Blunt Xl set back question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blunt Xl set back question

Hi everyone, setting up my gear for the season. I am pretty much set up with my hard boot set up as being Spruce Crossbows set back on the rear inserts. I am setting up my soft boot set up also as I really miss riding in my soft boots. For me after trying all kinds of boards , I liked the Rockered Condor center mount , and the Blunt Xl center mount as the best pairing with my soft boot set up . I would however like to just carry one board and I think the Blunt xl is the best all arounder. I have never really ridden my Blunt Xl in the rear inserts much . How do folks who have tried riding in the rear inserts find carving ? How about improved pow performance , especially for heavier ,bigger guys like me ,200 lb or so . ? Although I found the Blunt Xl center mount great in all most all conditions. In the deepest pow the RC was better , does setting the Blunt Xl to rear inserts give near RC performance in pow ? I guess I will just have to try it to find out , but was wondering what others have found out .
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

If you remember back to the first year that the XLs came out, we went to Boreal to test them. You rode them set back and learned that they slide out more. There's a video and discussion of that somewhere on the forum, probably in "Gear Reviews". I also think it has been determined that the XLs mounted in the rear inserts doesn't provide enough tail support in powder.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Here's the post I was talking about from when we went to Boreal.

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ghlight=Boreal
      Boards/Bindings:
      2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
      2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
      2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
      Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
      Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Thanks Sempai! I was surprised last season at Alta ,however, that a number of folks had set their Blunt Xl back for powder and doing well that way . I think Chad and Cindy were riding that way and maybe Shawn as well , maybe they can comment on their experience . They also seemed to say it didnt matter that much carving from the rear . I do remember that I didnt like them that way on firm snow but I must say after that initial try out . I never did set them back in pow or in firm snow to try them out further . On the crossbows , I also liked them way better initially center mount on firm snow but now mostly ride them rear , just for the versatility of how they perform in soft snow and have gotten use to them sliding more that way in firm snow . .
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

I did like XL's better rear-mounted, in pretty much all conditions (Thanks, Chad and Cindy). I haven't verified, but tail support is probably about what you get from Blunts. Also, I'm really liking Ospreys rear-mounted, too.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
          171cm/190lbs
          Current Favorites:
          RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
          Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
          Other boards I'm trying:
          Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Rear set not so much for me Jjue. I find they had a tendency to slide out from the trail that way on firm. Little unpredictable maybe?

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
            Crossbow (go to dream board)
            Most everything else over time.
            Go Android

Comment

Funny how revisiting an old board in a new way can change your mind . Today I was up at Heavenly for opening day , on man made snow with enough steepness to drive the boards a bit , and getting icier as the day went on , so really could test edge control .. I was using my soft boot set up , on Blunt xl , first center mount , and then rear mount . The center mount was edgier and drove. well from a centered position . Rear mounted was great as long as I leaned forward into the turn , same way as I do with the Spruce Crossbows when I ride them from the rear position. I was actually really enjoying carving better from the rear position , had good edge control even with soft boot set up and no unwanted slipping of the rear as long as I leaned forward into the turn like when I ride the rear mounted crossbow . I kind of call this a skier stance leaning on to the shins of the boots rather then the more centered skiboard stance . I was really surprised how much fun I had , with the comfy soft boot set up and it was really fun getting on a shorter board again .
              I like the extra board in front of me when I rear set the Blunt xl , Almost the same real estate in front of me as the Rockered Condor center mount and way better edge control in icy snow then the RC even if I set the Blunt xl back . If I get better pow performance with a rear set Blunt xl then I will pretty much have found my one board soft boot set up !
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                Thanks Sempai! I was surprised last season at Alta ,however, that a number of folks had set their Blunt Xl back for powder and doing well that way . I think Chad and Cindy were riding that way and maybe Shawn as well , maybe they can comment on their experience .
                I was riding my XLs center mount that day and did not have any issues in the deep powder. I've actually never ridden he XLs set back.

Comment

Jack, as you know I really like the BXL ridden with a nonrelease softboot set up. But on our chunky glaze ice here at home I don't like them at all when set back, they get unstable and weird. Maybe leaning forward as you suggest is the answer but it's easier for me to simply ride them center.

