What is the best Revel8 board for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the best Revel8 board for me?

Hi. New to the site. I came across you shopping for some skis by fluke. I had wanted to try out skiblades several years ago when they became popular. I am now looking at getting a decent pair of skiboards (thanks to this site instructing me on the advantages of proper skiboards).

I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, and I can't find anyone who sells actual "skiboards" in Alberta (I guess not many people do this up here). All I can find are Solamon or Head big easy skiblades. So I am planning on ordering some skiboards from the site. I might as well spend some more money and get something that I will get more use out of.

I want to get ski-boards with the quick release Spruce Pro Prime risers & bindings (rather go this route and try to avoid breaking anything). I am stuck between four models, all from Revel8:

Revel8 2008 (or 2007) BWP 98cm Skiboards

Revel8 2007 Tansho 90cm Skiboards

Revel8 2008 Bantam "FITC" 75cm Skiboards

Revel8 2008 Bantam "Samurai" 75cm Skiboards

I have skied for several years, although I haven't the past few seasons. I have been an avid hockey player, ice skater and rollerblader for 20 years. I was thinking that I probably would enjoy a board 100cm or shorter due to my history being based more in skating than skiing. I am also a shorter guy, at 5'6" so I don't want anything too long for skiboards.

I am hoping that someone on here with a similar background can answer this question for me. I want something that is still as close to all-mountain as I can get. My climate here usually gives a good amount of snow, but we have had a few winters lately where we skied on a lot of hard packed artificial snow (ice). I'd like to be able to use them in a variety of conditions. Also, I'm not sure how much I will be into the terrain parks. I have a good one locally, so I may or may not get involved in that. Basically, I am looking for a good all purpose skiboard that will allow me to do just about anything the sport offers. Which board will be the best for me based on my selection criteria.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated. I've read around the site a bit, but hadn't really found anything that specifically helped me in my dilemma.

Also, I noticed when you go to purchase the Revel8 2007 Tansho 90cm Skiboards that you don't get the option of the quick release Spruce Pro Prime risers & bindings that I want. Do they not fit on this particular model? Am I correct in my understanding that any traditional hard ski boot will work with the quick-release bindings?

Thanks!!!!!

Dustin

i say, defintatly dont go down to the Bantams, those are just too small for your height.

the BWPs or Tanshos would be both great for you. BWPs will be more stable, while the Tanshos will have more of a skate-like feel. I'm about 5'8" and i rode Tanshos last year and loved them.

the tanshos will fit the Spruce Riser releasable bindings. this is the "4x4" industry standard for bindings. there might be an error on the site.
    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel
      i say, defintatly dont go down to the Bantams, those are just too small for your height.

the BWPs or Tanshos would be both great for you. BWPs will be more stable, while the Tanshos will have more of a skate-like feel. I'm about 5'8" and i rode Tanshos last year and loved them.

the tanshos will fit the Spruce Riser releasable bindings. this is the "4x4" industry standard for bindings. there might be an error on the site.
      Thanks for the reply! I was leaning towards the BWP skiboards.

Comment

im 5'8'' and have bwps 07s love them i was 5'6'' last season so i can say they will work great for park for your height.

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel

The spruce bindings aren't listed with the tanshos because the tanshos are in stock but the spruce bindings aren't, yet. we expect the composite risers soon and the pro series near the end of october. i'll try to add them with a note saying coming soon that way you can pre-order the tanshos (or other in stock boards) with spruce.

g
          Last edited by Greco; 09-27-2007, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greco
            The spruce bindings aren't listed with the tanshos because the tanshos are in stock but the spruce bindings aren't, yet. we expect the composite risers soon and the pro series near the end of october. i'll try to add them with a note saying coming soon that way you can pre-order the tanshos with spruce.

g
            Will the lite bindings be available sooner by chance???

I am probably going to end up getting the '08 Revel8 BWP if the bindings won't be available until the end of October.
            Last edited by mi6_; 09-27-2007, 05:02 PM.

Comment

More and more Canadians finally getting on the boards.... good to see.

Yeah, we dont have a local dealer yet....Greco is still on the rise so you never know.

I have similiar experience through the hockey and rollerblading. I got into Skiboarding last year.

