Spruce 120 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinkkid View Post
    Also have my husband to give them a whirl too, he's 6'1 and about 170 lbs. He too is used to the sub 100cm boards and their zippy fun factor.

I'll be relaxed and smooth on them, should be fine.
    Hey Shelley, I can't wait to find out how you and True like your 120's! I also like to spin and goof around and find it to be just as easy on the 120's as any of the shorties, plus a little stability boost, a super smooth ride, etc. Carolyn also loves them and has permanently claimed one of my pairs. That was a great clip Jeff posted and demonstrates this perfectly.

Can you tell I'm a kool-aid drinking true believer?

Bill

Comment

This is a great point , Bill . The two Spruce boards really have different personalities.. I have gotten a number of PM's about how to decide between the 120 and the 130. While the 130 has a huge performance envelope .. It really needs to be driven aggressively and have some gas to ride well , whereas the 120 has a dual personality ... for those who want to push it hard it can reward with tons of performance, yet it really has a very playful side to it and also can be ridden easily and casually ,which I kind of appreciate especially when I have had a beer and giant chili dog as I sometimes do at lunch and only have the other kind of gas !
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

jjue, you just need to learn that art of harnessing that gas into a from of propulsion. I'm thinking it could be the key to setting a new top speed.
        I do it because I can.
        I can because I want to.
        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
        '08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by El Slurpo View Post
          Hey Shelley, I can't wait to find out how you and True like your 120's! I also like to spin and goof around and find it to be just as easy on the 120's as any of the shorties, plus a little stability boost, a super smooth ride, etc. Carolyn also loves them and has permanently claimed one of my pairs. That was a great clip Jeff posted and demonstrates this perfectly.

Can you tell I'm a kool-aid drinking true believer?

Bill
          very good to hear Carolyn likes the 120's... that is encouraging for meas well as all the other reviews and comments.
          C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

I’ll just chime in here and say, as a complete beginner I think the Spruce 120s are a great way to start ski boarding. I’ve been on them eight times now, and from the first day I could handle them without any fear. Its almost impossible to lose your balance (fore/aft) and fall like on longer skis. Believe me, if it was possible I would have found a way to fall backwards on these, I can’t. The length/width gives you confidence that I don’t get (as a beginner) as much with my 103 Rockets. The Spruces are also much more forgiving if you have bad form or get out of form or hit a big patch of snowboarder scraped snow or pile of snow. Its just really hard to get them to screw up even when you screw up.

I’m really glad I started on these because by the time I tried the rockets I had confidence from using the longer boards that I was not at all scared of the shorter Rockets the first time I tried them. I think the Spruces are a great board to start on and they have plenty of potential left for me to explore as I get better so they are easy to start on and easy to grow on too.
            ’07 Spruce Blue 120
            ’09 ALP 110
            ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
            ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
            ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Matthies View Post
              I’ll just chime in here and say, as a complete beginner I think the Spruce 120s are a great way to start ski boarding. I’ve been on them eight times now, and from the first day I could handle them without any fear. Its almost impossible to lose your balance (fore/aft) and fall like on longer skis. Believe me, if it was possible I would have found a way to fall backwards on these, I can’t. The length/width gives you confidence that I don’t get (as a beginner) as much with my 103 Rockets. The Spruces are also much more forgiving if you have bad form or get out of form or hit a big patch of snowboarder scraped snow or pile of snow. Its just really hard to get them to screw up even when you screw up.

I’m really glad I started on these because by the time I tried the rockets I had confidence from using the longer boards that I was not at all scared of the shorter Rockets the first time I tried them. I think the Spruces are a great board to start on and they have plenty of potential left for me to explore as I get better so they are easy to start on and easy to grow on too.

excellent Mathies thanks for sharing and chiming in; good stuff. I wonder if pinting noobies to the Spruce 120 is a good idea though???????? interesting thought.
              C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                This is a great point , Bill . The two Spruce boards really have different personalities.. I have gotten a number of PM's about how to decide between the 120 and the 130. While the 130 has a huge performance envelope .. It really needs to be driven aggressively and have some gas to ride well , whereas the 120 has a dual personality ... for those who want to push it hard it can reward with tons of performance !
                Jack:

Really, I think the 130 has a "softer" side as well and can be fun to ride in less demanding conditions. It's remarkable to me that the Sherpa can be so competent on ice AND the sort of powder conditions guys like you and Ska get into. I wouldn't call it "hard" to ride for general cruising, as a matter of fact compared to long, skinny skis it's extremely easy and relaxing. The difference is, for me at least, is that the 120 is even easier, which is pretty darn easy and not without a big upside if you want it...maybe not as high as the 130, but pretty darn high. It's just terrific and while I like to try different rides occasionally I am definitely drinking the 120 kool aid.

The only thing I really found awkward at times with the Sherpa was the giant tips, but unless you gave up something else in terms of width, length or turn radius, there's no way around that!

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by pinkkid View Post
                  excellent Mathies thanks for sharing and chiming in; good stuff. I wonder if pinting noobies to the Spruce 120 is a good idea though???????? interesting thought.

Maybe I should have mentioned in my post I’m a big guy; 5’11/230 ish (fat not built). They may not work as well as starter boards for someone smaller. I like my Rockets too, but if they were any shorter when I looked down all I would see is my gut.
                  ’07 Spruce Blue 120
                  ’09 ALP 110
                  ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
                  ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
                  ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Matthies View Post
                    Maybe I should have mentioned in my post I’m a big guy; 5’11/230 ish (fat not built). They may not work as well as starter boards for someone smaller. I like my Rockets too, but if they were any shorter when I looked down all I would see is my gut.
                    ha ha, my bro is a big dude too like u and it cracks me up that he rides and loves his Snojams 90cm! he does not wanna try any of my boards either! go figure, to each is there own.
                    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

120's would make pretty good beginner boards actually. They are very forgiving, not super super wide, use releasable bindings, and are generally a nice ride. Plus they have a pretty high performance span, especially for lighter writers.
                      I do it because I can.
                      I can because I want to.
                      I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                      '08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
                        120's would make pretty good beginner boards actually. They are very forgiving, not super super wide, use releasable bindings, and are generally a nice ride. Plus they have a pretty high performance span, especially for lighter writers.
                        Very nice SkaFreak!
                        Anyone else's take on 120's being good beginner boards?
                        C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

I lost a pair of 120s last year and was forced to buy myself another pair. I made the mistake of tempting Paula in to trying them :-(. She normally rides 99s. Five mins in and it was goodbye 120s for me. She also rides sans poles, Salomon Verse Soft boots. Suppose I better put her 99s on eBay for all the good they are now!
                          Crossbow (go to dream board)
                          Most everything else over time.
                          Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
                            especially for lighter writers.
                            No good for jjue then. He is a real heavyweight WRITER :-)
                            Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                              I lost a pair of 120s last year and was forced to buy myself another pair. I made the mistake of tempting Paula in to trying them :-(. She normally rides 99s. Five mins in and it was goodbye 120s for me. She also rides sans poles, Salomon Verse Soft boots. Suppose I better put her 99s on eBay for all the good they are now!
                              ha! That's cool though. Someone will gobble up 99cm's for sure!
                              C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

I have several different boards (sic). If I were taking a non skiing family member/friend to the mountains to give it all a try, I would put them on 120s, period!
                                Go Android

Comment

Working...
                                X