Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Variable conditions and Powder riding questions answered.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variable conditions and Powder riding questions answered.

Well I just got back from Tahoe in 4 days of depp powder and variable conditions. IE: Powder, ice, slush all in the same day. I recommend riding steeps if its powder, as blues are crowded, and greens have no speed. So get rid of your fear and go for it.

IN POWDER/VARIABLE:
    1. If you can ajust your bindings to the farthest back stance, do it. THe more your tips are up, the better. If your boards are under 90cm, forget it, or youll have a rough time.
    2. Be fearless down steeps! Thats where the pow stashes are and the riding is great just lean back point those tips down and you'll start flying, or make some tight turns. Both these methods work, and will help you maintain speed. Stay on what your comfortable with, if you go on a steep and make huge carvs, you'll loose speed and fall. Not to mention it is a nuissance to everyone else and can be tough to get up for some people.
    3. On moguls or places with thick bumps of loose, fresh snow, when leaning back keep it stong, youll probaly be leaned against the slope if you have a good carve with enough speed. If you do you'll rip right through and bumps
    4. If you end up in a place where the snow is thick, try to get some speed, but dont turn. You will find your speed to deminish super fast and getting it back will take along time.
    5. In variable conditons such as what i expierienced. IE: Powder and Ice. Keep leaning back even if it seems subtle, cause the ice will cause you to eat it really hard or bail. Ice=cement. Cement=pain. Ice patches appear out of no where, especially around trees, early and late season, even on perfect days like the ones i had. Also on ice try to get your edges to dig in, cuase unless your a die hard ice skiboarder that sharpens your edges like a razor its not that safe. It can also cause you to fall if you transfer on to it unexpectedly in a chute, like i did .
    6. If this occurs on a steep run go to the corner so you can get more untracked stuff, and better snow.
    7. On skiboards the turning radius is crazy. Go through glades and trees and youll find this out quickly, its way fun.
    8. Youll find that Steeper turns at a faster rate become easier in powder once your tips are up.
    9. If you see your skiis infront of you, dont be afraid. Alot of people who skiboard slow down cause they think they might fall, but really this is what you want. In deep snow you ride on your tails and you have good manuverability.
    10. In powder condtions the odds of falling lower. Why? The snow is thick but you if one foot get stuck at a good speed you can muscle out of it easily. Today i had 5 expieriences like this on all double blacks, and when one of my skiboards was in the air i was still able to make the turn in the powder.

Last things: Know your limits. be daring, have fun, cause that short adrenline rush doesnt last long. You'll want more.
    Last edited by akira523; 11-14-2006, 05:47 PM.
    Revel8 ALP 110cm 06-07
    Bomber Elite Bindings
    Tecnica Vento 8 Ultra fit 06-07
    Revel8 Gear bag
    Anon Figment Rasta Goggles
    Leedom Scream Helmet (Alpine)

i find having your bindings set soyour boot's center point is right in the middle of your bindings works better actually.

it gives you more tail to lean back on plus your right in the center of the sidecut which is the best for carving and the park

never had trouble with powder and im on 90's, mind you we dont get too much powder here, max 1 or 2 feet.
    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

When mine was centered on my 90's i still got through powder but when landing off cliffs and deep powder jumps(at a steep landing) i found that the tail wasnt digging in enough. But BOTH ways work as long as you lean back. I was riding in untracked so rear stance was good. Heres a pic of untracked deep snow, thats the kind im talking about.
      Attached Files
      Revel8 ALP 110cm 06-07
      Bomber Elite Bindings
      Tecnica Vento 8 Ultra fit 06-07
      Revel8 Gear bag
      Anon Figment Rasta Goggles
      Leedom Scream Helmet (Alpine)

Comment

I mostly ride backcountry and keep my bindings set back as far as they can go. There's definitely a difference in the way they handle and float. At least for me. I'd center mount if you're in the parks at all though.

Comment

Have you tried long boards 105 to 110? Although I've never tried them, was wonder if the longer ones would do a better job in powder?

Dan

Comment

They most certainly do make a difference. I first rode on 90’s and when I switched to 99’s it made a world of difference in deeper snow. I rode ALP’s all last season with no trouble in knee deep powder. I’ve only been out a few times this year on the Revolts but not in anything too deep though. The wider base makes it a great choice for backcountry/powder. Now if the weather will finally go back to winter up here I could get a better feel for them in powder.

Comment

^ seriously, slush and ice everywhere sucks

ian i sent u a e-mail dude.
              Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

I've found that as well as all the stuff listed above(leaning back adjusting your bindings etc) if you keep your boards closer together you'll get more float then keeping them shoulder width apart.

Comment

Last year, I had a day in Wolf Creek, CO, that I never want to re-live. It snowed 2 feet the night before and they were already on a 9 foot base. I only had Snowjam 90s at that time, and the riding was horrendous. I am pretty decent on powder (set my bindings back and lean back), but there was just no getting through the stuff, even making quick carves on the steeps.

There are some things skiboards are not meant for and this is one of them. Now, I just got a pair of Spruce 120s for this very reason. I expect them to perform MUCH better if I ever encounter those circumstances again.

drink300

Comment

my quads get really tired real fast in deep powder cause i have to lean back so much. i have mike nick 89cm's though... i hit the park too much to move the bindings back, i dont really like that idea much personally.

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

I mostly ride woods and for years always set my bindings back to help with floating on powder. I recently set my Revolts to center mount and even in the knee to waist deep powder I was hitting earlier this week I was riding just fine. I think it really depends on the boards whether you "need" to set them back more. Plus matching a board for your height/weight is going to keep you above powder. I'm 6' and about 200 pounds. I used to ride 90's and while it's still fun to pull them out once in a while I wouldn't think of using them in deep pow anymore. Unless I wanted a good leg workout of course.

Comment

I gotta say....anyone who says the MNP's arent good in powder is crazy. I was riding untracked powder between the trees all weekend last weekend and even some waist deep POW! I keep my bindings right in the center and man was I surprised at how insane they handled it. Major leg workout...could barely walk for a couple days but SO worth it. This was my first time hitting powder that deep on skiboards. So much fun.
                        Live and ride like there's no tomorrow...because tomorrow might not be here for you.

Comment

Originally posted by PureVenom
                          I gotta say....anyone who says the MNP's arent good in powder is crazy. I was riding untracked powder between the trees all weekend last weekend and even some waist deep POW! I keep my bindings right in the center and man was I surprised at how insane they handled it. Major leg workout...could barely walk for a couple days but SO worth it. This was my first time hitting powder that deep on skiboards. So much fun.
                          Sorry, I'm new. What are MNP's and how long are they?

Comment

Mike Nick Pros, no longer manufactured they were 98cm, skinny and super flexy.

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

I ride some of the deepest pow out there and go real fuckin big in the backcountry.I have never adjusted my bindings.if you want to know the key to floating through powder its this simple ,wax for temp and humidity and of course keep thsoe feet togeather,stick your ass out a little and keep you nose over your toes and a whole new world of deep pow skiboarding will open up for you
                              live it, love it,rip it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X