I have "snowbladed" and trust my when i say skiboarding is more fun, more laughs, more bold. The width is what comes off as the most difficult. You still feel like you want to skate but you are not. But when you comprehend what these bad boys are for.....the ice/snow/packed you realize why the fatness? These things are ment for carving, stabilty, and speed.

I have 3 boards Tanshos, BWPs, EMPs(Revolts). I am 6'0 200lbs and enjoy the BWPs the best. They are underated as all-around boards. They are still great for all mountain riding and awesome when you want to hit the park. They have a great skating feel once you get used to the width factor. They are even better this year too!!

Enjoy!!

Dont wonder when it comes to boards. This is the cheapest shipping and handling without the tariffs you will see.[U]

P.s. I will be posting some releasables for sale on ebay soon. Used one season. Have a look in the equipment section if interested:
              http://www.sbol.ws/vbulletin/upload/...?threadid=4031
              Last edited by Manlenium; 10-03-2007, 04:19 AM.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Originally posted by mi6_
                Will the lite bindings be available sooner by chance???

I am probably going to end up getting the '08 Revel8 BWP if the bindings won't be available until the end of October.
                they might be, they near production now so if all goes well it might be a little sooner.

g

Comment

I have a similar background to you and am a bit smaller,
                  and I think the BWPs are the best all mountain option (I also have 90cm SnowJams).

Remember that once you have the bindings you can save up for another pair of skiboards if you want a bit of choice for varying conditions/riding style.
                  Revel8 BWP - Spruce Pro Prime
                  SnowJam 90 - Extreme II

Comment

I'd personally suggest the BWPs if you're going for more all mountain than park. I started out on SnowJam 90's, and while that is a decent length (even for me at 6'3") in general, but they just aren't quite stable enough once you get confident and start pushing harder.
                    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

How similar is ice skating/rollerblading to skiboarding (excluding the obvious stopping differences between the two)???? I've been reading around and found a few posts that touched on this, but none that explicitly answered this question.

Is travelling forward on level ground the same, as well as turning around to go backwards? Can you skiboard in reverse on level ground?

I am wondering how much of a change is needed to go from skating/rollerblading to skiboarding? If you are very good on skates or rollerblades, do the skills transfer over more or less?

Comment

Riding on level ground, the feel is very much like skates. You can definitely ride backwards on skiboards. They were designed with that in mind when they were first created. There was even a fakie race at the world cup last year. Going to fakie is a bit different than skates, but on a whole the same idea. You have to worry about catching and edge and dealing with the length, but that's no big deal.
                        I do it because I can.
                        I can because I want to.
                        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                        '08 KTPs

Comment

as a hockey player and inline marathon skater, i can say its close, just don't try cross overs.... unless you want to fall spectacularly
                          never be able to say you didn't try

Comment

Originally posted by mi6_
                            How similar is ice skating/rollerblading to skiboarding (excluding the obvious stopping differences between the two)???? I've been reading around and found a few posts that touched on this, but none that explicitly answered this question.

Is travelling forward on level ground the same, as well as turning around to go backwards? Can you skiboard in reverse on level ground?

I am wondering how much of a change is needed to go from skating/rollerblading to skiboarding? If you are very good on skates or rollerblades, do the skills transfer over more or less?
                            On level ground it is very similiar to skating. I found when i was trying to move on level ground i was using more thigh then anything. I thought i was going to feel it the next day like hockey tryouts after the summer. I was surprised that i felt absolutly no pain or soreness from the skiboards.

You can go backwards fairly easy, but there is more friction then skates/inlines. You have to work a bit harder, again power directed from thighs to legs.

If you are good on inlines/skates you should have no worries. The transition is smooth once you get around the width and length. Once your comfortable with the feeling you should be bombing and spinning in no time.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

I placed my order for the Revel8 2008 BWP skiboards with the Spruce Pro Risers with releasable bindings. I have mulled over the decision of whether to get the 90 cm Tansho or the 98 cm BWP. Went with the BWP since they are only a bit longer and wider, so they will probably be better for general mountain running and carving which is what I will be doing most.

Now I just hope they get here soon so I can test 'em out!

Thanks for all your help everyone!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X