No announcement yet.

Condor vs KTP: wide-bodied grudge match

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your comparisons Crazy..I own the 08 KTP's and Loken El Bajongs (which are the same as the CT8's) and notice many of the things in which you described. I also notice that the sintered bases on the KTP's stand up much better to punishment than the extruded bases on the Loken's.

Comment

powder comparison?

Crazyboy-1 , I really enjoyed this review from earlier this season, the Condor is the one board that keeps intriguing me but I have never pulled the trigger on ...
      I was interested if you had any season end thoughts on the boards ...

did you ever get to compare the Condor vs the KTP in powder ?
      did you try riding the KTP in powder in the rear inserts ?
      I think in another thread you mentioned that you might like a rear mount in the Condor to drop the tails in pow ...
      did you try adjusting your Bombers to get a small set back , say 2cm or so ?
      Do you think being able to set back the Condor 4cm would make much difference in your enjoyment of the Condor in deep pow ?

I am toying with the idea ,if I get the Condor , of having custom inserts put in like the KTP to allow set backs ... or getting a Zero binding .. to allow the 4cm set backs

Basically , my interest in the Condor would be primarily as a backcountry pow quiver board to carry with snowshoes on pow days ...
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Jack,

Although I did ride KTP's a good bit this season, I never got a chance to ride them in true powder as I did with the Condors at the Jay Jam. Because of that, I never got around to riding them with bindings set back in the rear inserts either, although I'd be interested to see how they would behave in deep fluffy powder set up that way. The Condors are another matter. I was tempted to set the Bombers back 2cm at the Jay Jam, but decided to just keep the setup constant for the whole weekend. I'm not sure how much of a difference it would actually make with the Condors, since the boards themselves are so large. Having said that, I've been surprised in the difference of feel small adjustments make on skiboards, so I might be surprised again if I get a chance to test out that kind of a setup next season.

Honestly, I think you really can't go wrong with the Condors if you ride powder a lot as long as you trust them. For me, that was one thing I struggled with. I'm so used to sitting back on my tails, that I think I ended up riding the Condors improperly. The flex seems pretty uniform throughout, which means that the tails feel very soft. A back-seat stance ends up not working so well since the tail lack the rigidity to really hold the riders weight. Instead, they just bend and you end up on your butt. The trick then is to ride the Condors truly centered with all your trust in those big flexy tips up front. After comparing notes with James on the KTP's in powder, and hearing how the tips were dipping on him, I made an effort to actually look down at the Condors as I rode through some of the deeper powder. I was amazed at the difference. The tips on the Condors very rarely even skimmed under the surface of the powder at all. The flex seemed soft enough that with a rider of my weight, they felt as thought the bowed to the point of being reverse cambered. The times that I was able to consciously ride centered on them, the feeling was very cool, especially on steeper slopes in the woods.

I haven't had an opportunity to ride the Sherpas, but they definitely seem to be a stiffer flexing design than the Condors. With that in mind, the ride would most likely feel very different to you. Having said that, I think they'd be great paired with snowshoes for backcountry trekking. As you noted in the other thread, the Condors are actually lighter than the smaller KTP's, and with non-releasables mounted, they'd be ideal for carrying in my opinion.

I really regret not being able to try different setups on the KTP's and the Condors, but we don't really get powder here in PA. Hopefully my theories will give you at least somewhat of an idea as to what to expect with the Condors.
        RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Thanks for the detailed report Crazyboy ... really helps me understand the Condor better ... ignore the PM , i sent you , about this as I think you answered all my questions ... I am a tad heavier than you and so would probably decamber the board in soft snow even more ...

In another thread Brett talked about liking using the Zeros to get a set back on the Condors ... but I just realized that the Zero only allows a 20mm set back ...

with my Snowjams and with my size boot .. I already can get a 20mm set back .. so I am not sure how much the Zero would really help , or whether it really is necessary to think about rear inserts like I was thinking of on the Condor ... , also setting bindings back a full 4cm on soft tails might not be the greatest idea in the world ..

The KTP of course is very different with a very stiff flex .. even set back on the rear inserts in powder on the short KTP .. i still feel a ton of support from the tails which might be very different matter on a condor set up with rear inserts...
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
          X