No announcement yet.

The Andorra 2018/2019 Skiboarding Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How wide were your skins before you trimmed them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    171cm/190lbs
    Current Favorites:
    RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
    Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
    Other boards I'm trying:
    Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
      How wide were your skins before you trimmed them?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      I don't know. I asked Jeff to order and pre-cut me a pair.

Have a look at climbingskinsdirect.com, because that is where he sourced them from.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
      Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
      Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
      Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

My daughter arrived for her six week break from university and today was her first day of the season on snow. Since the car was in for a service today we opted to just walk up to the local gondola. At the end of last season I ordered both a RVL8 Monkey skiboarding backpack and Lunch Lady Messiah pack from Greco. This was the time to put them to use.

Both of these packs have some great features and some shortcomings. I like the sturdy design of the Monkey over the Messiah, but the former is lacking a hip belt which IMHO is a major negative. I have already had some stitching rip on the skiboards tie down straps, which loses some points in my book too.

However both packs still did a great job lugging boards and boots up and down the hill. The Messiah is designed to carry one board on each side, allowing a helmet to be strapped to the back. Although the Monkey has straps for carrying the boots on the outside it becomes unwieldy. I prefer to have the boots inside the pack as there is ample space to fit a pair of big (320mm+ sole length) inside. Because the Monkey is designed to carry skiboards at the back there is not really space anywhere else for a helmet.

My daughter lugging a pair of Crossbows using the Messiah...

We did a couple of runs and got back home for a late lunch. She was also trying out her new pair of Scarpa Freedom boots with the Crossbows, but that's a story for another time

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
        Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
        Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

An early start for us today as we wanted to hit the trail before the lifts opened. It was my daughter's first introduction to skinning up a hill. She was in her new Scarpa Freeride boots on my older pair of Ospreys with the original backcountry kit. This version still uses the 4x10 inserts instead of being direct mounted.

We walked at a good pace whilst discussing South African history of 1802 - 1994 and how specific events and zeitgeists created the situation of today and even how some of those patterns are tlrepeating itself in other parts of the world today.

We eventually reached a point where we packed the skins away and just enjoyed the skiing. She has never been on something as demanding as Spruce Ospreys and I was surprised how slick she handled them on the down hill. Boards close together she ran lines like a pro. Given that she is only about 1.59m and weighs a feather it does show that those boards are not just for big burly guys.

We skied down to the car to drop some gear off and she also switched to her Crossbows. I stuck to the Ospreys.

Back up the lifts now we ran some more lines. I have forgotten how fast I can go on Ospreys and had some hair-raising turns close to drop offs. Crossbows turn a lot more nimble than Ospreys - that's for sure.

I eventually had my first tumble of the season where I forgot how the steep the drops are at at a specific red runs at the Arcalis resort. I lost an edge turning at speed and trying to shed speed at the same time.

Except for being annoyed with myself, I just took it in the stride and rolled up straight to my feet just carrying on where I left. Gaining more speed again I overran the entrace to the lift gate. Ospreys are beasts!

Comment

So nice!
            rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
            ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Christmas morning. Get up there for lift opening. Do three runs in kixed shade and glorious sunshine and go home again to set up a Xmas meal.

(All I want for Xmas is some decent snowfall).

Comment

The sun just rises as we have a quick breakfast before driving up to the Pal resort. We park next to the road close to one of the chair lifts - an easy access point. There are already other people putting skins on their skins. As usual Dynafit bindings are really popular around here.

We lay the Ospreys out, step into the AT bindings and start skinning up the hill. We are following a standard in-resort skimo route again. I noticed that I just get into the groove, hit a good stride length and all is well - I could just as well walk up a hill.

Having started around 1700m our target is Pic del Cubil, the highest point in the resort, at 2364m. The whole route is just over 5km, but we cut a short cut and go straight up the side of a red slope. It's steep and we get to the max grip the skins offer without having to resort to either fitting crampons or zig-zagging the hill. Straight up and the quads are feeling it for sure. I am definitely feeling it more than yesterdays 7.5km nordic power hill walk & down hill run.

Finally we hit the top to enjoy the view. Normally this point would completely white, but the high temps and lack of snow this season means it's all grass intermixed with patches of ice.

We finish the day by skiing down to the car, dropping the excess gear and then do three lift-served runs.

Comment

I was bored, so I put a pair of Merit bindings on a pair of Allz Elaila 94s. For extra fun I adjusted them to fit my Scott touring boots instead of my K2 Pinnacles. I have not been on these boards for years, but I thought I'll give them a try again. At lunch-time I went to the closest resort.

Man, what a lightweight setup. I could basically walk to the charilft with them on my feet - no need to shuffle on attempt to skate. Off the lift was easy too, but that is where the fun ended. The snow was crud and there were too many people around.

But above all I realised I do not like to ride on anything so short anymore. Skiboard technology has moved up quite a bit since I purchased the Elailas. There is no aft control on these boards - everything has to be done dead center. No wonder they are suppose to be good park boards.

I have moved on. The Crossbows and the Ospreys suit my style of riding far better.

Comment

With still no fresh snow forecast for tge nect couple of days and the existing snow pack deteriorating, we donned on snow shoes instead and went to the Sorteny area.

An easy and gentle up hill walk on a ice covered dirt track to the mountain hut - called a refugi in this part of the world.

Normally these peaks would be mostly white and popular with ski mountaineers, but not today. We came across a pair during our descent which were struggling up the hill withou crampons, but having seen the route they were definitely in for a disappointment. Today was a day for snow shoes or boot-fitted crampons. (I would not even consider carrying skiboards for the return - there were too many rocks protruding the ice layer).

Comment

Bit of a grim time. Dumping today in Austria, hopefully snow coming your way soon.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
                      Crossbow (go to dream board)
                      Most everything else over time.
                      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                        Bit of a grim time. Dumping today in Austria, hopefully snow coming your way soon.

You and Steve need to come out this way one year.

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post

Totally agree

Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                            Totally agree

I concur.
                            Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                            Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                            Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

New snow at last! However the strong winds have led to chairlifts and even gondolas being closed. We might go out tomorrow as more snow is expected tonight

This was the view from the office window in the afternoon. I don't think that is just little clouds up the peak. I think some snow is actively being blown around.

Comment

New snow at last! However the strong winds have led to chairlifts and even gondolas being closed. We might go out tomorrow as more snow is expected tonight

This was the view from the office window in the afternoon. I don't think that is just little clouds up the peak. I think some snow is actively being blown around.

Hope it is coming now. Austria is being slammed. TOO MUCH snow.

Go Android

Comment

Working...
                                X