Spruce 120 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spruce 120 review

Another skiboarder (valmorel) recently gave me another nudge to write a review of my Spruce 120s. So here goes.
    I've had my 120s for a year now. They're the white ones with the green and black graphics, the same as the current production.
    I'm quite small and reasonably light (5ft 6in, 144 pounds). Some folks may think that the 120s might be too long for me. I haven't found this to be the case at all. As I've gained experience on skiboards over the last five years or so, I've been gradually going for longer boards. Head 94s -> Summit Custom 110s / Revel 8 ALP 110s -> Spruce 120s. All with release bindings. Each time that I've gone longer, I've been able to safely ride runs a little quicker. The 120s in particularly give me a great feeling of stability but yet still enter turns easily. Another thing that I've noticed is that the flex of the 120s allows them to follow the contours of the piste rather than forcing their way through the snow. This translates to a low chatter ride over small irregularities. I sold my old Summit Custom Carbon 110s (La Croix) because they were too stiff in the flex for me . The chattering set my teeth on edge. I still occasionally ride my Revel 8 ALPs. The flex of those is similar to the 120s but I'm usually soon back onto the 120s to regain the extra stability. The Spruce 120s are now my 'go to' skiboards. I would recommend them to any skiboard rider.
    I was a skier before I took up skiboarding. You could say that agewise, I'd qualify for 'Dad's Army'. I'm not into park riding. Ability wise, valmorel thinks that I'm an intermediate. I agree. I was the other skiboarder on his December trip to the Three Valleys in France.
    I wax and edge the 120s myself and generally keep a reasonably sharp 90 degree edge set. I use Salomon Verse 6.0 soft boots and Spruce composite risers.
    Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
    Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
    Nordica HF110 ski boots

Great review Gromit. The Spruce certainly is a versatile skiboard and a pleasure to ride.
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Thank you for that review! I too am a light weight 5'4" 145lbs and decided to take the long board plunge and buy the Spruce 120's!! I have been going back and forth on getting them or not... driving me nuts about it too.... well found a nice deal on the all bluce Spruce 120's here on the forum the other day and went for it! release bindings too which I have yet to try on skiboards.. I am a HUGE fan of the Sub 100cm skiboards and Bomber non release bindings.
      I also took the plunge and tried the KTP's that are rather wide... no troubles there and am eager for the more float and sounds like even more stability from the 120's. I really like R8 boards, their unique blunt tips and widths make them a smooth clean fast stable ride. Looking forward to riding the Spruce 120's... and have so many great things about them!!! I do believe I dill have to have a different mind set when riding them, I am use to zippy quickness and doing a lot of spins... these seem more for cruising and powder and bombing down hills, we'll see how I do on these what will look like beasts compared to my other boards!
      Thank you again!
      Shelley
      C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Congrats on the 120s PinkKid. Really looking forward to hearing how you like them.............. Just relax on them and let the boards do the work.
        Crossbow (go to dream board)
        Most everything else over time.
        Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
          Congrats on the 120s PinkKid. Really looking forward to hearing how you like them.............. Just relax on them and let the boards do the work.
          Will do, thanks!
          C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

You should have some awesome float pinkkid, just under 10 sq cm per pound. For reference, Jack and ShaFreak are about 8 on their Sherpas. Should be an great powder ride.
            sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
              You should have some awesome float pinkkid, just under 10 sq cm per pound. For reference, Jack and ShaFreak are about 8 on their Sherpas. Should be an great powder ride.
              But still retaining that skiboard agility on groomers
              Just relax and let the boards do the work :-) :-)
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

I do think it wil take me some time, maybe several trips using them soley to get used them, I dunno, we'll find out and have some fun! I can see myself doing real nice long carves on them and then turning them loose to bomb down the hill.... as long as I can still stop them LOL Eager to try them in powder too... still need more powder for my KTP's as well; both will be great!
                Also have my husband to give them a whirl too, he's 6'1 and about 170 lbs. He too is used to the sub 100cm boards and their zippy fun factor.

I'll be relaxed and smooth on them, should be fine.
                C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Do not let your husband use the 120 Spruce. You will not get them back!
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                    Do not let your husband use the 120 Spruce. You will not get them back!
                    HAHAHAHAHAHA LOL!
                    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Message for True:

Just do it man. Wait until she's at lunch, swoop down and take 'em like a rabid vulture. Yea. That's the ticket.
                      "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                        Message for True:

Just do it man. Wait until she's at lunch, swoop down and take 'em like a rabid vulture. Yea. That's the ticket.

ha ha will do
                        Got Sand?
                        Got Snow?
                        Got Nascar?
                        Got Mud?
                        Got Dirt?
                        Got Pavement?
                        Ya Got Speed!
                        Get Left Baby!

'04 Fischer Web XXL with Bomber Elite II
                        '08 KTP's with Zero's
                        '09 Spruce 120 with some kind of release binding!

Comment

Spins on 120s

Anyone who's concerned about being able to do flat spins on 120s can check out this video of my 78 year-old neighbor on his blue 120s last season.
                          Last edited by Greco; 01-12-2009, 07:28 PM.

Comment

awesome!
                            Thanks Jeff!
                            C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by jsinger View Post
                              Anyone who's concerned about being able to do flat spins on 120s can check out this video of my 78 year-old neighbor on his blue 120s last season.
                              Awesome Jeff, thanks for sharing.

Good thing I have 28 years to be that good before I get to be 78.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X