Ski boot questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ski boot questions

I just got my first set of skiboards w/ releasable bindings (thanks Jeff Singer!!) and am now trying to find a pair of boots. I've done a lot of reading and have gone to the closest boot fitter, and I'm just left with more confusion. Between me being new at skiboarding, and the bootfitter knowing very little about them, it was tough talking to him about the different boots I tried. So if anyone could help with some of these questions I'd really appreciate it.

Forward lean - Bootfitter said I really should have some forward lean in the boots to get good bent knees for carving, but online here I'm sure I've read you want to be as upright as possible. I don't think they make boots that are straight up do they, so what is a good forward lean angle to shoot for? All the boots I tried on felt like I was falling forward, standing on the balls of my feet, and had minor calf/quad burn just standing there after a few minutes. Is that normal or a sign of too much lean? I wish manufactures would list the lean angle...that's so hard to track down.

Walk mode - some boots like the Dalbellos I tried on and the Salomons my wife tried, have a walk mode. Would it be wrong to use this all the time to achieve a more upright stance? I'm assuming it would be a problem....

Size - bootfitter said my toes should just slightly touch the front of the boots when they are brand new. He said when I bend my knees my heels will come back and my toes won't touch. Sure enough, in the size he had me in, 27.5, that was correct. I think I've read here that on skiboards you don't want your toes to touch because you're going to be standing more upright. So how do I stand upright, if the boots force me forward? Seems I'll be fighting the boots the whole time I'm on the skiboards and just wearing myself out. This kinda goes hand in hand with the forward lean question above. Not sure what to do. Size up and fight the lean or size correct and give into the lean?

Flex - when it comes to flex, I've read a lot of people here really like the Full Tilts because how flexible they are. But reading other places makes it sound like a 60 or 70 flex is a beginner level boot. My bootfitter was putting me in 90 flex boots. I'm new to skiboards, but have been snowboarding for 15 years so I don't really want a boot I'm going to 'out grow' once I get through the learning curve. That said, what's the general consensus on what's "too stiff" for skiboarding? Or is this a personal preference question?

Comfort - seems everyone agrees comfort is most important. Every boot I tried on felt like the pivot point of the boot was digging into my inside ankle bone. The bootfitter couldn't seem to adjust them or find a pair that didn't have this issue, so I left a little discouraged. He said it was probably from my overpronation...I'm thinking the pivot bolt just needs extra padding.
    Anyone else have this problem and have any tips?

The boots I tried on were Dalbello and Nordica. My wife was able to try on Salomon QST Access and said they were really comfortable. I'm going to try to get to another place that has Salomon and Atomic in my size to try out. Its a couple hour drive to get to a Full Tilt dealer, so not sure I'll be able to try them on. If anyone has brand recommendation I'm all ears. I can't find much on the Salomon QST Access boots, but if there's anything positive or negative about them I'd love to hear it as well.

Sorry for all the questions.....

I guess the big disclaimer up front is that boots are a very personal thing... so this is just my opinion.

Comfort is #1 in my books. Performance ski boots are always going to be torture devices compared to snowboard boots, but you should aim for something that's pain-free in the shop. Different boot manufacturers tend to work better or worse for a given pair of feet, so you have to try everything you can get your hands on until you find something that feels good in the shop. Wear them around the shop, walk around, keep them on for at least 20 minutes once you find a pair that seems pretty good.

When I bought my latest pair of boots, they were quite comfortable in the shop. I took them out for short periods of time (2 hrs or so) for the first 5 days I used them, and they hurt pretty bad overall (no major single issues). I put those 5 or so days on them before I got them heat molded, which improved things a bit and made it possible to use them for longer periods. It still took halfway into the next season to get them really packed out and feeling good, and I'm still glad to get them off at the end of the day. And that's a good-fitting pair of boots.

In my opinion, any pain in the shop is just going to be amplified on the hill, so avoid anything that hurts to start with. That sort of pivot pain is fairly common, I think, but it's not a good thing (I tried on those brands and felt the same thing). I've had bootfitters claim they can punch out anything to make a boot comfortable, but why go in asking for trouble? Run, and find a brand that fits.

AFAIK, walk mode is not meant for skiing. Never had it myself, though.

It might be just me, but I strongly disagree that one needs to skiboard with an overly upright stance. My stance is less upright than most skiers, most of the time. Bit of a discussion about it in this thread:
    https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=16963

I don't think you need to take this too much into account when buying boots, or try to fit your boot differently than a skier would. At the very least, you need to be able to bend your knees normally to soak up bumps. When trying them out, bend your knees a bit and go with the angle of the boot. You should be able to keep your torso upright no matter how much your legs are bending. Quad burn might happen just standing in ski boots, but that's just means you need to hit the slopes more.

So size right and give into the lean, I say. It's easier to clean up your technique a bit than fight your boots.

