Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Day when it just becomes so clear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Day when it just becomes so clear...

This past Friday, I went with a friend of mine to Sunday River in Maine. He is an expert skier, raced in High School, sponsored and such. His dad was there with some friends too, they aren't bad either(Heli skiing stickers on their helmets). It was my third time out on my KTPs. I was a little concerned I wouldn't be keeping up...What a difference it makes to go with people that make you push you limits! After about two runs I realized I had to change my style to keep up. I found a comfortable forward "leaning" stance and would track right behind my friend, even as he follows over the GS course that was set up for earlier that day. I found moving my feet as I carved down the mountain made a big difference. Also instead of trying to go side to side down the mountain I was picking a straight line down the middle and just rocking edge to edge as I went down. (AWESOME!!! and SO FAST!!)

I wasn't exhausted at the end of the day like I usually would be. I was worried at the beginning that I was discovering the shortcomings of skiboards, my KTPS would slip and "skid" when I carved. I just blamed it on the boards, but now I realize it was just my technique that needed fixing. I'm pretty sure I am now in LOVE with my KTPs and skiboarding. Yes, he still beats me on a race to the bottom, but only by a little, and I'm still getting better.

On another note Moguls!!! I'm not doing very well with moguls especially steeps with moguls. Anyone have any suggestions/tips on how to get through them well.
    Thanks
    2011 KTPs with gold Receptors
    Rhino ALPs with orange Receptors

Great report Northeaster ! I find moguls quite fun on the KTP's

here is a nice thread with all kinds of mogul tips

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=5450
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

The moment when it "clicks" in your head is awesome. I still remember when I figured out how to carve on my SnowJams.
      RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

great post northeaster. you made two very important discoveries that are worth repeating...

1) I found moving my feet as I carved down the mountain made a big difference. Also instead of trying to go side to side down the mountain I was picking a straight line down the middle and just rocking edge to edge as I went down. (AWESOME!!! and SO FAST!!)

2) I wasn't exhausted at the end of the day like I usually would be. I was worried at the beginning that I was discovering the shortcomings of skiboards, my KTPS would slip and "skid" when I carved. I just blamed it on the boards, but now I realize it was just my technique that needed fixing. I'm pretty sure I am now in LOVE with my KTPs and skiboarding.

#1 is exactly how I ride groomers most of the time (when not laying out deep carves) and #2 is quite frustrating for me as people are quick to indict a board for having issues when if they just knew to adjust their technique slightly the board would excel. I ride all the skiboards sold at SBOL and I never have issues with skidding, slipping, chatter, ice hold, etc because if you know the performance envelope of the skiboard your riding and how to stay within it you'll get the most from it. Poor technique or trying to do something with boards that are outside of their design, this is what usually discourages people about a certain board. (e.g.: Riding feet of powder or trying to go 50 mph and carve really hard on shorter, more narrow boards; Expecting quick edge to edge turns on wide boards instead of adjusting your carving for lower, wider turns; Expecting long boards to be hyper maneuverable, etc). This is why it's very important and not always easy to select the right skiboards for someone because it's not just a matter of size or experience but what they expect to get from riding skiboards. Expectations should always be taken into consideration, along with physical attributes, binding choice, location/conditions etc, when trying to match up a person with a pair of boards.

Thanks again for pointing these out.

G
        Last edited by Greco; 02-10-2009, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by northeaster View Post
          I found moving my feet as I carved down the mountain made a big difference. Also instead of trying to go side to side down the mountain I was picking a straight line down the middle and just rocking edge to edge as I went down. (AWESOME!!! and SO FAST!!)
          Congrats on the fun trip! Could you explain these moves a bit more. I just figured out how to really carve this weekend and one of the things I would like to get better at is making more straight line rather than across the mountain carves, so i can increase my speed.
          ’07 Spruce Blue 120
          ’09 ALP 110
          ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
          ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
          ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Matthies, basically it's exactly what you said. Instead of making big turns across the whole mountain, you make it so each turn is not as deep as the previous turn. If you need a good way to visualize it, take another look at the turning examples that slow (i think it was slow at least) drew up for you. Basically each turn will be a lot shallower and you'll keep a straighter line down the mountain.
            I do it because I can.
            I can because I want to.
            I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
            '08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
              Matthies, basically it's exactly what you said. Instead of making big turns across the whole mountain, you make it so each turn is not as deep as the previous turn. If you need a good way to visualize it, take another look at the turning examples that slow (i think it was slow at least) drew up for you. Basically each turn will be a lot shallower and you'll keep a straighter line down the mountain.

Matthies, the day you experience those near straight line carves on edge you will be travelling at about 35 mph and you will be grinning while passing most skiers. At my age and no skiing experience it took me 4 seasons to get to that point. But maybe that is why my name is Slow.
              sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Oh, ok I was sort of doing that Sunday, not really to go faster, but becuase there were so many people on the run I only had a small amount of sapce to make my carves to aviod getting hit by other newbs.

Slow, I'm not a big fan of going fast on anything, I hate roller coasters, motorcylces and the like. If I ever got to 35 miles an hour on ski boards I would not be grinning I would be screaming like a little girl! I'll be happy if I can just keep up with my freinds speed, 35 mph seems so FAST I would wet myself.
                ’07 Spruce Blue 120
                ’09 ALP 110
                ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
                ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
                ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Yeah, the diagrams were running through my mind as I went down the slopes. I understood them completely. I found that I was actually moving my "downhill" skiboard forward or infront of the "uphill" skiboard. i say that in quotes because when running straighter lines the uphill/downhill may not be as clear. I noticed that it is not just bending my knees and leaning, but also some foot work was involved in making smooth carves (even when I would do the deeper carves). The more "in sync" that my boards were the better my carving became too. I think I was paying so much attention to my downhill or outside skiboard that I would forget to keep the inside skiboard under control too. Overall, definitely going with other skiiers (hopefully someday skiboarders) who's technique to admire makes a huge difference.

THANKS for the comments and links to the moguls thread. I am anxious to get out this weekend, and make it happen.
                  2011 KTPs with gold Receptors
                  Rhino ALPs with orange Receptors

Comment

Working...
                  X