Westfest 2020 - Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westfest 2020 - Utah

Let's get the planning started! This year we're switching a few things up in terms of timing. Be sure to check out our videos from last year if you haven't yet! You can also check out this event on Facebook.

Riding dates
    Monday, March 2 - Friday, March 6

Schedule
    Monday, March 2 - Brighton (Ikon)
    Tuesday, March 3 - Park City (Epic)
    Wednesday, March 4 - Snowbird (Ikon)
    Thursday, March 5 - Snowbasin (Epic, but no buddy or ski with a friend passes here)
    Friday, March 6 - Park City (Epic)

Changes this year
    The event has been moved back to try to avoid the early season conditions we've been seeing more and more of in January. Riding dates will all be midweek to avoid crowds. We've removed Solitude because the crowds are getting out of control and the terrain feels limited if conditions aren't epic. We've added Snowbasin because they've joined the Epic pass. Note: Buddy passes and ski with a friend tickets are not valid at Snowbasin.

Passes and lift tickets
    All of these resorts are on either the Epic or Ikon pass. Daily tickets can also be purchased and deals are often available on Liftopia. There may also be buddy passes available from folks with season passes.

As of November 15, 2019 we've found some decent deals on tickets already:Lodging options
    Most of us tend to stay in the Auto Mall area of Sandy, UT. There are several hotels to choose from within this same area, making carpooling to the resorts and dinner very easy. With these hotels you tend to get what you pay for. Several of us have stayed at the Extended Stay, Hampton Inn, Best Western, Marriott and Residence Inn. All hotels in this area offer free parking.

Travel and transportation
    The Salt Lake City International Airport is serviced by all major airlines with many direct flights. Southwest Airlines can have some great deals and allow two free bags which can save you quite a bit of money.

Rental cars are the most efficient way of getting around, but on snow days the canyons will often have vehicle restrictions, requiring chains or AWD / 4x4 vehicles. If you plan to rent a vehicle, try to coordinate with others to help split the cost and upgrade to something AWD if possible.

If you're not renting or sharing a car, Lyft, Uber and cabs can all be found at the airport. The city also has a fairly extensive bus and light rail system in addition to a Ski Bus which brings you up the cottonwood canyons. On powder days the Ski Bus can get packed, so planning accordingly goes a long way. In these cases, you'll want to get to the bus stop early get on the first stop of the line so you can to try to get a seat. The busses tend to be warm, so try not to bundle up until you get to the resort.

We encourage attendees to coordinate travel. If you've attended the event before, feel free to coordinate directly with others. If you haven't, feel free to post your plans and ask questions. You may be able to find someone willing to split hotel and car rental costs.

Roll call!
    Let us know if you're coming and I'll keep a running list of everyone to help coordinate.

Definitely!
    Courtney
    Tom (macrophotog)
    Russ (local)

Maybe
    Tim (CrazyBoy-1)

Any questions? Let us know!

Got my airline tix this weekend! Excited for another year of Westfest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Can anyone confirm if Alta allows soft boots?

The Skiboard Connection
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSkiboardConnection/

Comment

Originally posted by alnewt1234 View Post

When they interrogated Tim they said that since he was using hard boots he was fine, but we had several people in previous years using soft boots without issue. If you can conceal them with your pants that would be a good idea, but if they happen to notice you they may choose to make it an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by alnewt1234 View Post

I spent a day at Alta in my soft boot set up back in 2015. I got a few sideways looks, but no one questioned me. I may have been lucky to not be challenged by anyone in authority. Technically, it is a ban on snowboards only, but they could easily balk at snowboard boots and bindings on skiboards. If I were to try it again, I would make sure to have a back up just in case. Deer Valley has a snowboard ban as well.

Because Alta used to be on a Friday, before the main event, I don't think anyone else from Westfest ever used their softboot set up at Alta?

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Thanks! Really going to try to make it out there this year for a few days.

The Skiboard Connection
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSkiboardConnection/

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
              When they interrogated Tim they said that since he was using hard boots he was fine, but we had several people in previous years using soft boots without issue. If you can conceal them with your pants that would be a good idea, but if they happen to notice you they may choose to make it an issue.
              Yeah, the guy I talked to indicated that they were currently defining the rule as requiring hard boots, so I was ok. It's really up to you, if you want to chance it. I stood out because I was staged closest to the lifty, and I happened to still have my pant cuffs hooked up on the BTS system on the backs of my boots. This caught her eye, and she pulled me from there. I also use a custom step-in binding setup, which probably threw her off because there was no toe clip. As Courtney said, if you have baggie pants and make sure to stage yourself away from the lift attendants, you'd probably be ok. It might be worth contacting someone at Alta and asking specifically.

As far as attendance, I'm a maybe. I can't say what my work situation will be around that time, so I can't commit fully. I definitely want to go again, though. I had a lot of fun last time.
              RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Brighton has officially received their first snowfall of the season!

Attached Files

Comment

The resort schedule has been finalized!

Westfest 2020 Schedule
                  Monday, March 2 - Brighton (Ikon)
                  Tuesday, March 3 - Park City (Epic)
                  Wednesday, March 4 - Snowbird (Ikon)
                  Thursday, March 5 - Snowbasin (Epic, but no buddy or ski with a friend passes here)
                  Friday, March 6 - Park City (Epic)

There are already some great ticket deals available!
                  Brighton for $29.00
                  Snowbird for $69.99

Comment

Flights are booked, so I'm in.
                    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                      Flights are booked, so I'm in.
                      Awesome!

Comment

I am 90% in for Thursday and Friday. Hotel booked. Plan on Driving from Denver Wednesday.

As long as nothing stupid pops up at work between now and then, I’ll be there.

2013 KTP
                        2018 SII
                        2019 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by Webby View Post
                          I am 90% in for Thursday and Friday. Hotel booked. Plan on Driving from Denver Wednesday.

As long as nothing stupid pops up at work between now and then, I�ll be there.

Awesome!

Comment

It's been a great year so far. Looking forward shredding with everyone. Also, come hungry

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Boards: 15 Blunt XL / 13 Slapdash
                            Bindings: Bomber 2 Elite / Zero Pro
                            Boots: Atomic Hawx 2.0 100

Comment

Finally had the chance to go through some Utah footage from Westfest in early March. We kicked things off at Brighton with about a foot of fresh snow from the previous day.

Stats for the day:
                              Max speed: 46.6 mph
                              Ski vertical: 26,213 ft
                              Ski distance: 27.9 miles
                              Max altitude: 10,344 ft
                              Runs: 22

Comment

Working...
                              X