Is the spruce deal good enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the spruce deal good enough?

I was wondering if the spruce 120s would be okay for my first skiboards. The deal going on right now is crazy. My other finalist is the ALPs. I am looking to get releasables. My heart was set on the ALPs but I didn't see me getting them do to lack of money. I can't earn a lot of money because I can't have a job, go to school, and play baseball (I am a competitive baseball player) at the same time. So this deal has really opened the possibility of me getting skiboards. One thing I am concerned about is the construction of the spruce 120s (capped construction vs sidewall construction), I have read some of the threads on the two different constructions but I was wondering if they would apply to me as much as it would to others. I am not a hardcore skier, i just like carving and going fast but most importantly being in control. I mainly ski on groomers but they can get icy at times. I am 175ish, 6'0". I am mainly wondering if the spruce 120s will give me control on icy conditions and last for a long time.
    Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding.

They are a fantastic board. I imagine you might get some chatter out of them if you were to be carving seriously hard and seriously fast on hardpack... but I've never heard anyone complain about the ride. They have great edge hold on the icy stuff. I've not heard anyone on here have problems with the capped construction.

I had a pair for a while and I liked them, but my personal preference right now is shorter and wider boards... thus I enjoy the KTPs more and have Condors on the way.

IMHO ... if you come from skiing, the 120 would be a fantastic first board for you and truly capable of all-mountain riding. Great length for variable terrain, not too soft, nor too stiff.
    Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
    Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
    Full Tilt Boots
    Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

baseballphreak,

I assure you that Spruce 120's give outstanding control on ice and are very well constructed. Excellent questions. Of course, if you live on ice you'll want to keep those edges maintained. 0 degree base and 2 degree side. That's how they come from Spruce. I've had 120's going fast enough in Spring conditions that the tips quivered. It's a freaky experience because at those speeds the 120's just evaporate underneath you. You truly feel like you are wearing nothing. But, you set that carve and the 120 produces without fail. I personally find the 120 to be the boards all others are judged against. They are that versatile, that comfortable, that confidence inspiring. I also run 3 sets of the Spruce Prime Pro's. You are making an excellent choice.
      "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

You are certainly a good size for the 120s. The 120 actually has a reputation for being a very long lasting board, so you need have no fears over durability. If you have skied before, you will adapt to the 120 very quickly. I have both the ALP and 120, and love them both, but if I could only have one set of boards, it would be the 120s as I find them just that bit more versatile. Others may disagree of course, but the point is this: the Christmas 120 deal allows you to get a legendary board with release bindings at a really great price. The bindings should last forever and pretty much fit any 'proper' skiboard, so grab 'em while there are still some left, and add ALPs to your collection later when funds allow. Either way, have a great time with your new skiboards...............
        Crossbow (go to dream board)
        Most everything else over time.
        Go Android

Comment

The deal is too good to pas, you can always add more boards later..

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

I'm a little (lot) shorter than the OP and was wondering if they'd be a good choice for a first pair for me as well. 5'6", and that's rounding.

How much do they usually run before the sale. I think I'd much rather have the Revel8 Revolts, but that's outside of my price range. If next season I run into some dough, can I just get the Revel8s and stick the bindings on from the 120s?
            Excuse my newbness, I'm a newb.

Comment

Working...
            X