This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mwg569 View Post
    Should I be removing the bindings before hot waxing?
    I just loosen them a bit. I heard that heating them with tension on the inserts could possibly cause problems. I don't know if it's true or not, but I'm not going out of my way to find out.

With how I use two sawhorses, the bindings hold the boards in place as I scrape the boards off, rather then just sliding around (just acting as a bump-stop)
    2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

Originally posted by bri_guy View Post
      How long does the whole process take?

Is there a YouTube video too?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2BUQ...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDRoKCAFtX8

On the bindings I would remove/loosen them as ChaosAura said. I've seen people's snowboards develop deep dimples under the inserts from people not loosening/removing them.
      Revel8 2009 KTP
      Spruce Pro 75
      Full Tilt 2009 High Five

Comment

Should one should do a basic wipe with basecleaner first? Like what's sold here at sbol

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Merch...roduct_Count=9

I don't really know what's on my skiboards now, whatever skiboards.com or Summit puts on them I guess. Maybe it's just a basecoat.

thx

Comment

waxing

Do you need to remove the bindings before waxing? I never have done this with my skis that have releasable bindings, but I didn't know if this is different with non-release bindings.

Comment

No need to remove them, but loosening them is a good idea, I've heard of divets forming on the bases under the inserts with people who have left the bindings fully tightened when they wax.
            2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

If I'm expecting the temperatur to be in between two waxes, should I choose the harder or the softer wax?
              Line Jedis
              Line Bullets
              '11 KTP's
              2xFF cams
              '11 silver receptors
              Full Tilt Booters

Comment

Originally posted by Fast View Post
                If I'm expecting the temperatur to be in between two waxes, should I choose the harder or the softer wax?
                Good question, Fast. I'd like to know the answer to that as well.

And here's my obligatory waxing-related dilemma: My new DLP's arrived a couple of days ago, and I'm thinking about taking them on their virgin run next weekend. However, I'd like to wax them before their first day at the slopes to make sure that the bases are sufficiently protected. Will it be enough if I just hot wax, scrape and polish them once with a regular wax, or should I actually prepare the bases by waxing and scaping them multiple times to properly saturate the bases? I read somewhere that it could take up to ten (!) waxings and scrapings to properly prepare the base of a new ski. Please don't say it's so.

Comment

Alright, I've done some research and have decided to ride my boards once with the factory wax still on, and then

1. clean the bases with a soft wax (hot wax, scrape when still warm),

2. apply a proper base wax by slowly saturating the base with generous amount of wax until the bases have a greasy appearance and will no longer absorb the wax,

3. scrape off the extra wax and let the bases cool down,

4. apply a good surface wax, let it sit for a while, scrape, brush and polish the bases, clean the edges, and finally

5. pass out from sheer exhaustion.

Oh, and Fast, I presented your question to a skier-friend of mine, and he said that one should pick the harder wax if between two temperatures. He reckoned that in general one should always opt for the hardest possible wax for the temperature, since softer waxes tend to collect more dirt (especially on moist spring snow) and give less protection to the bases.

Comment

I have a small cloth tool bag that I keep my tuning gear in.

I cut a piece of like 6 inch foam into two pieces that fit snugly in the bottom of the tool bag.

When I work on my sticks I use the foam blocks to support it.

I use some big thick rubber bands to hold back the brakes.

I scrape and clean the bases to get good straight bases.

Next I dress the base and side of the edges before waxing. The edge tool sharpens the edges. To get the right angles on the base and side edges it's referenced to the base. So the tool rides along the ptec base as the reference for the angles. Well this leaves small lines in the base that I don't want in my final wax job. This is why I clean the base and sharpen the edges then wax.

I use an edge tool to dress the base of the edges on both skiboards first (today I used 1 degree). My edge tool has to be adjusted for the different base and edge angles so I do all the edge bases at one time to minimize how many times I have to readjust the tool.

Then I dress all the edge sides (today I used 3 degrees for a total edge angle of 88').

The last bit for sharpening is to detune the 4 corners of both boards with a sharpening stone or file. This just gives a smooth transition into sharp edges along the sides, so they are not so grabby.

Then I use a cheap travel iron to hot wax the bases using the bare minimum heat to melt the wax and keep the iron moving . I try to get as even a coat of wax as possible.

I happen to have a metal scraper for removing excess wax, paying close attention to getting wax off the edges and sides.

Lastly I use a 'greeny' scotch pad to finish the bases.

I never feel a need to go any further with polishing the bases with corks, multiple brushes, successively finer steel wool or any other secret techniques. If I was into racing and wearing boner suits then I probably would polish them till I could see myself. For schlubs like me that's too much like work for such a small return.

When I'm done, the foam blocks, iron and tools all fit neatly back into the small canvas tool bag.

YMMV, this is all part of the adventure of finding what works for you.

Comment

The hairdryer works great if you can't get hold of an iron, just heat up the board, rub it on, then keep blowing evenly down the board until all the whiteness goes away and it turns clear, Not sure if it has the same effect but seems to hold up a few runs for me.

Comment

Does anyone have any of the original images for this thread? Nome of them seem to work, or a link to a YouTube video
                        2010 Revolt Bullseye | Bomber Elite Bindings | Dalbello Voodoo Boots

Comment

Originally posted by mikalcarbine View Post
                          Does anyone have any of the original images for this thread? Nome of them seem to work, or a link to a YouTube video
                          This video covers it all in a condensed format: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-XCWhvStd4

There are thousands of these on youtube. Waxing skiboards is no different than waxing skis. Everybody has their own preference on tools and what they do so you do have to experiment a bit but, unless you leave the hot iron sitting on the skiboard, you really can't screw up your boards.

If you are interested in waxing your own boards I suggest you hit your local REI for a free waxing class. You are probably too late in the season for these classes to be offered at the CT stores but you could hit them next season. Most REIs that offer ski service offer this free course. I took this course last season and it allowed me to practice on a pair of trashed skis (not my skiboards) and ask questions from a tech that waxes skis everyday.
                          Boards:
                          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Excellent video, thanks for the advice!
                            2010 Revolt Bullseye | Bomber Elite Bindings | Dalbello Voodoo Boots

Comment

Grinding?

So are stone/belt grinds are good thing for skiboards or not? I've avoided them up until now but can't find any mention of anything for or against? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jash19 View Post
                                So are stone/belt grinds are good thing for skiboards or not? I've avoided them up until now but can't find any mention of anything for or against? Thanks
                                Skiboards are just short skis. A base grind has the same benefit for skiboards as it would for skis. It trues up the base and adds structure to hold wax. But is does take material away from the base so you can only grind away so much.
                                Boards:
                                2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                                2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                                2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                                2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                                2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                                2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                                2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Working...
                                X