Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I love my skiboards, but can't land jumps! I need some advice...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I love my skiboards, but can't land jumps! I need some advice...

Hi,
    Last Sunday I bought some older Dynastar Twins from eBay for $50. They came Wednesday. It is like Christmas here. I just bought the skiboards, just bought some Volkl P50 skis that should be coming tomorrow, and will be buying some ski bindings soon. I've been skiing for 3 years, and am a ski patroller. (1st year) As soon as I tore my twins out of the box, I adjusted the bindings, and then hot waxed them. I then headed out to go try them out. I was advised not to wear my patrol pack while on them, if I was going to be messing around, skiing backwards, etc (I can't wear my jacket yet). I did a green run for the first run on them, and halfway through the run I started getting balanced right. By the end of the 3rd run, I felt comfortable on them, and went and skiied the rest of the hill. Every run was more fun than the last. I love those little things! Nearly every person I rode up the lift with commented about them, one slalom racer wanted to watch me ski on them, and everybody in the lift lines were staring at them. People were pointing, and looking. Someone yelled,"What did you do, cut your skis in half?" It would actually almost look like it, since I ski on Dynastar skis, that are the same color. Skiboards are a rare sight where I ski.

Anyway, I can do 360's and 180's on the ground just fine, and am comfortable with skiing backwards. (probably because I do it a lot of my normal skis) Then I tried taking a jump. I'm not that good at jumping on normal skis. I can comfortably jump 2-3', without flailing my arms around, and land it well. Any more than that, and I get off balance and land, but usually the tips or tails will hit first. I still need to work on that a bit. Maybe when less people are around to laugh at me. But, when I tried jumping like 2' on the skiboards, upon landing, I promptly wiped out. Any advice for landing jumps on skiboards?!?! I really want to do jumps on them, but fear the next time I jump them I'll just do the same thing.

Thanks.

How did you fall when you landed? One of the most common things is that you have to learn to not land in the backseat. You weight has to be over the boards unlike skiing where you can literally sit down on the landing. On skiboards this will just pop the bottoms out from underneath you.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

I think I was leaning back. It happened so fast. I think I was leaning back a little, boards went out from under me, and I fell on my right side. It still hurts when I walk, 3 days later. I'l really like a shorter "kicker" or whatever you want to call it at my local ski area, so I can get more comfortable. The small one is like 5' tall with a big landing area thing that is like a hill, and then a few bigger ones. I wish there was something like 2-3' tall, that I could get more comfortable on. I'm sure that I sound really beginner with park stuff. Someday I'll be more comfortable with jumping, etc. Most of the time when I'm skiing, I'm working on skiing skills (I learned from my dad, who is also relearning to ski, because we both ski "oldschool", leaning back, and skis close together; I'm now leaning forward all the time, and skis are shoulder width apart), and not tricks. I'll have to spend more time in the park. If I were more comfortable with ski jumping, would skiboards be easier?

Comment

number one mistake when starting to jump is you don't actually "jump" when you get to the lip of the kicker. if you don't actually push off the lip you'll most usually end up off balance landing in the backseat. so next time practice springing off the lip of the jump at the very last second and then you should have more control in the air. oh yeah and keep your hands out in front of you for balance until you're comfortable and then start adding grabs

and wear a helmet!

g

Comment

Originally posted by hamradio
          I'll have to spend more time in the park. If I were more comfortable with ski jumping, would skiboards be easier?
          only one way to find out brother....

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

Originally posted by Greco
            number one mistake when starting to jump is you don't actually "jump" when you get to the lip of the kicker. if you don't actually push off the lip you'll most usually end up off balance landing in the backseat. so next time practice springing off the lip of the jump at the very last second and then you should have more control in the air. oh yeah and keep your hands out in front of you for balance until you're comfortable and then start adding grabs

and wear a helmet!

g
            Interesting. When I do push off the kicker on my normal skis, it does seem a bit easier to land. Seems like I have more control over my jumping when I do that, but I didn't want to go really high or anything (at least in my mind) with the skiboards.

Comment

Working...
            X