Midwest Meet 2020 - Mount Bohemia, MI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midwest Meet 2020 - Mount Bohemia, MI

Winter is coming, so let's start planning! The 11th annual Midwest Meet will be held January 24 - 26 at the one of a kind Mount Bohemia, MI (in the Upper Peninsula). You can also check out this event on Facebook.

Bohemia is known for epic snow fall and untouched powder. Recent years have seen 351 inches!

Mount Bohemia's Website: http://mtbohemia.com/

"Mount Bohemia has the longest runs with the highest vertical and deepest powder in the Midwest. Bohemia is all-natural, and has no problem without snow guns. The average snowfall in the Keweenaw is 273 inches. The lake effect snow is dry similar to western resorts and accumulates as powder which is untouched because we do not groom. Bohemia's two new sections; the Outer limits has 100+ acres of inbounds backcountry skiing with 17 new runs even longer and trickier than before."

Check out the videos from last year!

When?
    This year we'll be riding Friday, January 24 - Sunday, January 26.

Group lodging
    Historic house in Calumet
    We've booked the historic house in Calumet. It certainly isn't a luxury establishment, but it's a fun way to spend time together as a group and a great way to keep prices down. Here's a little tour. The listing says it sleeps 12, but that's a bit of a stretch. Without sharing beds, we could comfortably fit 6 or 7 on beds and couches. Our total cost to stay Thursday night through Sunday morning is $616.02 including all fees and taxes. The nightly cost of $205.34 will be split between whoever is staying each night, so if you’re not showing up until Friday, you won’t have to cover lodging costs Thursday.

Getting to the Calumet house
    Google Maps doesn't quite bring you to the right house if you use the address. Punch in the coordinates or use this link to get to the right place.
    47�14'46.6"N 88�27'56.2"W

Other lodging
    In recent years we've stayed at the AmiericInn in Calumet. This is the most expensive, but most comfortable option overall. The hotel has been remodeled and it seems their prices have increased a little as well.

Lift Tickets
    Every year Bohemia has a $99 season pass sale. This year the pass sale will run November 27 through December 7. Most of us take advantage of this, which works out to be a great deal for riding three days. Several of us have also made a second trip back later in the season. Another option is to purchase lift tickets each day for around $73. If you decide to buy lift tickets on site each day, keep in mind that Bohemia has a credit/debit card only policy (no cash). If you bought a multiyear pass, check out those details in advance so you can be prepared.

Schedule
    Here's what our typical schedule looks like. We're open to any suggestions!

Thursday Evening
    - Early arrivals (people who want to ride right away Friday AM)

Friday
    - Arrive at Bohemia
    - Ride
    - Head back to lodging (30 minute drive to Calumet)
    - Dinner in Calumet

Saturday
    - Drive to Bohemia
    - Ride all day
    - Head back to lodging
    - Dinner in Houghton
    - Back to Calumet

Sunday
    - Pack up, check out of lodging
    - Ride until you can't anymore
    - Depart

Carpools
    Minneapolis, MN area: Courtney - Room for up to 3 people, can pick up from Minneapolis airport (MSP) Thursday. Plan to arrive drive up to Calumet Thursday afternoon / evening. Can drop off at the airport Monday morning. Let me know if you're considering flying in and we'll coordinate schedules.

Green Bay, WI area: Andrew - Room for a few people, can pick up from Milwaukee airport.

Who else is driving? Let us know and I'll add you here!

Feel free to contact Courtney or adeehr directly for more information.

Who's coming?
    We'd like to get a list going of "definitelys" and "maybes". Please post and let us know where you belong and we'll add you to the list. Bonus points for making the definitely list before December... but only if you definitely show up!

Definitely!
    Courtney
    Andrew (adeehr)
    Tim (CrazyBoy-1)
    Sam (MoltenCore)
    Zach (zthayer777)
    Old Tyler
    John
    Marshall
    George (local)

Maybe!
    Tyler

Has to be an adult and work
    Jack Schmid the snail boy

If you're hoping to make it let us know and we'll put you on the list!

While you contemplate, check out the great times we've had over the years: Midwest Meet Playlist

Frequently Asked Questions:
    Q: Bohemia's website says "experts only" - should I consider coming?
    A: Yes! As long as you're comfortable riding in trees and quickly turning both directions, you'll be fine at Mount Bohemia. The mountain is 100% natural, so some experience in powder riding / variable conditions is a plus, but not required. Regardless of your riding level, no one will be left behind.

Q: Do I need to wear a helmet?
    A: A helmet is highly recommended. Riding in trees makes for variable conditions and we don't want anyone to sustain any serious injuries.

Q: What should I bring?
    A: Here's a helpful list.

Things you need to bring to Bohemia (or you’re gonna have a bad time)

General:
    - A credit / debit card (cash is not accepted at Bohemia)
    - Printed confirmation of buying your season pass (just in case you're not on their list, because that happens)
    - An ID to prove who you are
    - Printed directions to get to Bohemia (your GPS is probably going to bring you someplace other than Mount Bohemia)
    - Health insurance cards (not a bad idea to carry these on you while riding, just in case)

Riding:
    - Skiboards (bring an extra set if possible)
    - Bindings
    - Boots
    - Leashes
    - Helmet
    - Goggles
    - Jacket
    - Snow pants
    - Layers (the more the better)
    - Gloves / mittens
    - Ski socks
    - Something to cover your face

Things you might want to bring to Bohemia (but probably wouldn’t die without)

- Hand warmers / foot warmers if you get cold when it's cold (sometimes these are hard to find in Houghton, depending on how cold it has been)
    - Camera, GoPro, etc
    - Chargers for your devices
    - Food, beverages, snacks (Bohemia's food isn't great or cheap)
    - Extra outerwear in case you get really wet or something
    - Wax, iron, etc (I'll bring mine, usually a few other people do too)

Pro Tips:

- Don't go in the ditch (you're going to be in the middle of nowhere)
    - Don't lose your wallet or car keys (this has happened)
    - Wax your boards before the trip
    - While cellphone coverage has been improving in the area, signals tend to not be great, so be prepared for that
    - If you'd like a copy of footage shot from various cameras, bring an external hard drive (ideally something Mac or FAT32 formatted)
    - The internet in the general area sucks at best

If you can't make it to the first meet check back in the spring. We typically make another trip out in March. Here's a video from the spring:

I should know by mid November!

