Mary Jane/ Bullet narrow skiboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rie202 View Post
    That would be why there fast. so when you hit powder you just glide ride on top. just don't go slow.

One of the biggest things that is nice about wide boards is how they carry through transitions , the trouble with narrow boards , is often there is not enough flotation ,so when you go from fast groomers to soft powder you sink rapidly and decellerate quickly and pitch over head first and you really have to think about getting back to your heels especially if the slope is not that steep .. , ... the fatties really help this ... take for example the KTP which is short but fat .. you can take that thing at speed from the groomers to the soft stuff on the side of the trail , and it just kind of planes right through , much less tendency to throw you forward and decellerate...
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

K ... so help a brutha out here cause I'm way confused ... new to the sport, new to the lingo... and never was a technical skier.

I had been skiing maybe a half dozen times in my life and snowboarding four or five times. I've always been very athletic but mostly a summer sport kinda guy.

Last winter, I decided to quit hibernating during the snowy months and start getting out more. I went skiing once then on a whim ordered some Head shape 94s. Took those out four times before the end of the season and had a blast. I was hooked.

Last month, I passed the Heads down to the wife because she loves them and I bought a pair of Tanshos since I like that short inline skate kinda feel that is so different from skis.

However, after lurking on these forums and reading quite a bit, I'm now worried that the short length of the Tanshos may give me some trouble on fresh pow days and icy days. As well ... I imagine I will probably be venturing off the groomed runs at some point this season and start exploring through the trees. It sounds like the Tanshos will probably not be well suited for that.

Sooo .. now getting to the point ... I am in the market for a second pair of boards for more diverse duty. I was originally thinking this Rumspringa might be a good choice when I hear narrower is easier to get on edge and that the length and width might be very good for grip on the ice / refrozen snow.

However, it also sounds like this board may not give me enough float in the fluffy stuff to allow me to get off-piste.

I'm in Western Oregon ... 30ish ... 5'8" and about 185 lbs (yes, I know ... I'm fat). Actually, would you believe me if I told you 15 pounds of that is all lizard?

Anyway ...how does "easy to get on edge" "fast carving", "edge to edge control" translate to how these will feel on my untechnical feet in words I will understand?

Would the Rumspringa be a good choice for me? Are there better options for the varied terrain I will encounter here in western Oregon (sometimes ice, sometimes pow, mostly groomed but sometimes trees)? No park and no big jumps and tricks for me ... my acrobatic skills are not what they used to be. I mostly just want to skate and carve and zip around at mellow to medium speeds having a good time.

Would revolts be better for me or will I still not have enough float on fluffy days considering my twelve-sandwich eating sometimes bloated up to 190 lb. a**?

I don't imagine I'll be getting off piste too often... and probably never in the really deep stuff ... but just would like to be able to play in the tress a bit when I feel the urge.

Rumspringa or no Rumspringa?

And what the hell is "jibbing"?
      Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
      Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
      Full Tilt Boots
      Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForAir View Post
        K ... so help a brutha out here cause I'm way confused ... new to the sport, new to the lingo... and never was a technical skier.

I had been skiing maybe a half dozen times in my life and snowboarding four or five times. I've always been very athletic but mostly a summer sport kinda guy.

Last winter, I decided to quit hibernating during the snowy months and start getting out more. I went skiing once then on a whim ordered some Head shape 94s. Took those out four times before the end of the season and had a blast. I was hooked.

Last month, I passed the Heads down to the wife because she loves them and I bought a pair of Tanshos since I like that short inline skate kinda feel that is so different from skis.

However, after lurking on these forums and reading quite a bit, I'm now worried that the short length of the Tanshos may give me some trouble on fresh pow days and icy days. As well ... I imagine I will probably be venturing off the groomed runs at some point this season and start exploring through the trees. It sounds like the Tanshos will probably not be well suited for that.

Sooo .. now getting to the point ... I am in the market for a second pair of boards for more diverse duty. I was originally thinking this Rumspringa might be a good choice when I hear narrower is easier to get on edge and that the length and width might be very good for grip on the icy stuff.

However, it also sounds like this board may not give me enough float in the fluffy stuff to allow me to get off-piste.

I'm in Western Oregon ... 30ish ... 5'8" and about 185 lbs (yes, I know ... I'm fat). Actually, would you believe me if I told you 15 pounds of that is all lizard?

Anyway ...how does "easy to get on edge" "fast carving", "edge to edge control" translate to how these will feel on my untechnical feet in words I will understand?

