Having trouble picking out my gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having trouble picking out my gear

Hey I just found out about skiboarding a few weeks ago and I've been crazed. I am eager to start up but I'm having a few issues with my setup:

- I'm 6' /150lbs/ with a 25 mondo size
    - I've been inline skating since middle school and snowboarding a few times
    - I want to ride everything

- I'm between '08 Revolts and '10 KTP's. I've look through the forum and feel like the KTP's would be better boards but I love the graphic on the Revolt "Trees". Maybe a stupid reason to pick a board but whatever. I can figure that one out on my own, but if you feel like commenting on it feel free.
    - Which ever ones I get I'm gonna mount Bomber Elite 2's to them.
    - My biggest issue is the boots. I've looked at the boots other people have talked about and recommended and they all look great until I look at the price. Are there a good pair of all-mountain boots out there that don't cost $500+? If not then I'll suck it up and by some, but I thought I'd check with everyone first.

- if there is as good thread for this already that I didn't find please just direct me to it. There's no need to mean. Thanks

On the skiboards; welcome to the problem we all have. Too many great choices. So just start buying and start a collection. Either the Revolt or KTP will be fine for you. If you expect a lot of powder riding go KTP, otherwise Revolt which is a great all round skiboard.

On boots, low end boots are fine, and actually better for skiboarding than some brands of high end boots. They are more upright and generally targeting riders that value comfort. Just make sure they are comfortable. One of the features that makes some boots more expensive is the heat moldable liner, that many do not have to take advantage of anyway.
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

With your lighter weight, I think the Revolt would be the better choice. They have a softer flex than the KTP's and are a great all-mountain design. I'm with you on the graphics too. My first pair of Revel8's were EMP's which have the same tree print.

My first pair of boots were sale items that were left over from a couple years prior. Models like that are limited in size, but the stores usually want to get rid of them, so it can be worth checking into for the cheaper price. Also, if you plan on sticking with non-release bindings, check out the classified section of the Bomber forums. There are sometimes some great deals on used alpine snowboarding boots, some with the moldable liners.
      RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

The most important thing to remember about skiboarding is that you do not NEED a high performance ski boot to have fun skiboarding .. the boards are in themselves so manuverable that low end inexpensive recreational ski boots work just fine , these can be found a discount at used sporting good stores or price point low cost at big sporting good stores... the expensive over 500 dollars boots such as the full tilts are great and allow every inch of performance to be gotten from your skiboards but they are not necessary , currently my favorite ski boot for skiboarding is a salomon verse recreational "soft boot " ski boot that I got for 80 dollars brand new at a ski swap a couple of years ago . My own recommendations for newbies to the sport is to splurge on the boards and the bindings and get an inexpensive recreational ski boot , just look for a ski boot that has a more upright stance and does not lock you into a stiff forward lean position , , one that has a walk /ski feature is nice to release the cuff , and some softer plastic to allow for some flex in the boot , this is basically the recipe for inexpensive recreational ski boots. as slow says , the most important thing is find one that fits you well !

If i had a choice between an inexpensive skiboard and expensive boots , vs a more expensive , high performance skiboard and cheap boots .. .i would always opt for the high performance skiboard , cheap boot option !
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
        X