need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need advice

hey all, i just registered here today and i was wondering after reading the forums what i should do. i have a pair of salomon snowblades (hehe i know.... from what ive read... theyre not good) but they seem good to me i can bomb down runs like anyone else can on a ski or board but i guess its because i havent really had anything to compare them to, such as a pair or skiboards... so my question is, since i might be purchasing a pair of skiboards in the near future is... how are the skiboards in powder? the reason why i ask this is because that is the only area that i have trouble with on the slopes (the groomed or packed stuff i can hold my own). I am constantly getting buried in powder, face planting or just plain getting stuck and then fighting with gravity to get outta the deep stuff... is there anything i can do with the blades i have to prevent this? do skiboards really float and glide on powder without any technique? i have seen the specs for the skiboards and they are considerably wider than the blades i have, even the widest part is smaller than the narrowest section on a skiboard hehe... if they can work the magic through powder then im sold... but if i will continue to get trapped or buried and stuck in the white stuff.. im not sure if i want to buy a new pair... i might get a board or skis...
    please help... i am a starving student that wants to have a blast on the mountain and i dont want to regret purchasing a pair and finding out that they dont get the job done....

thanks everyone... any response will be greatly appreciated hopefully i will be able to use them this season hahaha

youll have a much much better time in powder on some realy skiboards, i promise that. im assuming your skiblades are 99 cm... a good set of 99 cm skiboards will handle quite a bit of powder from what i have read...
    Bringing skiboarding down south.....

.xX DEATH_BEFORE_DISHONOR Xx.

-Snowjam 90s with extreme II bindings
    -Revel8 BWPs with Line FF Pro bindings

Comment

Yea, true skiboards will handle much better in the powder. They are wider and in some cases longer giving you much more surface area to float with. There are quiet a few members here who do powder a lot.
      Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

I ride powder regularly on my EMP's that are 105. I will not say that you do not need any technique to stay on top of powder with these, but you will even run into the same issues on skis. No matter what you ride you will have to put a little bit of effort into it to avoid sinking in the deep powder. I have been in waist deep powder with my EMP's, and the only times that I sunk at all was when I got into flat areas and lost some speed and when I fell backwards from leaning back a little bit too much. Riding in powder is a lot easier on true skiboards than it was on snowblades though. The main key to riding powder on skiboards is leaning back, but you have to have enough surface area below you to make it worthwhile, which snowblades do not have.
        I do it because I can.
        I can because I want to.
        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
        '08 KTPs

Comment

i was just riding knee deep powder at bromont last night. pretty much any skiboard that SBOL sells is great for powder except maybe the snowjam 99s
          Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

its not only the wider surface area but the blunter edges as well. I remember when i was trying salomons up at silverstar in bc.. as soon as i just crossed over out of bounds to do some fresh powder, i face planted...

u wont have the same problem with skiboards. leaning back always helps too

Comment

hey thanks guys for the prompt replies!! thats awesome.. i am very interested in the revel8 emp 105's because they are a lil longer than my blades... and its true with the blades, powder is my weakness.. and i cant keep up in it with my boarder buddies.. so my only resort is to either pick up a board or something else that can do it.. my blades are 99.9cm i think they are the widest ones that salomon makes but they are too thin... oh with the leaning back technique ive tried it with the blades.. but maybe its because they are too small to im having trouble with that... the only way i can go into powder is by following the tracks of the boarders.. which doesnt really count... hehe anything else and im ok... plus i love the speed from these blades but if skiboards go even faster.. than i think im sold... i just need to save up enough money for the emp's and im thinking about getting the bomber elite bindings they look pretty sweet...
              oh and with the waist deep powder and stuff... ive never been that deep hehe i was only talking about powder that was around 1ft hehe.... but hey if they can operate that well in that deep of powder.. they destroy my blades...
              thanks a bunch guys for all the replies... it really helped me out alot...
              good riding all!!

Comment

one other question...

ok i am goin to buy the skiboards for sure... but im unsure of the bindings now... i originally was planning on purchasing the bomber elites, but now they are sold out.... and my other option is the line ff pro... and so here i ask... what are the advantages and disadvantages of these two bindings...
                because if the bombers are really that much better i might have to pick them up seperately or something... i really like how they are designed and just the color of the metal hehe it goes good with the white whereas the line ff pros are an orange color which imo is just ok... anyways before i go off on a tangent its function over looks so please, any info will help...
                thanks again everyone

Comment

Really, either of them are fairly equal performance-wise, and some people even prefer the FFPros because they have finer adjustments. Unless the orange really bothers you, they should be good, and really awesome compared to plastic Solomons.
                  Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
                  Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

finer adjustments? this is what ive noticed:

bombers:
                    4 adjustment screws
                    aluminum/rubber board interface (i dont know what that means is this better??)
                    lines:
                    2 adjustment screws?
                    rubber only board interface (or is this better? )

i like the fact that they are both made of metal... which means that they will be very strong...

aside from the color.... (hehe i am kinda picky.. because they will run me quite a heavy bill and i will have to live with my decision forever) i think i would actually buy them... but i guess i snoozed hehe since i missed the bombers by a day...

and yah they will definitely be better than my plastic bindings hehe

Comment

Working...
                    X