Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does skiboarding feel different from skiing ?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ski Boards

I think we could of summed it up by saying It feels better
    Revel8 Revolt "city" (lite riser release bindings)
    Revel8 Rumspringa "Mary Jane"
    "No guts No glory" my skiboarding motto
    Real Age: 20
    "I value my life more than a helmet" - nolhay

Comment

Wow. Reading the first post makes me feel like I'm missing something. Granted I've only tried out my skiboards once, but still I didn't really get the same feeling you described. I think maybe I was far too nervous to enjoy myself, was still used to the feel of normal skis, or just wasn't on the right type of run. The first run I went down (after the bunniest bunny hill of them all) was a blue diamond and I had a lot of trouble turning as frequently as I should have. I feel like each turn just made me go a little bit faster. I built up too much speed, lost control, caught an edge and tumbled in a heap of "omfgwtf just happened?". It caused a slight injury to my right leg but I tried the run again, skiing like an old granny, way too cautious and slow, probably cutting off every snowboarder and skiier on the hill. At least I made it down without a somersault, though I fell on my butt a few times. SO do any of you have any recommendations on what types of snow/slopes would be best for skiboards and some tips on turning and how to, well, get down the mountain and enjoy it?
      Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. ~Dave Barry

The sensual caress of waist deep cold smoke.... glory in skiing virgin snow, in being the first to mark the powder with the signature of their run. ~Tim Cahill

Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads. ~Author Unknown

<3 <3 <3

Comment

Originally posted by HarleyQuinn View Post
        Wow. Reading the first post makes me feel like I'm missing something. .. SO do any of you have any recommendations on what types of snow/slopes would be best for skiboards and some tips on turning and how to, well, get down the mountain and enjoy it?
        Hi Harleyquinn , the most important thing about skiboarding as opposed to skiing is that our boards are basically on edge all the time and we control our speed by the types of turns we make ,
        relax choose a low blue slope and get the hang of getting your boards up on edge and feeling the edges carve in the snow .. often your downhill skiboard will have some more weight then the up hill skiboard .... keep at it and it will come .. !

Valmorel has some nice vids of he and his buddies carving easily and controlling speed easily and relaxed on skiboards

you can make long turns like this

or short turns like this

or like this

or like this

Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

One thing to add HarleyQuinn:

We mere mortals ride with our feet / skiboards wider apart (shoulder width) than the expert riders valmorel and his buddies in the videos. A wider stance may help your balance and confidence as you first start riding.

Practice at home on carpet to get the motion valmorel and his buddies use. (Swing your knees.)

Do not give up and try to relax. It will come to you.

BTW: What skiboards and bindings do you have?
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Methinks I am going to go on Monday to the mountain and try some of these tips. I guess I do have some learning to do! I just hope I don't get too freaked out by falls or collisions that I stop going. I've never been all that active and have never broken a bone. >.<

Revel8 Rumspringa Mary Janes with Bomber II elites
            Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. ~Dave Barry

The sensual caress of waist deep cold smoke.... glory in skiing virgin snow, in being the first to mark the powder with the signature of their run. ~Tim Cahill

<3 <3 <3

Comment

Methinks I am going to go on Monday to the mountain and try some of these tips. I guess I do have some learning to do! I just hope I don't get too freaked out by falls or collisions that I stop going. I've never been all that active and have never broken a bone. >.<

Revel8 Rumspringa Mary Janes with Bomber II elites
              Nice set up, and a good choice.

Also put some focus on learning how to hockey stop. Once you know you can stop, you will relax and everything else will come together. And do not look down. Look out further so the "speed" is less noticable.
              sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

WOW! I just went skiing this past Monday and MAN was it fun!!! I took your advice and tried to loosen up and learn how to stop and turn right and I had such a great experience! It really was so enjoyable. Thanks for all your tips!

<3 <3 <3

Comment

WOW! I just went skiing this past Monday and MAN was it fun!!! I took your advice and tried to loosen up and learn how to stop and turn right and I had such a great experience! It really was so enjoyable. Thanks for all your tips!
                  Good to hear things have worked out for you. Please keep us informed of your progress.
                  sigpic

Comment

To reply to jjue original post about comparing snowboarding and skiboarding.
                    I happen to do hardboot snowboarding at a decent level and carving wise, hardboot snowboarding pulls much bigger G's, however most run of the mill snowboarders skids and don't carve.
                    Skiboarding is much freer and more handy in the flat and between trees etc...
                    However if there's steep well groomed slopes, I'd rather have my carving snowboard, and do this:

http://www.extremecarving.com/movies/movies04.html

Comment

I have only rode the boards which i own those are summit marauders and sherpas. I like them both. I snowboarded from the early days like 20 years ago then got into ski boards the past couple seasons because i did not like the longer skis until i bought a pair of full rocker pow skis 180 plus lengths ep pro, hellbents are what i have.They are set up on center. The ski boards are just plane fun and smile all day long but when i get into the back country (alaska) we use aircraft to access. The ski boards even @ 125,130 lengths i seem to be riding on my heels to keep from going over the bars so for big pow back country i use the ep pros mainly. also while riding a full on rocker pow ski on the groomers they turn very easily because there is only a small amount of the ski contacting the surface but the tips and tails are chattering. The skiboards i most always use for kite sking and find they are the real deal for that, and use them on groomers 50% of the time and the big fat pow skis the rest of the time. I can say that i will probably not snowboard any more since i have started skiboarding it is just that much more fun.

