Skiboarding vs Freeride/Freeskiing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboarding vs Freeride/Freeskiing?

So would you say that there is much of a difference between Freeskiing/Freeriding and skiboarding? I ask this after watching a few of the freeride world tour videos. The S&T video featuring Talon, Dave, Kirk at Christmas Pass and doing the hole in the wall, is that not Freesking? The more that trees and ungroomed terrain are hit up by skiboarders, the more the line is blurred.

What are your thoughts.
    Skis/Skiboards:
    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
    2012 Salomon SPK 90
    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Skiboarders have been "Freesking" (Park and Pipe) for a long time. In fact that is what our traditional cambered boards are made for. And, since the advent of rockered skiboards, we have also be "Freeriding" (Off piste and Backcountry) for some time as well. So, I think we are already there.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I especially like the term 'freeride' because it doesn't exclude anybody. Some of the European resorts are now designating freeride areas, and they are a great playground for the wider skiboards we have now, but be warned, one needs to be fit [emoji846]

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

As far as I'm concerned, not all skiboarding is freeriding, but freeriding doesn't exclude rocking it on skiboards (or telemark, or whatever). It's more a case of the terrain and level of difficulty, and a dash of speed doesn't hurt. Generally some gnar is involved, and some drops will clinch it. Throwing tricks off said drops is really doing it right, but beyond my powers.

@OP: Sounds like you've been crushing double-blacks on your boards this season, that's freeride territory in my opinion.

If anyone is inclined to come to Canada next winter, I'll happily host a skiboard freeride gathering next season. My home hill hosts Freeride World Tour events and the terrain is killer. Get good insurance.

I posted this elsewhere, but this was the winning women's snowboarding run this year:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqvkY36Wses

I normally keep right into the chute you see at 0:50 to finish the run, but that's a good line otherwise. There's lots of bootpack-accessible in-bounds areas on the Horse that get you away from most of the casual riders but are still avalanche controlled. With avy training and gear, there's even more terrain just out of bounds that can be hit from the top of the lift.

The other good option (if there's lots of snow) is Red Mountain, about a 3 hour drive from Spokane. This is a fun run with a mandatory rock hop... more of an in-pitch rock face than a cliff. Haven't biffed it on this one yet:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll5CfvT-t4I

There's another area on Red (Chute Show) that I still can't believe is open in-bounds terrain. It is STEEP like I've never ridden before. Patrol was a little further over on it the first time I dropped in; I had to shout over and ask them if it was OK to drop... thought I might have blown past a ropeline or something.

Beat them to the bottom.
        BOARDSLAYER
        Base / Edge Destruction X X X
        Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
          As far as I'm concerned, not all skiboarding is freeriding, but freeriding doesn't exclude rocking it on skiboards (or telemark, or whatever). It's more a case of the terrain and level of difficulty, and a dash of speed doesn't hurt. Generally some gnar is involved, and some drops will clinch it. Throwing tricks off said drops is really doing it right, but beyond my powers.

@OP: Sounds like you've been crushing double-blacks on your boards this season, that's freeride territory in my opinion.

If anyone is inclined to come to Canada next winter, I'll happily host a skiboard freeride gathering next season. My home hill hosts Freeride World Tour events and the terrain is killer. Get good insurance.

I posted this elsewhere, but this was the winning women's snowboarding run this year:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqvkY36Wses

I normally keep right into the chute you see at 0:50 to finish the run, but that's a good line otherwise. There's lots of bootpack-accessible in-bounds areas on the Horse that get you away from most of the casual riders but are still avalanche controlled. With avy training and gear, there's even more terrain just out of bounds that can be hit from the top of the lift.

The other good option (if there's lots of snow) is Red Mountain, about a 3 hour drive from Spokane. This is a fun run with a mandatory rock hop... more of an in-pitch rock face than a cliff. Haven't biffed it on this one yet:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll5CfvT-t4I

There's another area on Red (Chute Show) that I still can't believe is open in-bounds terrain. It is STEEP like I've never ridden before. Patrol was a little further over on it the first time I dropped in; I had to shout over and ask them if it was OK to drop... thought I might have blown past a ropeline or something.

Beat them to the bottom.
          That resort/mountain looks great. That would be a blast of a trip. Let me do some research on pricing. I originally saw your post on the Freeride tour and how you did it on boards and that is what had me thinking about the burred lines. I have progressed a lot over the past year since getting the DLP's and a renewed confidence. My mountains doubles really aren't difficult however. They are comparable to most other mountains singles or even difficult blues. They throw a bunch of moguls on the doubles to bump them up. I would love to do some riding where you can go from groomers to trees to powder, etc...
          Skis/Skiboards:
          2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
          2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
          2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
          2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
          20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
          2012 Salomon SPK 90
          2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
          2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Cool, would love to introduce you to the big mountains! Should be pretty reasonably priced in USD; the loonie's only worth about 75 cents these days. Calgary is the best fly-in point from here, with Kelowna a reasonable option if it's cheap.
            BOARDSLAYER
            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
            X