Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beware Alta says they allow only hard plastic boots !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beware Alta says they allow only hard plastic boots !

Alta is a skiing only resort and prohibits snowboards. There has generally been no problems with skiboards. This last Westfest Crazyboy-1 was hasseled and pulled out of the lift line and required to talk to the ski area manager . Apparently they thought he might have soft snowboard boots ( he didn't ) he had a fabric boot glove covering over his hard plastic alpine snowboard boots, apparently the liftie was also confused because of his unusual binding step which was a bomber step in alpine snowboard binding set up. None of the other of us on skiboards , some with also fabric boot gloves , and with either step in bindings or non release standard skiboard bindings ( ie receptors , zeros) were hasseled. He was told that the ski area besides having a policy prohibiting snowboards also requires hard plastic boots! Crazyboy-1 was allowed to ride after proving he did have hard plastic boots , attached to a ski like metal edge device with a proper binding . Just a heads up to those using softboot type bindings and snowboard boots with their skiboards that they may get hasseled at Alta. It kind of depends on the liftie because Bad Wolf says he has used a soft boot set up before at Alta and was not hasseled.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

I always figured the ban on snowboarding was primarily for logistics, which skiboarding even a soft boot binding wouldn’t disrupt. Seems like they have a general axe to grind against the “other”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

damn the man

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
      2019 BluntXLs
      540 Team Stark bindings with RVL8 softboot upgrade

Comment

Alta must be doing okay (financially) if they can do this. Most resorts in my area credit snowboarding for saving the mountains in the late 80s/90s. Many of them had snowboarder-only parks back then and, if not for skiboards leading to twin tip skis, would like still have dedicated parks to draw in snowboarders. A few of the resorts nearby will work to open one park run early and keep that one run open late in the season because they know snowboarders are happy to plunk down $25 for a half day of hiking up hill and sliding down a white strip with a few features.

Looking at Alta's policy I would see where they could argue that softboots are disqualifying:

"Alta Ski Area is for skiers and restricts equipment other than skis (which means skis that have metal edges, retaining devices and are attached to ski boots by bindings) for anyone who wants to ride the lifts and ski the mountain or play around the base areas."

I am a bit surprised that they took issue with the boot gloves. Out East the DryGuy Boot Gloves are almost required gear for the diehard aging cranky "snowboarders should be banned" crowd. When you see an old guy on 235cm straight skis you know he'll have boot covers on.

I wonder what would happen if you showed at Alta on in a pair of Sled Dogs Snow Skates. They, like skiboards, technically meet their definition of skier's equipment (hard boots and metal edge skis connected to the boots with a binding)
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
          It kind of depends on the liftie because Bad Wolf says he has used a soft boot set up before at Alta and was not hasseled.
          I did spend a day at Alta in my soft boot set up, but it was several seasons ago. No one challenged me over them, but to be fair, no one may have noticed. So, back then, I don't really know if I was breaking the rules or not.

There have been several attempts to sue Alta for discrimination over the years, but Alta has always prevailed because it is the equipment they ban, and not the person. Specifically then ban snowboards and not snowboarders. I do believe that they used to only enforce the ban on their lifts, and not on the trails. That meant that you could enter Alta form Snowbird, ride down, then catch the shuttle back to Snowbird. It looks like their new verbiage may disallow this?

Here I am, snowboard boots on the rail at the Goldmine's Daughter, looking up at the Collins lift. Maybe the only person to spend the day skiing at Alta in his Snowboard boots and Bindings?

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Yeah, that was not my favorite memory of Westfest. I think not only did the boot gloves throw her off, but I did not have my pants covering my BTS spring system, which definitely looks out of place.

I should add that my boot gloves were not as easily recognizable because I had previously secured the sides down with tape, to keep snow from pushing up underneath. The branding was not visible, as it was on others' boots in the group.
            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post

I wonder what would happen if you showed at Alta on in a pair of Sled Dogs Snow Skates. They, like skiboards, technically meet their definition of skier's equipment (hard boots and metal edge skis connected to the boots with a binding)
              But Sled Dogs don't have bindings, and I don't think they have metal edges. It's really just a pair of skiboots with smooth bottoms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                But Sled Dogs don't have bindings, and I don't think they have metal edges. It's really just a pair of skiboots with smooth bottoms

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                Sled dogs do have metal edges. I got a pair and they are a blast... on flatter ground lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post

I do believe that they used to only enforce the ban on their lifts, and not on the trails. That meant that you could enter Alta form Snowbird, ride down, then catch the shuttle back to Snowbird. ]
                  That was never the case. They watched for snowboards and wouldn't let you through the gate. During the lawsuits they did say they only restricted the use of their lifts. It looks as thought they doubled down after they won.

Also, if you're wondering who would have money to sue a ski resort multiple times mainly for the kicks of it it was the owner of Skull Candy

Maybe the only person to spend the day skiing at Alta in his Snowboard boots and Bindings?
                  nope, I was lucky enough to do the same. It was a couple years ago. It's an honor we can share
                  Boards: 15 Blunt XL / 13 Slapdash
                  Bindings: Bomber 2 Elite / Zero Pro
                  Boots: Atomic Hawx 2.0 100

Comment

Originally posted by kyu View Post
                    That was never the case. They watched for snowboards and wouldn't let you through the gate. During the lawsuits they did say they only restricted the use of their lifts. It looks as thought they doubled down after they won.

Also, if you're wondering who would have money to sue a ski resort multiple times mainly for the kicks of it it was the owner of Skull Candy

nope, I was lucky enough to do the same. It was a couple years ago. It's an honor we can share
                    An honor I am glad to share[emoji3]
                    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by krillinakw View Post
                      Sled dogs do have metal edges. I got a pair and they are a blast... on flatter ground lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                      I had an original pair from when they first came out and the bottoms of those were basically little skis. They had metal edges and you could remove them by releasing a clip (which one could argue is just a non-release binding). Sadly I no longer had these. I traded them to my college roommate for a keg tap, I still have the tap.

I’m not sure if the new ones have a removable base but it would be fun to try them and mess with the resort. Their equipment definition is purposely broad enough to fit every type of ski but narrow enough to rule out snowboards.
                      Boards:
                      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

The same lady that pulled Tim out of line asked me if we were having a short ski convention. I told her yes

Clearly our gear turns heads!

Comment

Working...
                        X