Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Maintenance

Hey guys whatsup!

Just ordered myself a pair of skiboards on SBOL and still waiting for them to arrive...

just have a few questions about how to treat your gear...
    e.g. do they normally come prewaxed?
    how often do you guys wax the boards?
    any special treatment for the sides?

any tipps are appreciated!

Based on the info I have received the boards will come with a very thin layer of factory wax. It was also explained to me that they should be hotwaxed after the first or second use. As for edges and other maintenance I will let another more educated skiboarder fill ya in. Think there is a great thread on hotwaxing with pics included... If someone could link that. <---NoOb.
    Stayed tuned for my review on the 2010 Salomon SPK KAOS boots!!

Revel8 Revolt Trees
    Revel8 Black Receptor Bindings
    2010 Salomon SPK KAOS Boots

Comment

Originally posted by d310n9 View Post
      Hey guys whatsup!

Just ordered myself a pair of skiboards on SBOL and still waiting for them to arrive...

just have a few questions about how to treat your gear...
      e.g. do they normally come prewaxed?
      how often do you guys wax the boards?
      any special treatment for the sides?

any tipps are appreciated!

I do believe they come with a thin prewax. I wax my boards about every 2 times I go out. Most hot waxes are generally to preserve the base of your board than to increase the glide/speed of your boards. However, some waxes are exceptions. I also apply a topical wax (rub on wax) every time I go out. This gives the boards a nice glide for a while until it rubs off.
      Purchase a waxing iron and some wax and learn how to wax your boards yourself. Search and you'll find a bunch of threads on how to wax your boards. Its fairly simple. It will save you a whole lot of money and trips to the ski shop. I sharpen my edges about once a season depending on if rust appears on them or not.

Another good tip is to have a towel in your car to wipe your boards down after you hit the slopes. This will reduce the amount of rust that will come up on your edges. I always store my skis inside for the night to thaw out and any remaining snow that is caked into the bindings to melt off.

Comment

Check out this thread for waxing.

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ghlight=waxing

Check out this thread for beveling your edges.

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...light=beveling
        08 Condors -> FF Pros | 08 KTPs -> FF Pros | Line Sun 83s -> Line comp. Freeblocks

Comment

All Revel8 skiboards come with a factory wax. As Fre noted, this will only last for one or two days. The frequency of your waxing after that will be determined by several factors; how you wax, the conditions you're in, and how hard you ride. If you hot wax, the wax will last for a few days in the right conditions. If you use a paste or rub-on wax, you'll need to touch things up more often. If you ride on man-made snow a lot, the wax will be stripped off of your bords more quickly than if you're riding in fluffy natural snow. This also applies to riding on groomers versus powder. Lastly, I've noticed that the harder I ride the more I need to wax. If I'm working with some beginners and just cruising along, the boards stay in good condition for a while. If I'm doing hard carving runs and hitting the park, the wax gets worn off much more quickly.

That's all just from my personal experiences though. Others may disagree.
          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

hot wax about every 4-5 rides
            dry edges with towel
            if you see any rust, you can easily remove them by using gummy stones.

you can find tuning kits including iron, wax, tool kits, gummy stones and all on SBOL. G got great selections on there.

these will keep your skiboards last for a long time
            2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

sweet, thx for the advice guys! and also for the two links, should help me get stuff done

any specifics on choosing the kind of wax? like if i was gonna go for hotwax whats recommendable? combining rub on wax just before hitting the slopes with hotwax at home any good idea?

i've been skiing for a while (no flaming plz xD) and am probably not gonna start off with skiboards with hitting the park and any big airs xD...probably gonna spend the season more getting used to them...in china i'm probably gonna be on mostly artificial snow...or best maybe a 50/50 mix haha...switzerland should be more natural i hope ^^;

thx again for all the posts!

Comment

Originally posted by swallowevil View Post
                Check out this thread for waxing.

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ghlight=waxing

Check out this thread for beveling your edges.

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...light=beveling
                I think this second link is important. It seems like everyone chips up the edges of their first boards. Beveling them can reduce alot of it.

Comment

wow i haven't seen anyone riding skiboards from china! that's great!!

well, if you wanna go into details on wax.. we can go on and on.
                  there are waxes for relatively hot weather, warm, and cold weather.
                  and universal wax which is for any weather.
                  i don't even bother to get those waxes for different weather.. too complicated.. lol

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merch...roduct_Count=1

this wax should do the work. i heard some great reviews on this wax.
                  2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

I can vouch for the Hertels. I've been doing my own boards with that this year, along with charging my friends a bit to do all of their stuff (I bought part of the bulk order that was on the forums here earlier in the year), and It's been super slick in all the warmer tempuratures that I've hit so far this year, but I also heard good things from some of my friends, who were up at Big White, where it was -15, plus wind chill from what I heard.

and to avoid some confusion, tempurature is in degrees celcius, as I'm one of the people who live north of the 49th parallel.
                    2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Its worth mentioning that all the Revel8/Spruce boards have sintered bases, which means they are to some extent porus. Each time you hot wax, the wax is absorbed INTO the base, it does not just sit on the top, so spend time on this. Give the wax time to sink in. Over multiple waxings, the bases develop a deep 'load', so performance stays better for longer. The more you hot wax, the better they get Not hot waxing them prevents you ever reaching the boards full potential.
                      At the end of the winter, I give my boards a heavy hot wax load, but dont scrape off the excess. I then wrap them in polythene and store them away. During the summer months, the natural oils in the wax seep into the bases and improve wax load (in theory). When winter comes, I get them out and re-wax them ready for the season. Most of my ski trips are a week or so long, so I am trying to make the wax last for a week. Mostly works out OK.
                      Having beat up bases re-ground removes most of this wax loaded layer so you have to start again.......................
                      Crossbow (go to dream board)
                      Most everything else over time.
                      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by d310n9 View Post
                        sweet, thx for the advice guys! and also for the two links, should help me get stuff done

any specifics on choosing the kind of wax? like if i was gonna go for hotwax whats recommendable? combining rub on wax just before hitting the slopes with hotwax at home any good idea?

i've been skiing for a while (no flaming plz xD) and am probably not gonna start off with skiboards with hitting the park and any big airs xD...probably gonna spend the season more getting used to them...in china i'm probably gonna be on mostly artificial snow...or best maybe a 50/50 mix haha...switzerland should be more natural i hope ^^;

thx again for all the posts!
                        I'll second JPARK on the hot sauce, I just tried some of it out this year and I'll never go back to using different temp waxes, this one does it all way better than the rest IMO.
                        08 Condors -> FF Pros | 08 KTPs -> FF Pros | Line Sun 83s -> Line comp. Freeblocks

Comment

I'm pretty new to having my own gear, and I'm wanting to take care of it as much as possible. I've got the stuff to hot wax my boards, but I havn't done so as I've only been out two nights so far. I've looked at the videos and understand the technique, what I'm wondering is how I tell when it's time to actually wax my boards? Does anyone have some suggestions to help my figure this out?

Comment

Originally posted by dis View Post
                            I'm pretty new to having my own gear, and I'm wanting to take care of it as much as possible. I've got the stuff to hot wax my boards, but I havn't done so as I've only been out two nights so far. I've looked at the videos and understand the technique, what I'm wondering is how I tell when it's time to actually wax my boards? Does anyone have some suggestions to help my figure this out?
                            More often is better than less is a good place to start Try to hot wax them about every 5th day on snow, with some rub on wax in between.
                            Crossbow (go to dream board)
                            Most everything else over time.
                            Go Android

Comment

Working...
                            X