Flex.... depends on performance level a bit. My take on it is that skiboards are shorter and therefore have less leverage than a full-length ski, so you can go with a little less stiffness. I use Salomon Xmax 120s; I almost bought 130s instead, but decided to scale back to the 120s for that reason. I'm an advanced rider that spends most of my time in steep chutes, moguls, small cliff drops and relatively high speeds, so I'm willing to give up a little comfort for stiffness and control. 90 doesn't sound too far out of the ballpark for intermediate use, but it does vary a little bit brand to brand.

It's not always going to be possible to find the right brands/boots, but if you are able to rent some boots at the mountain and actually try them out, that might really help to figure out the level of stiffness you like. The ski shop at the hill might even have some sort of a try-to-buy program where the rental gets discounted off a purchase if you decide to buy something. It's worth asking, if nothing else.
    BOARDSLAYER
    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Generally speaking, most recreational skiboarders do best with a more upright, medium flexing boot that had a relaxed fit. If your toes are touching the box in the shop, and you skiboard with an upright stance, you are going to loose your toe nails. Most intermediate ski boots fit this description nicely. I have the Atomic Wayfarer in a 90 flex, ONE SIZE LARGER than a ski shop would recommend.
      As mentioned before, boots are very personal, so this is really just the formula that worked for me.
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Certain boots have an adjustable lean feature and/or a "walk mode". Fans of an upright stance simply ski in these while in "walk mode". Full tilt boots have a little shim in the upper heel that you can take out and throw away to get a more upright stance. In addition, the way they're constructed you can hack and grind on them to go even more upright. Maybe there's a point where they're too upright, but I haven't found it.

Adjustable cant is another feature to look for. I always max out this adjustment to direct more pressure on the inside edges, which makes it easier for someone of modest skills to maintain a narrow stance.

Bad Wolf is right, skiboarders lean ("lean"!) towards an upright boot---but there are many exceptions. The only universal truth is that comfort trumps everything. If you have a consistent rub or hot spot in a certain area, the solution is probably more room in that area, either modifying or "punching out" a given boot, a custom molded liner, or a different boot entirely. More padding in that spot would likely make the problem worse.

Steeps' idea of renting first might be smart. If nothing else, you might get a better feel for how these different variables relate to your needs.

Comment

Here is my take on boots. Comfort is King. Different people and different feet make for very different advice but all want comfort.

I don't know your experience level with ski boots but see that you have a ton of snowboard experience. I will say that renting a pair of the run of the mill ski shop rear entry boots is a great place to start. My local shop rents Nordica Gran Tour boots which are basic beginner boots. My better half has used them a couple times and for a not very experienced skiboarder she thinks they are perfect. If you are new to skiboarding and skiing these will give you an idea of where to go. Rear entry boots are known for comfort and for how easy they are to get on and off. They usually run wider and the arch isn't over the top. Something to consider is that they are, rightly or wrongly, not considered performance boots which makes them perfect for starting out. The flex is fairly soft and they have a more upright stance. Leaning forward on skiboards isn't necessary for the most part.

Rear entry boots are a common rental boot because of how easy and comfortable they can be. Check these out:

https://www.levelninesports.com/alpi...ntry-ski-boots

I'm still using an old pair of Kneissl Rail boots from around 2003. They are by no means a stiff boot and have an upright stance. I keep to the groomed slopes and have never felt the need for anything else.

If you are an experienced skier then the above advice probably doesn't help.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnieBlaze View Post
            I just got my first set of skiboards w/ releasable bindings (thanks Jeff Singer!!) and am now trying to find a pair of boots. I've done a lot of reading and have gone to the closest boot fitter, and I'm just left with more confusion. Between me being new at skiboarding, and the bootfitter knowing very little about them, it was tough talking to him about the different boots I tried. So if anyone could help with some of these questions I'd really appreciate it.

Forward lean - Bootfitter said I really should have some forward lean in the boots to get good bent knees for carving, but online here I'm sure I've read you want to be as upright as possible. I don't think they make boots that are straight up do they, so what is a good forward lean angle to shoot for? All the boots I tried on felt like I was falling forward, standing on the balls of my feet, and had minor calf/quad burn just standing there after a few minutes. Is that normal or a sign of too much lean? I wish manufactures would list the lean angle...that's so hard to track down.

Walk mode - some boots like the Dalbellos I tried on and the Salomons my wife tried, have a walk mode. Would it be wrong to use this all the time to achieve a more upright stance? I'm assuming it would be a problem....

Size - bootfitter said my toes should just slightly touch the front of the boots when they are brand new. He said when I bend my knees my heels will come back and my toes won't touch. Sure enough, in the size he had me in, 27.5, that was correct. I think I've read here that on skiboards you don't want your toes to touch because you're going to be standing more upright. So how do I stand upright, if the boots force me forward? Seems I'll be fighting the boots the whole time I'm on the skiboards and just wearing myself out. This kinda goes hand in hand with the forward lean question above. Not sure what to do. Size up and fight the lean or size correct and give into the lean?

