Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Variable conditions and Powder riding questions answered.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New and stuck

Hey, I'm new. I just went twice this week. I live in Colorado and went to Monarch Mountain both times. I went Sunday (got injured jumping off a ski lift), and yesterday. These were my first two times. Yesterday, I got stuck in knee-deep powder. I would, turn-fall, and turn-fall. I just kept getting my edges stuck. Maybe I wasn't keeping my tips up enough? Or was I turning too much? Skiboards too little? Snowjam 75's. Also, I noticed both times I went that I was the only skiboarder. Is skiboarding not popular in Colorado? Is it because of all the powder? We get tons of it. I love skiboarding, but it did make me wonder if it is only good for groomers. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm going to learn to ski or snowboard next.

Comment

Originally posted by mathyogi View Post
      Hey, I'm new. I just went twice this week. I live in Colorado and went to Monarch Mountain both times. I went Sunday (got injured jumping off a ski lift), and yesterday. These were my first two times. Yesterday, I got stuck in knee-deep powder. I would, turn-fall, and turn-fall. I just kept getting my edges stuck. Maybe I wasn't keeping my tips up enough? Or was I turning too much? Skiboards too little? Snowjam 75's. Also, I noticed both times I went that I was the only skiboarder. Is skiboarding not popular in Colorado? Is it because of all the powder? We get tons of it. I love skiboarding, but it did make me wonder if it is only good for groomers. Everyone keeps asking me if I'm going to learn to ski or snowboard next.
      Bigger would help in powder.

If you look at many of Jjue's posts, you'll see that they aren't just good for groomers, he spends more time in backcountry pow then many of us do on groomers or in terrain parks. There's a good chance that you were having trouble with keeping the tips up and that was causing your problems in the powder.

As for skiboarding in Colorado not being popular, it really isn't popular anywhere. Unless there's an organized meet up, most days you'll go without seeing anyone else on them, though you might the odd time.
      2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

What will happen

Yeah, I'll try keeping my tips up, and I want to upgrade my boards. What will happen to all of us if the sport is not popular? I like skiboarding, because I'm a skater. It was very easy for me to take to. Do you think there is a future for us, or we'll end up having to switch?

Comment

Yeah, I'll try keeping my tips up, and I want to upgrade my boards. What will happen to all of us if the sport is not popular? I like skiboarding, because I'm a skater. It was very easy for me to take to. Do you think there is a future for us, or we'll end up having to switch?
          No need to switch , just upgrade to more flotation in your skiboards if you want to ride powder ... i spent a life time skiing long skis . , gave them all to good will, just ride skiboards now .. . way more fun ... .. mostly i hike and ride the backcountry .... i weigh 195 lbs and carry a big backcountry pack ..
          my condor skiboard floats me in EVERYTHING including the deepest pow ...
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I'd say with Greco around running this site, and the high quality boards produced by Revel8/Spruce/Allz, Skiboarding isn't going anywhere soon. It's just not a mainstream thing, not all that many people really know about it. I'd say that's more the reason for it not being popular then the fact that people dislike it.
            2012 Rockered Condors/Spruce Pro Sport///Revolt Cities/Snowjam Extreme2's

Comment

I like being odd! I'd like to see it grow but im fine if our numbers are small. Who cares what's popular and what anyone thinks. I'm sure there will be newer and wierder things in the future. Popular things are started by people doing the unpopular or unfamiliar.
              Like snowboarding. Then all of a sudden it's hip and everyone's doing it. Then something new comes along.
              Sherpas
              Spruce 120's
              Spruce Risers
              12 Tecnica Crossfire 100

Comment

Why does the receptor have a option to move the binding forward?
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X