Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So how do you actually get to the mountain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how do you actually get to the mountain?

I was considering posting this in the Gear section, but figured, it would be better suited here.

What do you guys use/drive to get to your mountain?

Car ? Truck? SUV ? Wagon ? Parents ? Bus ?

I started thinking of this while I was trying to get my car out of the driveway in the Ice/Snow. My car just does not fair well in the snow/ice and unless I have access to another car, or someone else is driving, I have to drive something that is low enough to plow the snow.

I do have snow tires on my car at the moment ( Dunlop WinterSport M3s ), but I don't think I would have the balls to drive it up north to Vermont, or Jay Peak. (I'm in Long Island, NY)

I have a feeling that there will be a lot of Subaru lovers on this forum. I used to have an 04 Impreza, and I definitely miss the AWD. I now have an 07 Infiniti G35 S Sedan (RWD), and I kick myself when I get stuck snowed in and my car is just stuck on a sheet of ice.

Here's a picture so that you can get idea of what I mean by "plow"

Right now I'm stuck in a Ford Focus...when I get a summer job I plan on saving up and getting a subie an kill'n it in the winters and rallying it in the off season.

I want either an Impreza, or Baja...or even an outback.
    Revel8 ALPdors
    Gold Revel8 Receptors
    Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
    ____
    Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
    If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

1990 corolla.
      Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Infinities are sweet looking cars, I love them. I have an 07 civic and a prius me and the wife bought. We've been taking the prius usually when we go on any sort of trip. Averaging 49.3 mpg so far. Also has plenty of room for all our crap which is nice.
        08 Condors -> FF Pros | 08 KTPs -> FF Pros | Line Sun 83s -> Line comp. Freeblocks

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
          1990 corolla.
          2009 corolla S!

That i just crashed into a curb no less, needs somee alignment, tire, and fender fix up.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

My Celica GT-4. All-Wheel Drive, Turbo, Right-Hand Drive. 145k KM on the odo.

If there's too much snow on the ground, it's a wee bit low, so it's also a plow, but with the winter's I've got on it, traction is no problem.

Hopefully I'll be getting coilover suspension this summer, and I'll get some height adjustability, so I can get it even lower for the summer, and raise'r back up for the winter.
            2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

It is an 800 mile drive for me to get to the mountain. I have a Mk5 VeeDub Golf, diesel, with cruise and air, snow chains for the climb up into the resort. Very competent, but a bit heavy up front.
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by Manlenium View Post
                2009 corolla S!

That i just crashed into a curb no less, needs somee alignment, tire, and fender fix up.
                I actually did the same after I got my car. I wasn't uses to the change in driving from awd to rwd and I accidentally hit a sandy spot and drifted right into a curb. The wheel was toast, the lower control arm had a chunk missing from it, the wheel hub and bearing and tie rod were both destroyed and it screwed up the steering rack. Luckily, I got Infiniti to replace everything under warranty. I'm thinking about getting an old beat up suv so that I won't have to worry about the weather so much, but I end up spending the money doing mote dumb stuff to the G.

Comment

Winter travel is best suited bumming rides or going on sunny days for myself. Reason stated below:

The car sucks in the winter. But i've managed to deal with it for the last 6 years. I'm currently looking at an 06 Wrangler X as a daily replacement.

Comment

I've been to Jay over a dozen times driving across southern Quebec to Vermont. Maybe once (leaving JayJam last year) I needed the AWD. I'm sure you'd be fine driving up there as long as you have winter rubber on.

In any case I'm rocking the 04 Forester XT right now, love this thing to death.

Red Square Sherpas

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                      I was considering posting this in the Gear section, but figured, it would be better suited here.

What do you guys use/drive to get to your mountain?

Car ? Truck? SUV ? Wagon ? Parents ? Bus ?

I started thinking of this while I was trying to get my car out of the driveway in the Ice/Snow. My car just does not fair well in the snow/ice and unless I have access to another car, or someone else is driving, I have to drive something that is low enough to plow the snow.

I do have snow tires on my car at the moment ( Dunlop WinterSport M3s ), but I don't think I would have the balls to drive it up north to Vermont, or Jay Peak. (I'm in Long Island, NY)

I have a feeling that there will be a lot of Subaru lovers on this forum. I used to have an 04 Impreza, and I definitely miss the AWD. I now have an 07 Infiniti G35 S Sedan (RWD), and I kick myself when I get stuck snowed in and my car is just stuck on a sheet of ice.

Here's a picture so that you can get idea of what I mean by "plow"

excellent car and i've contemplated getting the couple (RWD, MT). you should definitely check out the other tires for this. Dunlop Graspic, Michelin X-ice, Bridgestone Blizzak -- these are all studless snow tires that have a silica compound that stick like studs. I use them on my altima and wife's sentra and i'd say they're a must on your RWD beauty.
                      ~harry

@HarrySiii
                      -Skier turned snowboarder turned skiboarder
                      -RVL8 2010 KTP, RVL8 Receptors
                      -RVL8 EMP, Line FF Pro
                      -Deeluxe 225 (FINALLY a boot I can wear!)

Comment

I actually had the Blizzak LM25s back in the day. They were great, but the WinterSport M3s are pretty decent as well. I actually just got a flat with a huge gash on the side wall of my passenger front tire, so I'm riding around on a donut while TireRack sends me a new tire. D:

Comment

Toyota Tundra 4wd.... this is great in snow.
                          Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

I actually had the Blizzak LM25s back in the day. They were great, but the WinterSport M3s are pretty decent as well. I actually just got a flat with a huge gash on the side wall of my passenger front tire, so I'm riding around on a donut while TireRack sends me a new tire. D:
                            those are probably very good tires, but they still aren't the studless tires. Now, i'm not saying they will solve all your problems since I haven't driven your car in the snow with your tires, but I am guessing the graspic (or alternative studless snow) will be much much better for you in the snow. i just searched tirerack (where I buy mine and ordered 6 more today) and they do have the graspic for your car. if you look on the titles, they tell you which ones are studless....your wintersport are classified as performance snow, not studless snow.

just a thought. like i said..may not solve all your problems, but probably the best you'll get outside of putting chains on that thing. hehe
                            ~harry

@HarrySiii
                            -RVL8 EMP, Line FF Pro

Comment

were the blizzak lm25's studless as well?
                              ~harry

@HarrySiii
                              -RVL8 EMP, Line FF Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X