Older Boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older Boards?

I am new and bought some used skiboards on ebay before I found out about this site. I managed to get my hands on some cheapy's last summer for $20 and loved the shit out of them for 3 days at the mountain so far, so it was time to upgrade.

I bought some NEW/Old stock Journey's and some used Line Five-O's not really knowing what I was buying. Upon recieving the boards I am extremely excited to try the journeys merely based on the look. I'll be heading up this weekend to try both pairs out. (by the way, my girlfriend is pissed that i'm giving up snowboarding for skiboarding)

I was just wondering anyone's thoughts on the boards I now have (the cheapy's are getting given away to get others hooked!)

Journey - I have no idea the model. They look capped by fiberglass. A very unfinished look to them. Kind of yellow in color with a yellow base and red logo

Line Five-O - with FF Cam bindings.

Thanks everyone
    Xander

I'll be at either Boreal or Sierra this weekend!!! Jan 22 - 24 '10
    '11 DLP
    '10 Condor / Black Zero Pro
    '10 KTP
    Journey boards and bindings
    '09 Tansho / FF-CAMS (GF's)
    Line Five-O (GF's)
    Groove AF1 / Groove cheapy's
    and not to forget my beloved first boards... Crazy Blades!!!!
    A big ass PA system, so lets throw a f*cking party!
    www.f1rstclasscitizen.com

Full Tilt - First Chair

Journeys are pretty hard to find these days.

Both of these boards will be fine starter boards. By comparison to modern skiboards these are much skinnier. The width of newer boards will give you more stability and float in powder. I've never ridden Journey's, but I think they were pretty wide for their time, but still rather short.

If you feel a little unstable you may want to consider getting a new pair off SBOL. The skiboard technology/design has come quite a way since these older boards were made.

Comment

xxxander , welcome ! another sacramento guy , great !
      You scored some nice old boards ..
      A nice resource to get info on old boards is skiboard magazine's data base

http://www.skiboardmagazine.com/data/databoards.html

Here is the data on your Journey boards
      Journey
      (Out Of Business)

Name N/A (Discontinued)
      Length: 87 cm
      Tip/Waist/Tail Width: 13.7/10.9/13.7 cm
      SideCut: 4.05 m
      Tail/Tip Height: 4.1/4.1 cm
      Stance Back From Center: 0 mm
      Running Length: N/A
      Binding Pattern: 4x4
      Core: Wood
      Base: 1500 FS Base P-Tex
      Graphics: Journey made graphics to customers choice of styles and colours

Here is the data on your line 5-0 boards
      Line Five-O ( Discontinued)
      Lenght: 90 cm
      Tip/Waist/Tail Width: 11.9/10.4/11.9 cm
      SideCut: 8.5 m
      Tail/Tip Height: N/A
      Stance Back From Center: 0
      Running Length: N/A
      Binding Pattern: 4x4
      Core: Wood
      Base: N/A
      Graphics: N/A

Here is the data on a modern high performance 90 cm board similar in length to your two boards
      Revel8 Tansho 90 cm (base length) 87.5 (tip to tip length ) turning radius , 4. 80 dimensons 13.5/10.5/13.5 tip and tail height 4.5/4.5

You can see that the Revel8 tansho is quite similar to your Journey skiboard . Although I have not ridden the Journey , those who have really like them .. I think Can , on this forum , has one and can chime in . I would say that your Journey skiboard was very nice and wide for it's day and should perform similar to the Revel8 Tansho and be a great ride . The major problem will be flotation in pow off trail especially in the very deep snow we are currently getting in the Sierras .. for that stuff the much wider and longer modern skiboards will do better.