Flex - when it comes to flex, I've read a lot of people here really like the Full Tilts because how flexible they are. But reading other places makes it sound like a 60 or 70 flex is a beginner level boot. My bootfitter was putting me in 90 flex boots. I'm new to skiboards, but have been snowboarding for 15 years so I don't really want a boot I'm going to 'out grow' once I get through the learning curve. That said, what's the general consensus on what's "too stiff" for skiboarding? Or is this a personal preference question?

Comfort - seems everyone agrees comfort is most important. Every boot I tried on felt like the pivot point of the boot was digging into my inside ankle bone. The bootfitter couldn't seem to adjust them or find a pair that didn't have this issue, so I left a little discouraged. He said it was probably from my overpronation...I'm thinking the pivot bolt just needs extra padding.
            Anyone else have this problem and have any tips?

The boots I tried on were Dalbello and Nordica. My wife was able to try on Salomon QST Access and said they were really comfortable. I'm going to try to get to another place that has Salomon and Atomic in my size to try out. Its a couple hour drive to get to a Full Tilt dealer, so not sure I'll be able to try them on. If anyone has brand recommendation I'm all ears. I can't find much on the Salomon QST Access boots, but if there's anything positive or negative about them I'd love to hear it as well.

Sorry for all the questions.....
            I suggest to get Beginner boots. Don't worry, You wont outgrow these. Skiboarding is less demanding with performance since, it's lighter and smaller than full skis. But really though, when it comes to picking boots for skiboarding, Comfort should be your Number 1 Priority. everything else are just fluff.

Comment

My two cents ....

I agree with most of the comments above but here are my specific thoughts:

Forward lean - Most riders prefer a more upright boot. This doesn't mean the boot is straight up and down. You'll want the boots to be comfortable with a slightly bent knee but not an aggressive forward lean that many race and high performance boots have

Walk mode - This is a personal preference but if your boot is comfortable while skiing it is usually comfortable enough to walk in. Walk mode features usually add more parts and therefore more weight to the boots so I tend to avoid walk mode gimmicks. If you do decide to get a boot with walk mode make sure it is the type that automatically switches back to ski mode when you clip into the bindings. If you have to manually switch back and forth you will inevitably forget and ride in walk mode.

Size - They should be comfortable standing in the shop and fit snug without pinch points in all directions. Boots that are too wide or too narrow are just as bad as boots that are too short. Too wide and your foot will slide around. Too narrow and you lose circulation and have cold feet. Boots will "pack out" and become a bit bigger but they should not be uncomfortable on day one with a hope they'll get better .... they usually don't or you can't put up with them long enough to break them in.

Flex - The is a personal preference for all riders. I prefer a stiff boot that more closely feels like my hockey skates but skiboarding does not require stiff boots and may riders use soft flex "beginner" boots. Stiffer will transfer your input faster to your boards. Softer are generally more comfortable.

Brand - The brands you mention are all solid. In my family of four I think we have owned each of the at one time or another.

Other tips - As others have said Comfort is King. If you don't like them in the shop they likely wont get better on the hill. Check that your bootfitter provides some support if your boots are not right after you purchase them. Can they be returned? Will they provide free modifications to smooth out hot spots after you bought them? My local shop provides 1-year of "tuning" of skiboots bought in their shop. This was critical for my wife who has scars from foot surgery. The fitter tweaked the boots 2-3 times after she used them to make sure they were 100% dialed in.
              Boards:
              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Just a quick tip on boots with “walk mode”. On some boots the mechanism that engages the walk mode is a “button” located just above the heel piece. As you clip into the binding the button gets pushed in and engages the ski mode for the boots. It is next to impossible to clip into non release bindings with this type of mechanism as you can’t get the rear bale to secure against the heel piece. I think boots like the Head Cube are like this. So if you need walk mode, go for the style with the lever on the cuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JonnieBlaze View Post

I own a pair of K2 Pinnacle cross-over boots. They have more than a walk mode lever - they are also designed to be able to be used in AT bindings for an occasional backkcountry trip. This means that if the top buckle is unclipped and the walk mode level is engaged it is pretty walkable. I have walked from my apartment up the hill to the gondola 600m away in more than one occasion. The Pinnacles and the female version, the Minarets, are heavy though.

