Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some tips - Blunt XL or Condor Rockered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some tips - Blunt XL or Condor Rockered?

Hi friends!

I had a quick question though maybe you can help me with as you are a riders too! I am absolutely torn on my decision between the Blunt XL and the Condor Rockered. I currently own a 99cm full camber carbon pro from Summit and find it great for the groomed runs on the east coast here. However im going to be taking a trip out west soon to tackle some serious powder, including cat skiing and I know that this 99cm pure camber wont be the ideal skiboard for it. As we know rockered is key for the powders, and I decided to go full proper rocker to compliment pure camber skiboards because as great as the hybrid camber rockers sound for "all mountain" they simply wont compete properly with a proper pure camber or pure rocker.. Id rather go one way or the other depending on needs. for now.. Having said that..

-Im leaning torwards the Blunt XL because of that youtube video on its sales page showing it can clearly tackle some damn deep powder. The forum reviews also showcase it to be a very good board for groomers and fun too.. it seems to be a fabulous all around board..

-The condor rockered , clearly slightly superior for powder due to its size - but strikes me as a one trick pony if im correct? Is the difference on powder between this and the blunt XL THAT noticable? I almost pulled the trigger on this but it just seems so one dimensional and that groomers wouldnt be fun on this guy...

whilest the bulnt xl has more versatility and seems to go neck and neck with the condor rocker to some extent (powder wise)?

Honestly if the Blunt XLS would handle cat skiing out west fine id much rather pounce on them as im a smaller 5 foot 6 120 lb dude and i prefer the smaller boards !

Any additional advice would be greatly appreciated

Keep in mind my background is / was an aggressive rollerblader in the 90s (grinding rails and such) and my current primary purpose in skiing is fun on groomers and glade in the east coast, some park stuff (getting more) and to tackle my dream of riding insane powder out west.

I would greatly appreciate any tips !!

Thank you for your time
    Skiboards :

Rvl8 Blunt XL & STicky Ickys 2019's with Spruce Riser Pro Prime Plus

Summit Carbon 99 CM with Atom FFG 12 Bindings

Boots:

Alpina X-Track 70

While I haven't ridden the RCs, I did ride the Blunts and have the XLs and Raptors. Given your size, history with rollerblading and experience on Summit 99s, I don't think you need to go larger than XLs unless you have a very specific reason to. Sure, the RCs might float better, but you are unlikely to need that float, and you may give up some maneuverability. That added length, width and weight of the RCs will feel even more pronounced on groomers - it's not that RCs are a one trick pony for everybody but it could become one for you if you always leave them behind when riding on east coast ice pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Fun Machine View Post
      While I haven't ridden the RCs, I did ride the Blunts and have the XLs and Raptors. Given your size, history with rollerblading and experience on Summit 99s, I don't think you need to go larger than XLs unless you have a very specific reason to. Sure, the RCs might float better, but you are unlikely to need that float, and you may give up some maneuverability. That added length, width and weight of the RCs will feel even more pronounced on groomers - it's not that RCs are a one trick pony for everybody but it could become one for you if you always leave them behind when riding on east coast ice pack.

Thanks for your response friend.. I was feeling the same way but for some reason hesitated due to their size.. I just want to go prepared i suppose in that sense as im really keen on cat skiing some nice fat powder runs..

So in your opinion the XL is sufficient for that level of powder out west yea? might take a bit more skill than the RC but totally doable ?

Tough decision for me and i appreciate your help!
      Skiboards :

Boots:

Alpina X-Track 70

Comment

Looking for some tips - Blunt XL or Condor Rockered?

A group of us go the Utah every year to ski the powder and the number one choice of skiboard is the Blunt XL. It seems to give the best combination of float, speed, maneuverability and versatility of all the boards. If you a search for “Westfest” you will find a dozen or so videos of folks on XLs.[emoji106]
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by whaleform View Post
          So in your opinion the XL is sufficient for that level of powder out west yea? might take a bit more skill than the RC but totally doable ?
          In my opinion, yes. And I am about your height but heavier than you. I take my XLs out west every time I go and never ran into a situation where it wasn't sufficient - usually great. There are many riders here who live out west and take their XLs out in back country all the time. You should look at some of those videos. But don't just take my word for it. I'm sure others will chime in.