Would the Rumspringa be a good choice for me? Are there better options for the varied terrain I will encounter here in western Oregon (sometimes ice, sometimes pow, mostly groomed but sometimes trees)? No park and no big jumps and tricks for me ... my acrobatic skills are not what they used to be. I mostly just want to skate and carve and zip around at mellow to medium speeds having a good time.

Would revolts be better for me or will I still not have enough float on fluffy days considering my twelve-sandwich eating sometimes bloated up to 190 lb. a**?

I don't imagine I'll be getting off piste too often... and probably never in the really deep stuff ... but just would like to be able to play in the tress a bit when I feel the urge.

Rumspringa or no Rumspringa?

And what the hell is "jibbing"?
        Well lets start this off by saying jibbing is doing things on immovable objects haha...pretty much park, but also could be like grinding on trees/walls/jumping over orange fence....all that good stuff

I personally think that the Tanshos and Rumspringas will be very alike boards....and I think the KTPs would be a better bet for you to mix it up. The KTPs excel in all conditions, but arn't too long and you can still use nonrelease bindings on them. The KTPs and Tanshos will be like riding a motorcycle(tanshos) then driving a hummer (KTPs) so you will get two boards with very different personalities that excel in different conditions.

KTPs - excel in park/off piste/on ice/onslush/on powder/on everything
        Tanshos - good jibbing board/excellent board on groomers/can manage in other conditions

The 11 extra centimeters will not seem like too much either. I just think the Rumspringa and Tanshos excel in the same areas pretty much and i think the BWPs are alot like the Tanshos except for an extra 8cm. If your buying a 2nd board i would reccomend going for something different that will be a change of pace. I have ridden KTPs and Revolts and love riding each.

Comment

First the easy answer. Jibbing is pretty much grinding/bonking stuff.

Now for the other answer. Some people do ride powder on shorter boards. Roussel rides the Tanshos in powder for example. It just means you're going to have to work harder to do it. You'll have lean back to get the tips up, which will take some strong thighs so ride powder all day. It also is harder to keep speed through flat powder this way because you have to increase the drag to increase the lift. The Rumspringas should be great boards on the ice, but because of how narrow they are they will not do as well in the powder. The Revolts are a pretty good blend of powder and ice, as are the KTPs. The wider a board is, the more you have to lean to get it up on edge, so the KTPs will take a little bit more to ride than some of the other narrower, but at the advantage of more stability in a shorter package. Hopefully that will clarify things for you a little more.
          I do it because I can.
          I can because I want to.
          I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
          '08 KTPs

Comment

Thanks fellas ... this does help. I was kind of steering away from the KTPs because I thought those really wide boards would be a tougher learning curve for me and I really just wanna play and have fun. In the past, I had a rough time trying to figure out snowboarding which is why I didn't do it much and also had trouble (but in a different way) trying to change directions on long-a** skis.

When you say the KTP is harder to get on edge ... does that mean I really just have to lean over and dig them in more? Be a bit more agressive? Does that equate to longer and lower carves? If so, that sounds like what I'm looking for.

If I have this right, the Tanshos should behave much like the Head 94s did for me ... tossable, very tight and rapid s-curve transitions at controllable speeds all the way down the mountain?

KTP's / Revolts would be wider, deep carves with slower transitions from right to left to right?
            Full Tilt Boots
            Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

i think big sweeping carves are more fun. i felt the KTP carves "better" then the 105

havent tried 103s yet

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

I guess on a forum like this, you will get a different answer from just about everyone. this is partly because we are all into different ways of riding, but also partly because there are so many different boards to chose from. It might be as well to remember that at one time, we pretty much all rode 90s or 99s, and did pretty well on them too.
                I think you really need an easy going all-rounder for now untill you get more of a feel for the sport, develop your skills, and figure what is your favourite kind of riding. That might take a season or two, and my feeling is that the 105 Revolt would be just about perfect. It is easy going, but can be ridden as hard as you like if you want, is great on most stuff including back country and pow. Heck, best days powder riding I ever had was on the original 105 Revolt, and its still felt to be ok to used fixed bindings on them if you wish. A legend!
                Crossbow (go to dream board)
                Most everything else over time.
                Go Android

Comment

I am eager to see how the rumspringas do on so deep powder
                  you never really don't realize it, you just quit caring...

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForAir View Post
                    Thanks fellas ... this does help. I was kind of steering away from the KTPs because I thought those really wide boards would be a tougher learning curve for me and I really just wanna play and have fun. In the past, I had a rough time trying to figure out snowbaording which is why I didn't do it much and also had trouble (but in a different way) trying to change directions on long-a** skis.