Here are some reviews of the Tansho which should give you an idea of how the Journey will be like
      http://www.skiboardreview.com/tansho.html

The Line 5-0 are nice boards but significantly narrower then the modern 90 cm boards , and a less turnier side cut radius ..
      Fookisan on this forum has them and loves them , even likes them better then the wider modern skiboards. the Line 5/0's should be real nice on groomed snow .. the Journey and of course the modern Tansho should do better in variable broken snow .. once you get the taste of going into the pow , you may want longer and wider skiboards... but basically you have a very nice start on skiboarding with your two boards ...
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Awesome!!! thats good to know! I'm glad I got decent equipment. If only I had known about this site beforehand!
        Thanks for the info! I hope to see you all on the mountain some day (help teach me some shit!)
        '11 DLP
        '10 KTP
        Line Five-O (GF's)

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

I have both models and have ridden both. The Lines are definitely much thinner than most modern boards and will not perform as well. Having said that, they also have much more of a "skate" feel to them, and are a lot of fun in the park.

The Journeys are one of my favorite boards. Treat them well? because they are rare and quite unique. As Jack pointed out, they are similar to the newer Revel8 boards in width, but they have (I think) a more aggressive sidecut and a stiffer flex to them. They will not ride in powder as well as Tanshoes probably would, but they are sweet on groomers. One other similarity to the Revel8's is the blunt tips they have. This gives more effective edge in a shorter package.

Enjoy them. They are a great way to enter the sport.
          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by xxxander View Post
            ..........I hope to see you all on the mountain some day
            Get out and practice so you can join us at Shredfest starting February 27th in North Lake Tahoe. Here are details: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=9165
            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Hi All,

I did have the Journeys and liked them, I just liked my KTP's better so I sold them to Crazyboy-1. They do ride similar to the Revel 8's. They are a stiffer board that carves well. You will like them xxxander. I had a site bookmarked all about the Journey boards, but when I went to it today it came up page not found. Ride them and have fun, add more boards as you want, but I think you have good quality boards. As slow said please come join us at Shredfest as you can see and maybe try some other boards to make comparisons with.

Chad
              64 CM Bigfoot’s
              100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
              110 CM Rockered Condors
              130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

OK, so first day yesterday on real boards. I was only able to try out the Journeys as a friend of mine was trying the five-o's out. One word described my experience! AMAZING! Those things are amazing! I am so in love with this sport. I feel that I progressed so much yesterday. oh, and the difference in feel from the cheapy's 8 hole bindings and the 4x4 patern is huge! I could tell the second I put the boards on!

I will never get rid of the Journeys! I want to find the guy that made them and give him a hug!
                '11 DLP
                '10 KTP
                Line Five-O (GF's)

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

Glad to hear that you had a good time. Just don't ride the Journeys too hard in the park. From what I understand, they can be slightly brittle. I've hit some boxes on my one set, and they did well, but I won't ride them in the park regularly.
                  RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Thanks, good advice. I think i'm going to try to get comfy on my five-o's for the park. Thinking about looking into the KTP's for the more powder days. any thoughts on that? I want a longer wider board, but not too long. I've always been an inline skater and the length scares me :/
                    '11 DLP
                    '10 KTP
                    Line Five-O (GF's)

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

. I've always been an inline skater and the length scares me :/
                      thats what she said! HAHA!
                      '11 DLP
                      '10 KTP
                      Line Five-O (GF's)

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

How tall/heavy are you if you don't mind saying. I'm 6'1 and around 180, and I love my KTPs for everything. I've also got Revolts, but those have become my loaner boards.
                        2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

I am 6' 180 lbs. I am still pretty green. Havn't tried any rails or boxes yet. Mostly just riding and jumping. but my friends love the powder and my journeys are a little short (or it could be my lack of experience)
                          '11 DLP
                          '10 KTP
                          Line Five-O (GF's)

Full Tilt - First Chair

Comment

if we can hook up I can let you try out some R8s (I have a few pairs :-)

Dave
                            Dave | Elevendy

Comment

I am 6' 180 lbs. I am still pretty green. Havn't tried any rails or boxes yet. Mostly just riding and jumping. but my friends love the powder and my journeys are a little short (or it could be my lack of experience)
                              If you intend to keep pushing yourself, I'd say they're probably a great board for you. I noticed the width the first couple times after I got them compared to my Revolts (which are probably a fair bit wider already then the Lines), but I got used to that fairly quick.

But the boards love to be pushed, the harder I carve the more they hold it, and I never did much in the way of boxes/rails on my Revolts, but it feels quite natural on the KTPS.
                              2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Working...
                              X