 140 lbs, so if you're a bigger/smaller person you might get their feedback, too.
                  Spruce 120s!!!
                  KTPs
                  BWPs
                  Extreme II bindings w/ Rossignol Soft Light 1 boots; snowboard bindings w/ "strut" garage riser and boa snowboard boots; Spruce composite risers/C609 bindings
                  Snowjam 75s for da kids; Summit 85s for kids' friends and the occasional odd experiment

Comment

Working...
                  X