No announcement yet.

Help a noob decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have one more question - regarding ski boots. I bought some entry level cheap standard boots when I started, but my feet hurts quite a lot and I will be looking for an upgrade. I have flat feet and navicular problems, so I need something super comfortable, even sacrificing performance. I read some topics around, but people mention specific boot models , most of them are either not produced anymore or not easily available here.

So what type of boots would you say are best for comfortable skiboarding all around the mountain , incl occasional visit to parks and occasional runs in powder? I guess I need a more standing up boot, as most of us don't lean much forward when skiboarding? Medium flex? Perhaps I should go for freeride boots, or for freestyle, as those two types are meant for more comfort? Or get all-mountain boots with medium flex and wider fit (like people say Salomon boots are)?

Comment

I think consensus is to go for a more upright stance freeride or freestyle boot.

Now also decide whethet you want a plain alpine sole or a gripwalk sole. (The Attack bindings are compatible with those).

Finally do the research online into what characteristics you want on the bit and select a couple of possible models from different manufacturers.

Go into a shop with your list and try all of them. Then get a custom insole made by the boot fitter and where appropriate have the liner heat-molded.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
      Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
      Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
      Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

OK thanks, this goes inline with my research pretty much.

Comment

Do your feet a favor and consider getting custom molded boots. The old school way was to create a real cast of your feet and make the boots from the cast, but these days they use electronic mapping tech to create a custom foot bed and liner that goes into standard shells. Not everyone needs to have custom boots, but some of my friends with odd shaped feet have them and couldn't be happier. For me personally I have always had to get my boot shells blown out in certain spots (they heat them up and change their shape) but not full custom boots - I guess my feet are more typical.

If these are out of your budget, do at least get properly fitted by a pro ski boot shop. There's far more to it than the "type" of the boot and its flex, and just quietly trying on boots at the shop won't tell you how they will feel for hours on the slopes. Some shops will also have high end demo boots you can try before you buy. Good luck!

Comment

I have to agree with the boot fitting. I just started in the sport last year and after purchasing new boots this year it got a lot easier. After replacing the boot liners of my new boots with upgraded liners, it got even more comfortable. A proper boot and it's components is the best tool that you can have.
            Skis/Skiboards:
            2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
            2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
            2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
            2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
            20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
            2012 Salomon SPK 90
            2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
            2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Yes, I have a boot fitter I am going to visit, the problem is the shop there sells only super expensive top of the line models and I am looking for something much cheaper So I will have to buy something elsewhere and bring it to the bootfitter for custom insoles, lining heat shaping etc

Comment

Originally posted by boyanr View Post
                Yes, I have a boot fitter I am going to visit, the problem is the shop there sells only super expensive top of the line models and I am looking for something much cheaper So I will have to buy something elsewhere and bring it to the bootfitter for custom insoles, lining heat shaping etc
                another option would be is to visit a shop and find a boot that fits the bill, making sure that you try it on and move around in it, and then look online for some deals on it. You may be able to find shop demo boots on ebay for much less than you would pay at the shop. There are a bunch of boots you can find online but make sure to only search for a model or two that you have tried that fit.
                Skis/Skiboards:
                2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
                2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
                2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
                2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
                20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
                2012 Salomon SPK 90
                2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
                2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

The better I ski, the more comfortable my boots seem to be....
                  Just these, nothing else !

Comment

So, after 23 days skiing this winter, my ankles and navicular bone are in so much pain that I had to put an end to the season, although there is still snow. Thus, I have decided boots are my top priority now!

I went around and tried everything they had available (not much at this time of the year). Most boots would feel similar to my current ones, meaning they would hurt the moment I step in (as I have some swelling and inflammation on those two bones as 8 said). Then I tried the Fischer Ranger 130 which is a narrow 98 mm last, but felt much more comfortable (not perfect, but noticable difference). Maybe the narrower last keeps my feet in a more correct position, I dont know. The boot is also super light which is great and discounted at 50%. The salesman said the shell is not workable, but I read on the internet that grilamide is good for bootfitting actually. The only problems are the 130 flex and the 16 degrees forward lean??? Both seem too much for skiboarding? And this is termed a freeride boot, which is strange. Anyone have experience riding these boots?

