Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shortydude, I used a pair of Kneissl soft boots for years. Got them for $70 (they were X-display). I found them a superb skiboard boot and used them on everything including my Sherpas. They were comfortable, easy to walk in (no different to a hiking boot) and comfortable to stand in for long periods of time. Sure they were heavy but that never bothered me. I am a big guy anyway.

Then, a few years ago, I splashed out on a pair of made to measure Strolz boots from Austria. These are almost the complete opposite - stiff and hard - but actually extremely comfortable as they are made for your feet. The liners are a work of art. It was interesting comparing the difference between and soft and hard boot. It took me a while to get use to them but now I love them. I know that they wouldn't be for you, and a lot of other folks, but you do get a very precise feel plus subtle control that I don't think you can get with a soft boot. One other think I did noticed. These boot are less effort to ride - I don't get quite as tired at the end of a hard day. Are they worth it? I'm not sure but they are certainly good!
    Spruce Sherpa (my go-to-board)
    Spruce 120
    Summit Custom 110 Woodie
    Spruce Risers
    Strolz custom made boots

Comment

Salomon Kreation ski boots. My boots I got at the end of last season. ♥ them. nice wide 2 buckle design and big power strap. EASY in/out. colors are reversed which is cool also = red toe, black upper on one & black toe, red upper on other.

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
        Just recently I have bought a few pairs of old rear entry boots from ebay. Typically they are around 15 to 20 years old and cost around 25 to 40 dollars. I have become very disillusioned with being forced into seudo race boots for recreational skiing and wanted to re-visit what I remembered as comfortable easy to live with boots. So far, DELIGHTED with the results.
        This is what I mean by easy to live with......

View My Video
        Many years ago, I tried Salomon SX60 rear entry boots and loved them! They were so easy to put on as shown in your video. Then I bought Salomon SX90 rear entry boots and used them for about 20 years. I am not sure what happened to them, I must have donated them somewhere when I moved. Your comment matched to a tee, what I felt many years ago when I bought my first rear-entry boots. I have since fought with every ski boot I have bought just to get it on in the morning and to get it off at lunch. Great video, btw. I think I shall consider getting another pair of rear entries again. I am currently skiing on Head World Cup RS110 boots because I love to go fast, but they are exhausting in powder and I need something medium flexed, yet stiff enough to go fast on Sherpas with Spruce Pro Prime Risers and braked bindings. Any suggestions in the rear-entry boots style?

Comment

Salomon SX 7 and up series all have adjustable flex. You can set them anywhere from full on to mushy. That should suit you fine. It is all a question of finding a good used pair on ebay or craigs. The second number SX 7(0-1-2-3) represents the model year, thus an SX 71 is an earlier boot than an SX73. The 3 series had the best liners, so if you could find agood pair of maybe SX83s, you would be set.
          Crossbow (go to dream board)
          Most everything else over time.
          Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by chacend View Post
            i've got the same Head I Type 10s on order and hope i have the same success, for $120 bucks if they are a comfortable as people say they're a steal.

Where did you get them for $120 and how do you like them? Also PM'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
              I'm lovin' my Head i-10's. Nice and wide toebox, firm but not painful, super easy walking, getting in and out is almost as easy as a regular pair of boots, nice upright stance. Plus, the single top buckle solves my biggest problem with ski boots - very real pain from the pressure the #3 buckle normally places just above the ankle. I snapped off my left tib and fib right at the ankle some years back and that 3rd buckle makes life hell.

I think this weekend I'll get custom liners cooked in over lunch on Sat or Sun. All depends on how juicy the pow is.
              I am thinking of getting these boots but love the high speed. I am currently riding on Head World Cup RS110 racing boots, but found them too stiff in powder. Would you go with a stiffer flex, the I Type 12 instead? How would the stiffer flex work in powder with Sherpas on Spruce Pro prime risers and brake bindings? PM'ed you as well.

Comment

Haha, don't start me on boots!

But if you need to try out some, I have 4 or 5 pairs of 27.5's I'd be willing to part with cheap/ free

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

The SX91 was a high end rear entry boot for that time. good adjustments: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ344313311

Comment

Originally posted by SkibordNoob View Post
                    The SX91 was a high end rear entry boot for that time. good adjustments: http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-s...AdIdZ344313311

I had the previous model in my old days of skiing- Salomon SX90 which I liked a lot. The rear entry was simply one of the best boots around. Thanks for posting a pic of the SX91s. I remember these clearly in the days! I was initially considering getting a pair of intuition liners for my current boots which are starting to hurt after about 15 ski days, but at $220, they seemed to be overpriced. Maybe I can buy new boots instead! Sure enough, I have actually just bought a pair of new Head I type 12 online for $199 and am waiting for them to arrive. I am so looking forward to getting out of my Head World Cup RS110 into these new rear-entry boots. So much more comfortable and easier to put on, at least they say! Can't wait to see how they perform on Sherpas with Pro-Prime bindings for the rest of my spring season pass. 1 mth 3 wks to go of riding here- looking forward to it! Woohoooo!

Comment

Salomon SX 7 and up series all have adjustable flex. You can set them anywhere from full on to mushy. That should suit you fine. It is all a question of finding a good used pair on ebay or craigs. The second number SX 7(0-1-2-3) represents the model year, thus an SX 71 is an earlier boot than an SX73. The 3 series had the best liners, so if you could find agood pair of maybe SX83s, you would be set.
                      Thanks for the information Valmore! I ended up buying a pair of Head I Type 12 online new. They were a good deal and rear entry and feature a walking mode to make it easier to walk when not skiing. I do like the idea of adjustable flex in the Salomons, however. If the Heads don't work out, I will look for these. Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Zach View Post
                        Haha, don't start me on boots!

But if you need to try out some, I have 4 or 5 pairs of 27.5's I'd be willing to part with cheap/ free

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                        Zach, I happen to be the same size as you! I've already bought the Head I Type 12s but out of curiosity, could you list the boots you have and would be willing to sell, with the price? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by WhistlerRider View Post
                          Thanks for the information Valmore! I ended up buying a pair of Head I Type 12 online new. They were a good deal and rear entry and feature a walking mode to make it easier to walk when not skiing. I do like the idea of adjustable flex in the Salomons, however. If the Heads don't work out, I will look for these. Cheers!
                          Surely the i-Type 12 is a front entry boot? The 10 series is RE, but the 12 is FE?
                          Go Android

Comment

Surely the i-Type 12 is a front entry boot? The 10 series is RE, but the 12 is FE?
                            I thought the I-type series; 8, 10 and 12 were all the same 'modified rear entry' system but with different flex ratings?

http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-...lack-Ski-Boots

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              I thought the I-type series; 8, 10 and 12 were all the same 'modified rear entry' system but with different flex ratings?

http://www.levelninesports.com/Head-...lack-Ski-Boots
                              In the picture, check out the tongue.
                              Go Android

Comment

In the picture, check out the tongue.
                                I see, it looks like the '12's' use a conventional liner :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X