Comment

so what's the difference really? adrenaline rush? boards? snow?
                        Enjoy the best SKI and snowboard experience. Look out for new and exciting tools and features that will surely give you a one of kind experience.

Comment

I'm changing my stance

The vibe is so much different that I probably won't step on my skis again for a very long time, or until I feel like it's worth it again.

I love skiboarding, but I hate skiing it just seems like "work" to me when I'm on skis...
                          Revel8 ALPdors
                          Gold Revel8 Receptors
                          Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                          ____
                          Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                          If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by damienkris66 View Post
                            so what's the difference really? adrenaline rush? boards? snow?
                            I guess what is so special to me is the minimalist nature of skiboarding ... everything is easy , turning is easy , skating around is easy , you don't need poles .. there is less between me and the mountain and you don't need a quiver of different skis for different conditions ....
                            for me the biggest eyeopener was that a 110 super wide skiboard (Condor) , does it all for me , backcountry , junk snow , deep powder , climbing , groomers, moguls .. playing around with family and friends .. .no need for a quiver of boards for me .. one board does it all and does it amazingly well !
                            sweet !....
                            Boards :
                            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                            Boots
                            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                            Bindings:
                            Zero Pro Non release Binding
                            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

i dont really mind the 'why so short?' type of question, its the 'can you do a carve?' or 'are you able to keep up with the rest of the group?' questions that start to annoy me.

so i guess one of the major differences with skiboarding is the ability to relish in the quiet satisfaction that comes from blasting down the first run of the day to see the look of surprise and slight disbelief/speechlessness on a skiers face that many of you will probably be familiar with.

Comment

Being that I am skiing this year for the first time in my life I feel I'm better able to answer this question. For anyone who doesn't know, I'm a lifetime snowboarder who has spent the last 3 full seasons on skiboards, (almost exclusively on longboards with super fun days on KTP's and Condors). In the last off season I was convinced to try skiing in both the back country and in-bounds. So far, the process is nowhere near as harrowing as I thought it would be. Skis are definately different and I of course am still a total Fred. But, there is no terrain I cannot tackle at this point. Backcountry, trees, moguls and up to 40 degree or so steeps are all doable. Notice I did not say doable with style. I can pretty much survive anything that isn't completely off the charts and am beginning to have entire runs where I'm in total control and nailing it. If you looked at me for just a split second you would actually think I am a competent skier.

So, what are the differences?

Well, first the good for skis - in boot cuff to mid-shin champaign powder there is not a skiboard invented that equals the float, control and all around "dancing on a cloud" feeling of my Dynastar Huge Trouble 185's. They are utterly addicting in those condition and you will outright fiend for more and more. Set your butt straight down parallel to the skis, push shins against boot tongue, skis together, stay loose and fall in love. You will find yourself believing in God.

How about the bad? Well, skis are more work in a lot of conditions. That's odd because the bigger sticks are actually much more forgiving of bad form and bridge gaps infinitely better than a skiboard. But, in those facts lies the problems. For me, I don't like how skis create a more diconnected from the terrain feel. I don't like what feels like excessive weight shift requirements to intiate turns. Just try "leaning over only" on skis - you'll keep going straight. You need to set a hip. The groom feels like pure hell. Oh, you'll get there fast but make no mistakes about it - you're still going to hell. Everytime I'm on true hardpack I do nothing but curse while the pow fiend writhes in withdrawl spasms. Moguls are better once you overcome the fear of letting yourself glide over the tops of more than one at a time. Find somewhere intermediate to practice this and you'll start to feel like a straight mogul freak. But, the true steeps will bring you right back to planet earth - hopefully in one piece.

Skiboards are more fun and easier on the body in general. On skiboards the relationship is different. The tools give permission but do not enable. You pay more attention on skiboards. I mean that as a 100% positive. The mountain gives endless feedback and your body is always making at least minor corrections to accomodate the terrain. Laziness really isn't permitted. Longboards are great fun in pow because they porpoise instead of plow. I'm sure there are skis that also behave this way but my HT's basically mole through pow where the Sherpa acts like a submarine belly flopping onto the surface and digging back in. I freakin' love that feeling. I smile more on skiboards. I enjoy more.

Bottom line is I could recommend skiboarding to anyone regardless of what type of snow they like. At this stage, I'm more reserved about skis. But, there is good in them. There are techniques to learn and new feelings to experience. I'll have to wait and see where it all goes.
                                "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Working...
                                X