Comment

I did some surface area calculations on the Spruce Crossbow and the Blunt Xl. They come out almost exactly the same !
                    Last season in deep pow at Alta Tom B and I were riding the Spruce Crossbow and others were on Blunt XLs , seems like we all were doing equally well . I do agree that personally I have found the Blunt xl does great in pow center mounted and that is how I have always ridden them , I am intrigued as to whether they will perform a bit better for me in pow set back . We will see. I was really interested that Chad , Cindy and Shawn all thought set back on the Blunt xl was better in pow. I know the Crossbows are better for me in pow set back rather then centered. In terms of Blunt xl vs crossbow . I guess it really comes to some subjective differences in how they both perform in different snows as to how one prefers one over the other . The Crossbows do have quite a different feel being narrower and longer , where as the blunt xl are shorter and fat. Both have rocker and are quite fun and manueverable and perform well in all conditions . , The Crossbows have camber the Blunt xl are flat . Crossbows require hard boots and release bindings. Blunt xl can be ridden with soft boots, and soft boot binding , or hardboots with nonreleaser or release bindings . Both are really very nice wide spectrum all condition boards for many different riders. I will be torn this season between these two I think .
                    Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      Jack, as you know I really like the BXL ridden with a nonrelease softboot set up. But on our chunky glaze ice here at home I don't like them at all when set back, they get unstable and weird. Maybe leaning forward as you suggest is the answer but it's easier for me to simply ride them center.
                      I think you are right about ice , Bill . I thought the first day out riding on california "icy snow" that riding from the rear was fine, yesterday it was colder and windier and after the top layer of nice softer overnight man made snow was ridden off by folks there was glaze ice type frozen base exposed, more like your real Missouri ice , I suppose. On that kind of snow riding them rear set was definitely " unstable and weird". I actually slid right out and landed on my rear , an undignified outcome , ha , ha .. The good news is that the cure is just moving the binding back to center , much better that way in the glaze ice type stuff as you say . Next up will be to try the rear set Blunt xl in pow , hopefully some of that in the coming forecast this week .
                      Boards :
                      Boots
                      Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                        ...more like your real Missouri ice...
                        There are many things I'm fond of about our state, but ski conditions are not among them. When folks to come to visit, "bottomless powder" isn't usually one of the reasons. But this gives me an idea. "Come see us, and while you're here experience REAL MISSOURI ICE!"

I'll be monitoring the "meet up and ride" section in anticipation of forum members booking their trips.

Comment

Hey Jack. Sorry. Just saw this. Cindy and I rode a few days last week on groomers. They were still set up from last year spring break when we had a powder day. I did not even think about rear mount vs center. They were on rear. I felt like I had great control, and so did Cindy. I will leave them like that forever as they did great this year on groomers and spectacular last year rear mounted into the powder. Hope,that helps.
                          Chad
                          64 CM Bigfoot’s
                          100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
                          110 CM Rockered Condors
                          130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Nice chance to try my soft boot set up on the rear inserts of the Blunt Xl in unconsolidated junky snow at Sierra at Tahoe resort. . I think this is a great way of riding in pow and soft snow , seems like I just lean forward and don't have to shift back like I do on a center mount Blunt xl , seems like the extra real estate in front of me helps to stabilize the ride and because I am rear set the tips seem to come up even more in nasty snow . Plenty of tail support in the soft snow. On groomers and moguls I was fine as long as I rode more leaning forward then upright . I think I will ride this way except in very icy conditions when I will move to center mount . Thanks to Chad and Cindy and Shawn for waking me up to trying the Blunt xl in the rear set position again !!!
                            By the way I really like the way that the zero camber boards like the Blunt , Blunt xl and the Rocker Condor match with my soft boot set up . It seems to be easier to get them up on edge to carve and vary from slarve to carve then on cambered boards . I seem to like my hard boot with boards that have camber especially the wide boys like the Spliffs or the regular Condor .

DSC_0024
                            DSC_0022
                            Boards :
                            Boots
                            Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                            X