Mary Jane/ Bullet narrow skiboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Jane/ Bullet narrow skiboards?

Past few years everyone has been talking about how crab narrow boards are... so why does revel8 comes up with narrow boards in their new collection?

What's the big differents between this ones and the old snowblade like boards???

Wow - as first posts go that was pretty impressive.

Don't look at me for an answer - although the Rocket is still wider than the "blade" style skiboards - but I'm interested to hear thoughts on the question you've asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Jermaine View Post
      Past few years everyone has been talking about how crab narrow boards are... so why does revel8 comes up with narrow boards in their new collection?

What's the big differents between this ones and the old snowblade like boards???
      This is actually a great question... a narrowish , well constructed board can be a real sweet and different ride from our wide bodied boards. . . A classic board of the past was the Line bullet with similiar side cut dimensions to the new Rocket /Maryjane boards . . Last year .. I picked up a pair and rode them with top end Line FF pro's and changed forever the way I feel about narrow skiboards., the Rocket is a bit wider in the tip and longer than the Bullet and should live up to it's name and be even better. .. here is my review of the Line Bullet and how it compares to 110 fat boards ... which may give a bit of a clue to how the Rocket/Mary Jane boards will perform ..

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=5600
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Yes, in general wider boards make for better all mountain boards. These new narrow boards are meant for high speeds and long linked carves on groomed runs pretty much. We have enough of a market for skiboards these days that things have started branching out into more specialized boards. Right now I pretty much ride Sherpas if I am planning on riding powder or all mountain and my old EMPs on occassion. If I had the money, I would actually probably pick up a pair of KTPs for hardpack and park days. It's all about having the boards for the job. In this case, narrower allows you to have quicker edge to edge control. Hopefully that helps to explain it a little better.
        I do it because I can.
        I can because I want to.
        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
        '08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by Jermaine View Post

to add to others:

snowblades/skiblades use foam cores and the only binding option is cheap 8 hole plastic bindings.

rumspringa uses wood core and uses industry standard 4x4. from the FAQ regarding 4x4 vs. 8 hole

Q. Are 4 hole skiboards (aka 4x4) better than 8?
          A. 8 hole insert boards (salomon, new line's, k2, sporten, almost all skiboards we don't carry) are definitely inferior to 4 hole, for a number of reasons:

1. 8 hole boards spread the contact area of the bindings over a larger area meaning less of the board can flex meaning the ride isn't as good, especially for carving.

2. Most companies that make boards with 8 hole inserts choose to use foam cores which come out super stiff, aren't as fun to ride, do not provide even, lasting or consistent flex and aren't as strong, which equals more potential for breakage.

3. No company makes replacement parts or replacement 8 hole bindings. Which means if you ever break an 8 hole binding you have to buy new bindings AND boards. And, since all 8 hole bindings are made of cheap plastic it's more likely they will break.

4. The universal 4 hole insert pattern is an industry standard and is used by ALL core skiboarding companies which means you can interchange bindings and boards and even upgrade your boards and/or bindings independently of each other.

5. 4x4 bindings are super easy to install and move. They just require a screwdriver.

6. 8 hole boards do not use inserts and are screwed directly into the boards core material. This method is no where near as strong as using 4x4 stainless steel inserts manufactured in the core at the time of the boards creation. As evidenced by this 8 hole skiblade recall in 2007

There really is no reason to buy foam core boards that use 8 hole plastic binding when you can buy high quality, wood core boards that use 4 hole, all metal bindings for the same price or less.

Comment

pwnd!?

Il moros
            Flows
            Chronics

Comment

Originally posted by darobbert View Post
              pwnd!?
              not at all, it was a good question and i'm happy we can have the discussion. because once people learn all the facts about skiblades vs. skiboards there is no reason to buy skiblades.

g

Comment

Construction DOES make a huge difference in how boards ride .. the skiboard market is flooded with cheap blade like boards . .I own 90 and 99cm snowblades , myself, and they are totally different in ride from the Line bullet I own which was designed as a performance skiboard, with carbon stringers and triaxial glass lay up with 4 hole inserts for a performance binding . The new Rocket /Maryjane , like the other R8 boards has carbon beams , poplar wood core , dampening etc ,e tc that will make it a whole different animal then the blades,performance wise .
                Boards :
                Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                Boots
                K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                Bindings:
                Zero Pro Non release Binding
                Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I think we might be straying away from the original poster's question. I got the impression that it was just being asked why the shape is suddenly ok again.

I don't think the benefits of R8's construction/binding patterns etc. etc. is at all in doubt.

I'm pleased to see them trying something a bit different. The line-up doesn't exactly neglect people who want 90cm+ skiboards so having one a bit out of the blue like that is cool.

Comment

oof...
                    i am having a bad day on this forum.
                    my background got ftl'd and my pwnd!? got pwnd.

Il moros
                    Flows
                    Chronics

Comment

Originally posted by darobbert View Post
                      my background got ftl'd and my pwnd!? got pwnd.
                      Hahahaha. But that comment had win written all over it.

Comment

One thing to consider...

These boards are skinny by today's standards of boards, but they are actually extremely similar sized as older classic boards, somewhat of a mix of a MNP and a Bullet:

Revel8 Rumpspringa: 103cm 11.6/9.5/11.6

Revel8 Revolt: 105cm 14.5/11/14.5
                        Line Bullet: 98cm 11.3/9.5/11.3

This gives you the added support from the length of the revolt, with the quick edging that some people like from bullet like boards

Comment

[QUOTE=jjue;60475]This is actually a great question... a narrowish , well constructed board can be a real sweet and different ride from our wide bodied boards. . . A classic board of the past was the Line bullet with

Here... Here.. This is why I have returned to riding my atomic 120 over the last two seasons and also picked up the used Rossi 130 after trying Jacks. On hardpack these skis are fabulous and effortless to ride compared to my wide bodied boards. Grant it they don't have that great skiboard feel, but they are a whole lot of fun in a different way. I'll bet that this new skiboard will be great under the right conditions. Light riders and women will probaly really appreciate this board. Mary Jane.... hummm, named after a women or something else..... Revel8 women team rider? :>)

Wendell
                          Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                          Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                          Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                          History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Thnx for the information guys.

I realy had no doubt that the revel8 skiboards are way better quality then snowblade like boards! I only own snowblades and elans and always thought they where that slow and unstable because of the narrow shape.

I realy want to buy some decent boards but you can't get them anywhere here in the Netherlands. Thru this site I became realy intrested in buying the KTP's but am worried about High shipping rates + import taxes.

So the Rocket's/ MJ's are realy faster then the KTP's and even the Condors?

Comment

Also note that if you scale down a 120 Spruce, which has a reputation of being the SUV of skiboards to a 103 length, you are pretty close to a Revel8 Rumpspringa. The Rumpspringa may soon become known as the mini SUV of skiboards some of us have been looking for, for lighter and shorter riders (like my wife).

I expect it to be a winner for those smaller riders looking for an all mountain skiboard and taller / heavier riders who want to aggressively carve the groomers.

Heck, I plan to use my wife's Rumpspringa when she is sipping hot chocolate at the cafe on the slopes.

This is a great addition to the offering.
                              sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Working...
                              X