Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally have the funds for new boards, any suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally have the funds for new boards, any suggestions?

For the past 5 years I have been skiboarding on a pair of Head Big Easy's. They were cheap and had releasable bindings so I figured they would be a decent first pair for me and they were. I've tried some different lengths and brands of boards out there, so now that I've saved up enough to upgrade to a much better pair I have a general idea for what I want in my boards but I could certainly use some advice to help narrow down my selection, especially if anyone has ridden a pair of boards that I'm considering buying. I'm 5'9 and 190 lbs and in great shape. While I haven't had a chance to try too many top-end boards, I have put hundreds of hours on my Big Easy's and while I don't think I should call myself an expert skiboarder, I 'm as comfortable on skiboards on the slope and in the park as I am walking down the street. I'm looking for a fast pair of boards that carve great and would be used mostly on the slopes and occasionally in the parks, with solid performance on the jumps being more important than performing on rails. The three boards I'm looking at purchasing currently are the 09 Rumsringas (Since they're new this season I know few if any people have ridden them, but if someone has a pair of 100cm+ narrow boards that are comparable I'd love to hear what they are like) the KTPs and the Lacroix 99. Do those boards have what I'm looking for or am I heading in the wrong direction. Apologies for the long post, and thanks in advance for your help.
    sigpic
    "No, no I never was a sinner- tell me what else can I do
    Second best is what you get till you learn to bend the rules"

Originally posted by SarcasmOD View Post
    For the past 5 years I have been skiboarding on a pair of Head Big Easy's. They were cheap and had releasable bindings so I figured they would be a decent first pair for me and they were. I've tried some different lengths and brands of boards out there, so now that I've saved up enough to upgrade to a much better pair I have a general idea for what I want in my boards but I could certainly use some advice to help narrow down my selection, especially if anyone has ridden a pair of boards that I'm considering buying. I'm 5'9 and 190 lbs and in great shape. While I haven't had a chance to try too many top-end boards, I have put hundreds of hours on my Big Easy's and while I don't think I should call myself an expert skiboarder, I 'm as comfortable on skiboards on the slope and in the park as I am walking down the street. I'm looking for a fast pair of boards that carve great and would be used mostly on the slopes and occasionally in the parks, with solid performance on the jumps being more important than performing on rails. The three boards I'm looking at purchasing currently are the 09 Rumsringas (Since they're new this season I know few if any people have ridden them, but if someone has a pair of 100cm+ narrow boards that are comparable I'd love to hear what they are like) the KTPs and the Lacroix 99. Do those boards have what I'm looking for or am I heading in the wrong direction. Apologies for the long post, and thanks in advance for your help.
    If you plan on going with non-releaseable bindings id think the Revolt Series of boards would be the perfect choice for you...with the KTPs in a close second. The revolts are a great all around board...they excel on groomers and on jumps....while not as wide as the KTPs.

The KTPs however are a close second.....they are a dream carving and on rails and jumps the added width helps alot.

Its really a toss up between them. I think the Lacroix or Rumspringas would be worse choices for you because there strengths are not necessarily in the park. If you want to stay under 100...dont look past the BWPs at 98 cm.

Comment

Originally posted by tyberesk View Post
      If you plan on going with non-releaseable bindings id think the Revolt Series of boards would be the perfect choice for you...with the KTPs in a close second. The revolts are a great all around board...they excel on groomers and on jumps....while not as wide as the KTPs.

The KTPs however are a close second.....they are a dream carving and on rails and jumps the added width helps alot.

Its really a toss up between them. I think the Lacroix or Rumspringas would be worse choices for you because there strengths are not necessarily in the park. If you want to stay under 100...dont look past the BWPs at 98 cm.
      Thanks for the input. What makes the Revolts slightly better than the KTPs in this case?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SarcasmOD View Post
        Thanks for the input. What makes the Revolts slightly better than the KTPs in this case?
        i've ridden both...and in my opinion i feel like the revolts would be more suited to your needs....although if you want to go with releaseable bindings...i think the ALPs might be what our looking for. When it comes to jumps the added length really helps out (even though its only 4 cm over KTPs).

It is actually kind of a toss up in my opinion....

If you want a more flexible board go Revolts or ALPs
        If you want a more stiff board go KTPs

KTPs are more park oriented board, while the Revolts are a more all around kind of board. Pick your poison both of those boards will make you a very happy individual that is for sure.

Comment

I haven't ridden much else, but I will say I love my Revolts, such a great board all over the mountain.
          Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
          Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

Ty has this shite down to a science, and he would not lead you astray. I suggest the Revolts as well, since you are looking for an all mountain/all around board.
            Last edited by Gorno; 11-16-2008, 02:08 PM. Reason: improper diction
            Revel8 Cities, Line FF Pro Bindings (orange)
            MNP's, Line FF Pro Bindings (blue)
            Line Weapons
            09 Line Anthems, Look px12 jib wb bindings
            06 Line Chronics, Salomon STH12 bindings
            sigpic
            "Leaving naysayers stumped like rainforests" - Sage Francis

Comment

Great, thanks guys I'll definitely give a much closer look at the Revolts.
              sigpic

Comment

I'd say either the Revolts or the KTP's as well. I think the KTP's feel more solid landing jumps, but the extra width will make them a bit harder to get used to I think. The EMP/Revolt design is only a few years old, but it's already established itself as a class all-mountain board that can do just about anything. If you really like the KTP's though, I don't think you'll be displeased with them at all.

What bindings are you looking to get? I highly recommend the Bombers, especially if you opt for the KTP's.
                RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Well, I'm pretty sure that nobody else has said this so I will, somebody needs to get some of the rumspringas to test them out. Grab a pair of the Rockets, Flows, or Mary Janes, and tell us how they are all around.
                  Revel8 ALPdors
                  Gold Revel8 Receptors
                  Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                  ____
                  Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                  If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by Godofmedia View Post
                    Well, I'm pretty sure that nobody else has said this so I will, somebody needs to get some of the rumspringas to test them out. Grab a pair of the Rockets, Flows, or Mary Janes, and tell us how they are all around.
                    I'm heavily debating it right now... it's either that or a new pair of twin-tips for my backup ride.
                    '97 Groove Skywalkers (90cm)
                    '09 Revel8 KTPs w/Bomber Elite2

Comment

Do you have any boards? If you do and they are new pick up some new twins...some momentums, those are sick as hell.
                      Revel8 ALPdors
                      Gold Revel8 Receptors
                      Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                      ____
                      Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                      If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

rumspringas are just rockets and mary janes...flows are revolts

go r8, half the length double the fun!

Comment

The Rockets really caught my eye since they are very similar if not almost identical to a pair of boards my good friend let my try out one weekend and I just loved how I was able to tear up the mountain, I'm very tempted, but since I'm not going to be able to by myself another pair of boards for a season or two I'd be OK going with a safer bet. But if I do get a pair of those I'll be sure to post a thread on them.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X