Boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boots

So now that I have my boards, I've been boot shopping.

I saw these at my ski shop, and I tried them on:
    http://www.salomon.com/caus/?#/ski/boots/boots/kreation

I guess what drew me to them was how they looked (I've always disliked the look of traditional ski boots, and these are a lot different).

Does anyone have an opinion on them based on those specs? (Salomon Kreation in case the link doesn't work.)

Also, the guy at the store seemed a little strange. He insisted that my toes should touch the end of the boots, and even if it was a bit painful (which it was), the boot liners would stretch out over time. However, I know when I've rented boots, they were never that uncomfortable! These just felt extremely cramped and my feet were sore when I got them off. I didn't buy them, and instead figured I'd float around these forums before making a final decision.

Does anyone have any advice on choosing a good boot? I really don't want to spend a lot....

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
       Revel8 2010 Revolt "Bullseye" 105cm
       Revel8 2009 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
       Revel8 2009 Tansho 90cm (BriGirl's)
    Bindings
       Spruce 2011 Pro Jr Risers & Head Release Bindings
       Spruce 2010 Pro Lite Risers & Roxy Release Bindings (BriGirl's)
    Other
       Salomon 2009 Mission x4 boots
       Sims T22 Omen helmet

Did the guy at the store pull the liner out and have you put the boot on so he could make some checks of the shell clearance to your foot? He should have.

Check this thread out so you know what the boot fitter should be checking for.
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...t=boot+fitting
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

as for the Kreation boots, I have the exact ones, and they're dang comfortable. Spent about 8 hours in them yesterday, and only right near the very end (after many trips up and down hiking the park) was there any discomfort. I've got no problems with heel lift or anything of that sort which I've noticed, doing tip stand and stuff like that while waiting for friends to bind up.

You can read my review both through This Link and at Skiboard Review
      2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Don't go for that advice about the toes touching. If you do, the toes should just barely touch no matter how you stand. Since you tend to be upright in skiboards a lot, if you touch too much, your toes will be black and blue by the end of the day. This advice is for a skier with a lot of forward lean in his stance. I suggest you look at boots that are comfortable. Intermediate level is best. My opinion.

Wendell
        Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Okay so now I'm really confused :S

I know for a fact that once the liners are heated, they actually DO feel better. I know my toes should be touching the front, but I'm not sure by how much.... I would hate to get the wrong size. I'm going to go shopping some more tomorrow...

In any case, I know that there are different "flex" ratings. What would be a good one for skiboards? I'd call myself "recent intermediate" but mostly stick to groomed greens and blues. But maybe I'd get into tricks eventually. The Salomon Kreations I tried out supposedly had high flex.

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
          Bindings
          Other
             Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

I don't actually know what the flex rating is on the Kreations, but as they're a freestyle boot, I'm fairly certain it's probably a bit of a softer flex. I just know that they feel right to me when I'm heading down the slopes.

And if your foot fits the shell right, then when they're heat molded, I would think it should be good. But I'd wait for someone that's more experienced in the field to comment on that.
            2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

bri,

The most important thing to remember about boots is to make sure the shell is right for your feet, not only in length but clearance around all areas of your foot. The liner can only compensate so much. If the shell is too small, you will know right away because of the extreme discomfort. If the shell is too big, it may feel comfortable initially with the liner, but after a few runs it will be loose and you will have no control and it will be uncomfortable. This is why it is important to have a professional boot fitter do the fitting, or if you are doing it yourself, you know what to check.
              sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I'm actually looking at boots atm also, I'm going to try and get them al's skibarn they have a good return policy.

Funny enough I was totally thinking about going to Toronto to get fitted and get some custom beds since I can not find a good upstate ski shop besides Holiday Valley which would only save me an hour drive time vs. Toronto and would have less selection.

Its cool to see someone else who is around my age who is also just getting started, if you ever ski Bristol or HV, let me know. I'm pretty awful, but I bet it would be fun to meetup.

Comment

Where did you end up going to get fitted? I know of at least three different places in Toronto where I could go to look at boots, and they all carry different lines.

Comment

Originally posted by dis View Post
                    Where did you end up going to get fitted? I know of at least three different places in Toronto where I could go to look at boots, and they all carry different lines.
                    I went to Sporting Life (Yonge north of Eglinton). I find them pricey, compared to the sale that Sport Chek is offering right now. I really don't want to spend a lot (under $200 would be nice).

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
                    Bindings
                    Other
                       Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

Ok, they're where I was considering getting fitted. There's also Skiis and Biikes on Don Mills, and The Sign of the Skier a bit further north on Yonge (still south of Eglington). I've never been in to those two stores though. Skiis and Biikes has a section of their web site bragging about their boot-fitting if you're interested.

I agree with you that sporting life can be expensive. Hopefully nearer the end of the season when I'm looking they will be trying to clear out this season's stock and offering some deals.

SportChek does have some decent deals, but I'm not sure I'd want to shop there. I don't know if I would get the level of service/knowledge that I would want for something like a set of ski boots.

Comment

It's a tough call. I really want to buy boots before end-of-season so that I can still enjoy the rest of this season

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
                        Bindings
                        Other
                           Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

I just picked up Full Tilt Bumblebee Pros (2009 model on clearance). They're crazy looking compared to regular boots (meets your criteria there) and have the heat molded liners that conform to your foot. Right now they're quite tight on me in the foot but because they're cushioned and molded not uncomfortable...best of both worlds (stability AND comfort).
                          2008 Revolt "Trees" with Blue Groove X1's
                          2007 BWPs with Line FreeFlex

"It isn't for the moment you are struck that you need courage, but for the long up hill battle to faith, sanity and security." - Anne Lindbergh

Comment

Thanks for all the advice!

In the end I decided to go to Sport Chek last night (a big sports chain up here in Canada) and they were actually quite helpful there. I picked up a pair of Salomon Mission X4's on sale for $159 (regular $199):
                            http://www.sportchek.ca/product/inde...ductId=3724210

I wish so many ski boots weren't RED/gray/black (they don't match my white/blue/green/yellow Rumspringa MaryJanes AT ALL)... but my pant legs will be mostly hiding the boot anyways. Sometimes you gotta go for price and comfort over looks!

I also tried on a pair of similar HEAD's and a more upscale Salomon, but the lower-end ones felt better and had more flex, which I prefer.

SBOL Team III Rider

Skiboards
                            Bindings
                            Other
                               Sims T22 Omen helmet

Comment

Working...
                            X