Comment

Count me In!
      Boards:
      RVL8 2012 Rockered Condor 110cm
      RVL8 2011 Kirk Thompson Pro "KTP" 101cm
      RVL8 2012 Rumspringa "MaryJane" 103cm
      RVL8 2007 ALP 110cm

Bindings:
      Bomber Elite2
      RVL8 2014 Receptor "Black"
      Spruce Composite Riser

Boots:
      Nordica Ace of Spades 2013

Comment

$99 season passes are on sale now through December 7!

Comment

I picked up some Sherpa's and a season pass. I'm planning on going to the Midwest Meet this year but wondered how things are looking for lodging. Is there still room with the group in Calumet, or should I be working on other arrangements? Let me know what you think when you have time, thanks!

Zach

Comment

Originally posted by zthayer777 View Post
            I picked up some Sherpa's and a season pass. I'm planning on going to the Midwest Meet this year but wondered how things are looking for lodging. Is there still room with the group in Calumet, or should I be working on other arrangements? Let me know what you think when you have time, thanks!

Zach
            Awesome! We have room for you at the house. Where will you be traveling from?

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post

Awesome! We have room for you at the house. Where will you be traveling from?
              Planning on heading out Thursday afternoon from Duluth, MN

Comment

It looks like most of the crew is arriving Thursday evening. Just a heads up that Google Maps doesn't quite bring you to the right house. Punch in the coordinates or use this link to get to the right place. 47°14'46.6"N 88°27'56.2"W https://goo.gl/maps/EpZBUMGsLV1uxDsj9 You'll be looking for a big, bright blue house with a closed in porch on the front.

Zach, could you PM me your cell number? I'll text everyone the access code to the house once I have it so the first to arrive isn't stuck waiting around.

Comment

It looks like most of the crew is arriving Thursday evening. Just a heads up that Google Maps doesn't quite bring you to the right house. Punch in the coordinates or use this link to get to the right place. 47°14'46.6"N 88°27'56.2"W https://goo.gl/maps/EpZBUMGsLV1uxDsj9 You'll be looking for a big, bright blue house with a closed in porch on the front.

Zach, could you PM me your cell number? I'll text everyone the access code to the house once I have it so the first to arrive isn't stuck waiting around.
                  I tried PM'ing you but recieved an error that you've exceeded your quota.

Comment

Originally posted by zthayer777 View Post

I tried PM'ing you but recieved an error that you've exceeded your quota.
                    Sorry about that - all cleared out now!

Comment

Finalizing head count: We currently have 10 confirmed riders (1 local). We might be a little tight in the house, so it wouldn’t be a bad idea to bring a sleeping bag and pillow in case you end up on a couch.

Update on conditions: George is headed up to Bohemia this Thursday and will let us know how conditions are looking. Calumet is currently under a winter weather advisory that’s calling for 3-9 inches of lake effect snow.

Comment

Finalizing head count: We currently have 10 confirmed riders (1 local). We might be a little tight in the house, so it wouldn’t be a bad idea to bring a sleeping bag and pillow in case you end up on a couch.

Update on conditions: George is headed up to Bohemia this Thursday and will let us know how conditions are looking. Calumet is currently under a winter weather advisory that’s calling for 3-9 inches of lake effect snow.
                        Have a great meet. Make sure to post the videos. We will have pictures from East Coast connection, I don't know if there are any video people though.
                        Skis/Skiboards:
                        2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
                        2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
                        2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
                        2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
                        20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
                        2012 Salomon SPK 90
                        2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
                        2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Conditions Update:
                          So first of all, this winter was shaping up to be perhaps one of the most epic. Then we got hit with a week long thaw, followed by a 17.5 inch der dump the night before new years eve, which mostly fixed things. Conditions on Thursday 1/8/2020 was packed wind-blown powder, some ice layer, low temps (9 degrees) with a fresh layer of 1 inch of snow, really fast. The following day 1/9 temps rose to 29 degrees and dropped snow all day which slowed things down a bit without turning too springy. The double wasn't running so we stuck mostly to haunted valley to lower tree zone, tnt (prospector trees) and ventured out to the shire a couple of times. All of these more tree cruiser type runs are in great shape, although things got a little sketchy at the end of the shire before the road. The extreme back country (steeper terrain) was on the unforgiving side. Temps are supposed to stabilize in the high teens which hopefully will bring a lot of lake effect, riding conditions as of now are solid. Base is good to go just pray for fresh der!

Comment

It's almost here!

Weather update: Despite warmer temperatures in the forecast it looks like it will stay below 32 at Bohemia. They’re calling for snow in the area Thursday and Friday.

Hours update: Bohemia will be opening one hour early for season pass holders on Saturday and will have night skiing until 8pm on Saturday as well.

Travel update: I'll text the code to the lock box to everyone driving in Thursday. If you arrive first, feel free to pick a bed and unpack. If you leave the house before others arrive, please lock up and put the key back in the lock box. Drive safe everyone, see you tomorrow!

Comment

Working...
                            X