Release Vs. Non-Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release Vs. Non-Release

I am sure that this topic has been previously discussed, but I wanted to hear more opinions. I am new to skiboarding and own some skiboards with non-release bindings. I love the feel of them, but as my experience progresses and I start performing more difficult tricks I worry that I might be putting my physical condition in jeopardy. I was just wondering what were peoples preferences and why?

Yes, already discussed here: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...=&threadid=248

Here's the section from it:

Q. Do skiboard bindings release?
    A. Some do, some do not. Examples of non-release bindings are: Bomber Elite, Groove X1 and Snowjam's Extreme II. The best releasable solution, and the only ones we sell, are the Spruce Mountain Riser/Bindings . They use the universal 4cm x 4cm insert pattern and allow more board to flex then any other release binding solution, by far.

Q. Which are better, 4x4 non-release or 4x4 release bindings (Spruce risers/bindings)?
    A. As with most things there are pro's and con's to both. The decision is a personal one because the weight each person places on each pro and con varies depending on the individual.

*Non-release bindings*
    Pro's:
    - Typically less expensive then release bindings
    - Lighter then release bindings
    - Easier to adjust
    - Offers the tightest connection possible between boots and boards
    Con's:
    - Do not release (for some this is a pro)
    - Slightly more difficult to get into especially for beginners
    - Most mountains require leashes with non-release bindings however to mitigate the downside to leashes we recommend the low profile coil and string leashes we sell in our "protection" section

*Release bindings*
    Pro's:
    - Step-in
    - They release
    - Some offer the possibility to use brakes instead of leashes
    Con's:
    - Heavier then non-release
    - More expensive then non-release
    - By nature of the release mechanism they do not offer as tight a connection as non-release however with the new aluminum 2.0 risers it's getting close
    - Setup involves DIN and forward pressure settings

Comment

Always used non release except when I started. The old release bindings on my SB's were crap so I dumped them. Never got hurt. But I hear some people have with non release. I'll stick with non release myself. But I use 63's to 90's. If I was going to 120 I'd go with release probably.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. But on the subject of board length. I realize it pretty much comes down to preference. As of right now I have 90s with non-release , but I am hoping to be get a new pair later that will be 110. What kind of bindings would people prefer to use with these longer boards?

Comment

There are a few comments from riders in this thread/poll:
          http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=8679
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I use non release and I've never had any problems. Before I started boarding I used to be a skiier and I had some trouble with release bindings popping off when I didn't want them to (e.g. hitting a really hard mogul or landing halfway down a hill going full speed) even when my rentals were set as type 3.
            2008 Revolt "Trees" with Blue Groove X1's
            2007 BWPs with Line FreeFlex

"It isn't for the moment you are struck that you need courage, but for the long up hill battle to faith, sanity and security." - Anne Lindbergh

Comment

For the longer boards, it comes down to the size of the rider and your personal preference. I'm 6'3" and about 190lbs. I ride Condors with Bomber Elites with no problem. I always make sure to lift my boards away from the snow when I wipe out, and I've never had even the slightest twist in my legs. That changes just a bit in powdery glades, but even there I havn't regretted sticking with non-release.
              RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

how about telling us what type of riding you do ?

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

I mainly ride in the park including both rail and jumps. I also do some high speed carving, but still spend more time in the park.

Comment

Working...
                  X