However in the off-season I sepnt quite some time researching freeride boots for both men and ladies, looking for boots that are compatible in both Alpine and Alpine Touring bindingsm, which can be walked in and have decent downhill performance. I am glad to report that the boot technology have improved for freeriding. Here are some boots that might be of intereste to you as the will give a great skiboarding experience, yet still can be comfortable and dual purpose:

• Scarpa Freedom
                  • Technica Cochise 85/95/105
                  • Nordica Pro 85/95
                  • Nordica Strider 115
                  • Lange XT Free (lots of varying flex models)
                  • Dalbello Lup Ax 110
                  • Dalbello Chakra
                  • K2 Pinnacle / Minaret

The model names might differ in the US to those in Europe or dependent whether it is a male/female version

PS: I prefer a more upright boot for skiboarding I don't think a forward lean of more then 15º is required.

PPS: Botos are a personal thing.
                  Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                  Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                  Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Thanks everyone for the tips and suggestions. They helped a lot. It gave me a much better understanding of what to look for when going to the shop to try on boots. At first I thought I needed to look for some mythical super flexy, straight up boot, that probably doesn't even exist. With a better understanding I've gone back and tried on a lot more boots at a couple different stores. After trying 8 or 9 different brands/models, I've found the Salomon x Pros seem to fit me the best - they are one of the few that don't give a really sharp pressure point on my inside ankle bones. However, I'm still concerned about the length and how to choose.

One place sized me in a 27.5. In that size my toes touched the front of the boots, but pulled back when I flexed into the boots so I could no longer feel the front.

Another place sized me in 28.5 In that size, maybe my sock could just barely brush the front of the boot. I had to really stretch my foot to get a solid touch of the front. Obviously flexing into the boot my toes were no where near the front.

With those two descriptions in mind, which length sounds proper? From some comments above, I'm leaning toward the 28.5 so I don't have problems with my toe nails. But 2 of the 3 bootfitters put me in 27.5 boots, while only one guy thought I needed 28.5. My true foot length is 275 (on my right foot, left is a little shorter).

Comment

This may help you make your decision:
                      https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ead.php?t=8813
                      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

If it were me, I would go with the larger size. You don’t need or want your toes touching the toe box as it forces you into a forward stance. skiboards work best with a more centered stance. Foot beds can help take up space if they are a little too large.

Boot fitters fit skiers into ski boots, you are not a skier. Their advice is well intentioned, but not relevant to skiboarders.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                          If it were me, I would go with the larger size. You don’t need or want your toes touching the toe box as it forces you into a forward stance. skiboards work best with a more centered stance. Foot beds can help take up space if they are a little too large.

Boot fitters fit skiers into ski boots, you are not a skier. Their advice is well intentioned, but not relevant to skiboarders.
                          + 1 for this

Also consider that you are not always skiing in your ski boots. There is a lot of walking, standing around, (in my case) waiting at the bar. If your toes are banging against the front of the boots in those situations you are not going to be happy in the long run so go with the bigger boots.

However if your toes are just barely touching ask your bootfitter if they can pop out the shell a bit. This goes for any hotspots you may have elsewhere (ankles usually). A good bootfitter will not only find you the best boot off the shelf but also be able to make modifications (within reason) to the boot. This includes spot heating an pushing out the shell, changing the foot beds, and adding shims so you foot seats correctly.

For my boots the bootfitter pushed out the shell on my left foot to make room for a bump I have from an old injury. For my wife her bootfitter pushed out the shell on both sides of the toe box to accommodate scars from corrective foot surgery. When done correctly your boots should be reasonably comfortable. They won't feel like house slippers but you shouldn't want to do more than loosen the buckles at your midday lunch break.
                          Boards:
                          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I hit a boot jackpot tonight. I’m loving my Salomon XPro 80s. When I was getting fit for them, thebfitter explained that the boot is not the expense when purchasing boots, that the liner is. Earlier today I was looking on eBay for, well nothing, but came across Salomon XMax 120 liners for sale (same boot profile as the XPros, last in Xpro is 100, xmax is 98-104). The XMax liners are 80% moldable foam as opposed to the XPro 20%. I was able to grab them at a dirt cheap price. These are the most comfortable boots I’ve ever worn. Cant wait to make them even better with an upgraded boot liner.
                            Skis/Skiboards:
                            2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
                            2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
                            2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
                            2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
                            20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
                            2012 Salomon SPK 90
                            2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
                            2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post
                              I hit a boot jackpot tonight. I’m loving my Salomon XPro 80s. When I was getting fit for them, thebfitter explained that the boot is not the expense when purchasing boots, that the liner is. Earlier today I was looking on eBay for, well nothing, but came across Salomon XMax 120 liners for sale (same boot profile as the XPros, last in Xpro is 100, xmax is 98-104). The XMax liners are 80% moldable foam as opposed to the XPro 20%. I was able to grab them at a dirt cheap price. These are the most comfortable boots I’ve ever worn. Cant wait to make them even better with an upgraded boot liner.
                              Nice scoop! That's my ride... they still feel like ski boots, but they're rock solid.
                              BOARDSLAYER
                              Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                              X