When you say the KTP is harder to get on edge ... does that mean I really just have to lean over and dig them in more? Be a bit more agressive? Does that equate to longer and lower carves? If so, that sounds like what I'm looking for.

If I have this right, the Tanshos should behave much like the Head 94s did for me ... tossable, very tight and rapid s-curve transitions at controllable speeds all the way down the mountain?

KTP's / Revolts would be wider, deep carves with slower transitions from right to left to right?
                    About a year ago I was pretty much in the same place you are now, I had a simular background, I'm about the same size and even started on the head 94's.

First thing you should know is changing to high end skiboards like the tansho are going to be an amazing change from what your use to. I remember questioning if skiboarding was going to be enough for me after riding the heads. Than I got my first real skiboards (Lacroix 99's) and I was amazed at eveything they allowed be to do.

Next thing you should know is the Tanshos aren't going to just sink in powder, you'll want to keep up your speed but for the most part they'll do okay, granted as you progress (if you're like me) you're going to want something that handles the powder better. I picked up a set of ALP's for me, but almost got the KTP's. After kicking it around on here and thanks to some good input from TY and Jack I decided to gets the ALPs but either would have worked.

One last point. One of the tough things being in the northwest is we don't have a lot of skiboarders around to meet up with and try diferent boards. Forunately that is starting to changes. I think there are 3 of us up here now that go to hood at least a couple times a year. We'll just make a point of meeting there early on and you can try my Alp's, Lacroixs and a pair of MNP that I think will be simular to the new narrower boards. that should give you a good feel for different types of boards. Just keep me posted about when your going up that way.

Comment

That sounds fantastic ... thanks for the offer. I was hoping to find some guys local that I could learn a bit from. All my trips last year were just to Hoodoo, but I plan to go out at least twice a month this season and I want to hit Bachelor and McKenzie but will most likely pick up the fuzion pass for Mt. Hood and do most of my riding up there. Can't beat a season pass to two different ski areas for the price of one.

I actually may go up and hit Timberline this weekend ... I hear the Palmer snowfield is open for business.

Woooo hoooo.

Originally posted by rgzip View Post
                      About a year ago I was pretty much in the same place you are now, I had a simular background, I'm about the same size and even started on the head 94's.

First thing you should know is changing to high end skiboards like the tansho are going to be an amazing change from what your use to. I remember questioning if skiboarding was going to be enough for me after riding the heads. Than I got my first real skiboards (Lacroix 99's) and I was amazed at eveything they allowed be to do.

Next thing you should know is the Tanshos aren't going to just sink in powder, you'll want to keep up your speed but for the most part they'll do okay, granted as you progress (if you're like me) you're going to want something that handles the powder better. I picked up a set of ALP's for me, but almost got the KTP's. After kicking it around on here and thanks to some good input from TY and Jack I decided to gets the ALPs but either would have worked.

One last point. One of the tough things being in the northwest is we don't have a lot of skiboarders around to meet up with and try diferent boards. Forunately that is starting to changes. I think there are 3 of us up here now that go to hood at least a couple times a year. We'll just make a point of meeting there early on and you can try my Alp's, Lacroixs and a pair of MNP that I think will be simular to the new narrower boards. that should give you a good feel for different types of boards. Just keep me posted about when your going up that way.
                      Full Tilt Boots

Comment

Oh ... and thanks val and everyone else ... this has been very helpful.
                        Full Tilt Boots

Comment

All the input given to ya is great and helpful for sure!
                          At your size and what you are looking to do with your boards and your ski style, those Revolts would be about perfect, but let's say you really prefer the KTP graphics, then go for the KTP's, you will do just fine on them too and that board will last you a long time for growth in your abilities... either board will allow you to grow in the sport. Now it is kind of down to which board appeals to you most. You'll be handle any one them, even if you prefer even more board length and width, then the Alps and the Condors are sweet.
                          It's a tough choice, but whatever board you choose, you won't be disappointed in. It may take a few times down the slope getting used to the added length or width from what you have been riding, but by mid day you'll be fying!
                          Glad to see come over to Skiboarding for sure! Ya did good sticking with it for a winter sport.
                          C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                            Also note that if you scale down a 120 Spruce, which has a reputation of being the SUV of skiboards to a 103 length, you are pretty close to a Revel8 Rumpspringa. The Rumpspringa may soon become known as the mini SUV of skiboards some of us have been looking for, for lighter and shorter riders (like my wife).
                            Hmm, just thinking that maybe instead of Mini SUV they should be known as the crossover. Just a thought.
                            Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
                            X