The only other boots that were comfortable were Fischer RC Pro 120. They felt quite similar to the feet, except for being heavier. I dont know the degrees of the forward lean, but they also felt not quite upright. Anyone been riding stg from the RC Pro range?

As it seems narrow last from Fischer is the best fit for my feet - anyone recommend another Fischer model that is indeed more upright. The Hybrid maybe?

Or anything else similar in narrow last? Seems that most freeride boots have a wider last. I loved how light weight the Ranger was , anything similar from other brands?

Comment

update: went around shops again today and tried plenty of different shoes. Tried the Fischer Ranger again and they are definitely way too forward lean. The Fischer RC Pro is not as much and I can get both in 120 and in 110 flex, for about 200 eur. Also tried the lower class Fischer Cruzar 100 - it's comfortable as well and even cheaper at the moment. It seems the Fischer liners are super comfy so most of their boots I tried were ok.

From Tecnica I kinda liked the Tecnica Mach1 110 MV and the Cochise 110, the first being the more comfortable of the two and almost as comfy as the Fischer. They are maybe a bit more upright than the Fischer and the Mach 1 is on the lightweight side of ski boots.

Lange and Atomic models I tried were super uncomfortable, Head , Nordica and Rossignol were so-so. Unfortunately no Salomon distribution around, as it seems a lot of you choose Salomon boots.

I am going to consult a bootfitter next week and get his advice before buying, maybe even see if I can rent some of those for next weekend, but if anyone of you has experience with any of the above I would love to hear how you liked them for skiboarding...

...salesmen here have no clue, I have to argue with them all the time, they keep trying to sell me a smaller size and racing boots

Comment

Boyanr,

This thread may aid you in finding the boot that will serve you best. https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ead.php?t=8813

Note that it is the shell of the boot and how it is shaped relative to your foot that is important to avoid hot spots.
                        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Yes I've read that one, I just wanted to ccheck if someone has used any of those on the slopes. As boot reviews are for skiing and our technique is a bit different...

Regarding the fit, as most of you seem to take a bigger size , would you aim for a 20mm gap in the shell (liner removed) or less? I know a lot of my problems probably come from a too big boots I have at the moment, and according to the measurements my feet are 292mm so I should be buying 295 shoes, but they feel super uncomfortable (and with some brands I can hardly put them on), so while 305 is a bit lengthy , I am using 305. I know the 295 liners will compress and become a bit more roomy, but with an upright stance it feels like my toes will keep smashing in front

Comment

Originally posted by boyanr View Post
                            Yes I've read that one, I just wanted to ccheck if someone has used any of those on the slopes. As boot reviews are for skiing and our technique is a bit different...

Regarding the fit, as most of you seem to take a bigger size , would you aim for a 20mm gap in the shell (liner removed) or less? I know a lot of my problems probably come from a too big boots I have at the moment, and according to the measurements my feet are 292mm so I should be buying 295 shoes, but they feel super uncomfortable (and with some brands I can hardly put them on), so while 305 is a bit lengthy , I am using 305. I know the 295 liners will compress and become a bit more roomy, but with an upright stance it feels like my toes will keep smashing in front
                            My feet differ in length. The longer has a ~10 mm gap in the shell and the shorter ~15 mm. I did not want any larger.
                            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

After consulting the bootfitter I will be using, he said I should definitely get one size smaller, which narrowed down the choice to just the Tecnicas - Mach 1 and Cochise. They both felt veeery similar and it was a difficult decision, but I went with the Cochise mainly because it's a little bit lighter and last was 1mm narrower.

I am taking it to the bootfitter soon to get custom insoles and fitting. I might just be able to ski in them once this season, as it seems the season will run until about the 10th of april

Comment

Cochise is a crossover boot, so walking should be easier too.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
                                Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                                Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                                Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
                                X