Comment

Tough decision for me and i appreciate your help!
            It's hard to say, everyone's a little different, but the whole cat-skiing thing sounds a little intimidating, at least to me. Personally, I'd have to reach for the RC's. The XL's are great, but in the softest, deepest and most difficult conditions the RC's are a magic ticket that make the hard seem easy. They answer the question "how am I going to make a turn in snow this deep and soft?" with "easily". The trade-off is front-rear stability, they do not have very much and demand good balance. Ultra-maneuverable to a fault, some get along fine with RC's in any conditions but they can be an acquired taste.

Skaters (ice or roller) who are used to almost zero front/back support seem to get along better with the RC's than folks who don't come from a skating background. Having said all this, the XL's are fine boards too and---especially at your weight---I'm not sure there's a bad choice here.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
              A group of us go the Utah every year to ski the powder and the number one choice of skiboard is the Blunt XL. It seems to give the best combination of float, speed, maneuverability and versatility of all the boards. If you a search for “Westfest” you will find a dozen or so videos of folks on XLs.[emoji106]

aah good to know ! im a tiny guy too so il lprobably go xl!
              Skiboards :

Boots:

Alpina X-Track 70

Comment

thanks all for chiming in. I think ill go Blunt XL for now , and rely on stronger legs and more balance to help me power through! I appreciate your advice and recommendations and look forward to getting to know this lovely community!
                Skiboards :

Boots:

Alpina X-Track 70

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                  The trade-off is front-rear stability, they do not have very much and demand good balance. Ultra-maneuverable to a fault, some get along fine with RC's in any conditions but they can be an acquired taste.
                  Are you saying that RCs demand better fore/aft balance from the rider compared to XLs? If so, that would be a surprise to me. I would have expected the opposite given the RCs longer length and running length. Perhaps the RCs are much softer than XLs?

Comment

Are you saying that RCs demand better fore/aft balance from the rider compared to XLs? If so, that would be a surprise to me. I would have expected the opposite given the RCs longer length and running length. Perhaps the RCs are much softer than XLs?
                    yea that confused me too as a bigger board would require less balance but from the videos it does look pretty soft!

On a side note ive only ever been on camber im very excited to go for this rocker and am glad i didnt go for the in between hybrid design.. this is probably the best way to truly taste both worlds .

*drool*
                    Skiboards :

Boots:

Alpina X-Track 70

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post

I see you use release ski bindings as well ! i thought i was the only one hehe!!
                      Skiboards :

Boots:

Alpina X-Track 70

Comment

I see you use release ski bindings as well ! i thought i was the only one hehe!!
                        I do. I very rarely resort to using n/r bindings nowdays. I have always used release bindings on my RCs when they were in use.
                        Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                        Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                        Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                          I do. I very rarely resort to using n/r bindings nowdays. I have always used release bindings on my RCs when they were in use.
                          yea i feel alot safer and i come from a ski background so its what im used to anyway
                          Skiboards :

Boots:

Alpina X-Track 70

Comment

Yes, exactly. RC's are definitely softer than XL's and -despite the additional length- have significantly less support fore and aft. In return, they're super nimble like a 90 but with the float of a big powder ski. They're a unique ride, IMO, off in their own category and unlike anything else.

If you guys ever get a chance to ride with someone like Macrophotog, CAN or Greco who have really mastered the RC's, it's something to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              Yes, exactly. RC's are definitely softer than XL's and -despite the additional length- have significantly less support fore and aft. In return, they're super nimble like a 90 but with the float of a big powder ski. They're a unique ride, IMO, off in their own category and unlike anything else.

If you guys ever get a chance to ride with someone like Macrophotog, CAN or Greco who have really mastered the RC's, it's something to see.

very cool.. I think this is is my first rockered pair and im a tinier dude tackling west coast powders for the first time ill go with the Blunt XL to start and then work my way to the big one one day if i do A lot more powder trips out west !

the way i see it i can at least use the blunt xl out east , and its still rated 10/10 for powder just like the condor , albeit its edge due to size
                              Skiboards :

Boots:

Alpina X-Track 70

Comment

Working...
                              X