The Andorra 2018/2019 Skiboarding Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Andorra 2018/2019 Skiboarding Report

It is only a couple of weeks before the season opens. This is my blog roll of how skiboarding over the season progresses and whether I meet any skiboarders here.

I have already bough my skipass nearly two months ago. This year I saved quite a bit of meony as I only bought for three resorts. Last season I had the all-Andorra pass and hardly skiboarded at any of the other resorts. As a resident of the parish I got my season pass for only €179 (yes, you read that right).

Snow has already been falling since October, but this is early and some of it will definitely melt away before the season opens.

BTW If you want more general details on skiboarding in Andorra see the Andorra Resort Report.
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
    It is only a couple of weeks before the season opens. This is my blog roll of how skiboarding over the season progresses and whether I meet any skiboarders here.

I have already bough my skipass nearly two months ago. This year I saved quite a bit of meony as I only bought for three resorts. Last season I had the all-Andorra pass and hardly skiboarded at any of the other resorts. As a resident of the parish I got my season pass for only €179 (yes, you read that right).

Snow has already been falling since October, but this is early and some of it will definitely melt away before the season opens.

BTW If you want more general details on skiboarding in Andorra see the Andorra Resort Report.
    Can't wait to hear about it!

Rick ><)))°>
    rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
    ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

I have not done any prep for the season. Still need to get down to a ski shop do get some reoairs done on my Crossbows and also to have the Ospreys serviced.

In the off-season I managed to get a pair of Scott Cosmos AT boots ar a good price. They are much lighter than my crossover K2 pinnacles and will pair well to with my backcountry Ospreys setup.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
      Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
      Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
      Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Scott AT boots with the Tyrolia Ambition bindings mounted on Ospreys. I did the initial adjustmenrs, but will get them properly checked out when the ski shop across the road opens for the season.

However they should suffice for some lightweight touring / gear test in the next week or so.

Comment

Got the snowshoes out too to check all in is good condition. Snowshoeing is a good way to stay fit in the winter, allowing for fast walking up/down tracks that one might walk or run in summer.

This year wifey got upgraded to a new pair of TSL Symbioz. I really like the flex in the Symbioz models which result in the snow never balling up.

Comment

I really enjoyed last year's report from Andorra, looking forwards to more great stories and pictures.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

No more prescription glasses.

As some of you might know, I have used a Bolle Visor helmet in the past few years. Due to being severely myopic I had to ski with prescription glasses and I never found a helmet - goggle combination that worked for me that was actually reasonably priced. That is why I switched to using a visor-based helmet. I have been really happy with it and it save my head a couple of times.

However, in this off-season I had cataract removal surgeyy with a toric lens replacement which restored my long-distance vision. This means that for the first time since the age of about 10 I don't have to wear glasses except for reading and computer work. AND it also means that for I can go skiing without having to wear glasses - only need them for reading the lunch-time menu .

So I will soon find out whether I shall continue to use my Bolle and whether I can use switch to another helmet like the Giro I still have and maybe just ski with a good pair of sunglasses on those sunny days.

Comment

Congrats on the Op. Life changing. All those wonderful expensive high promise sunglasses can now be yours [emoji846]

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
                Crossbow (go to dream board)
                Most everything else over time.
                Go Android

Comment

One of the resorts here is stating an opening day of this Saturday (17). The official ski season for all resorts are set fotr 1 December. In anticipation I drove up there yesterday, but except for the good views, the snow conditions are disappointing. I suspect that if they are going to open it will only be one bowl served a chairlift. Normally the road up to this bowl (La Coma) is closed in winter as it is used as a skimo access route and a green exit route for beginners. Yesterday the road was still opne all the way. I suspect that might be the plan for early opening is to leave access for about two weeks.

There is probably just enough cover there to be safely skiboarding. If I go I'll take my pair of Eman Uprises and just do like 3 runs. I don't want to suffer any damage to other newly serviced boards.

There is not nearly enough cover of the section that leads to the access road.

The lower part of the resort does not have enough cover either, especially in the beginner areas. One can spot the red from the magic carpet surrounded by grass.

Comment

That's just beautiful
                    Skis/Skiboards:
                    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
                    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
                    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
                    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
                    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
                    2012 Salomon SPK 90
                    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
                    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

It's Don Maclean singing about Miss American Pie and the day the music died, but today the music didn't die because today is the official start of the Andorea 2018/2019 season.

I'm out on Crossbows today and the mountains look lovely early in the morning in Arcalis. There is not too many people around yet.

A couple of runs to get the feeling back, a couple of aches in the quadriceps and some foot pais, but it is early season. Should be up and running properly after a couple of days.

A stopover at a mountain restaurant for a proper chocolate breakfast. Yeah that is real thick alpine hot chocolate.And no, it does not taste like Hersleys.

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                        It's Don Maclean singing about Miss American Pie and the day the music died, but today the music didn't die because today is the official start of the Andorea 2018/2019 season.

I'm out on Crossbows today and the mountains look lovely early in the morning in Arcalis. There is not too many people around yet.

A couple of runs to get the feeling back, a couple of aches in the quadriceps and some foot pais, but it is early season. Should be up and running properly after a couple of days.

A stopover at a mountain restaurant for a proper chocolate breakfast. Yeah that is real thick alpine hot chocolate.And no, it does not taste like Hersleys.

Great combination... Crossbows and hot chocolate!
                        rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                        ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Was planning to go to my cloeest resort, Arinsal this morning - the gondola is a 600m walk from our place. Looking at the slope report only a couple of runs were open, so I took the car and drove up to Pal. It has a number of entry point that is accessible by vehicle. I chose La Botella, the furthest point away, as there would be less cars and it has a great restaurant. As the main entry point for most people is the big gondola that serves the main town, choosing my side would definitely resilt in less slope traffic.

It turns out that the connecting lifts were not in operation earlt in the morning so I had this side of the resort tor myself. Pretty much just a blue and red run available. The blue is really wide and when alone wide carving are the thing. The red, OTOH turned out to be ungroomed and it having one of the steepest drop-ins around here felt like a black. Not easy at all, even lost my balance at one point.

I noticed that the connecting lifts opened, by virtue of a ski academy's youngsters arriving and decided to head over to the other side. Basically the hard runs were all closed and soil was showing on parts of the blue runs, so after I run I came straight back.

Now the blue run down to restaurant felt wonderful on Crossbows. Instead of carving I just over-unweighted the turns. What fun!

Retrospectively, I should have brought the Osprey and skinned up some of the hills instead.

Anyway, the view from the restaurant looks all the way back to the other end of the resort.

Comment

This is not good. We are looking to having a number of warm days with temps too high to even use snow making equipment. Snow is degrading fast with an outlook of only getting better just before Xmas.

Comment

The warm season continues and the snow conditions are even worse now. The resorts are doing their best to at least the blue runs open.

I put the skins on the Ospreys this morning being very keen to give my newly acquired Scott boots an outing. I made my target in under under 45min, which meant I had to wait for a friend who was coming up when the lifts opened.

Well the new boots were so comfortable. Once I got into a sliding rhythm, walking was good.

Next step was do so some lift-serviced runs and see how to performed. Not bad either, but not as responsive as my K2 Pinnacles. Anyhow paired with Ospreys they are a great combination.

I did a couple of runs without poles and then due to the many runs being closed we had to exit on a green run. For this I had to pop the Black Diamond telescopic poles off the pack to help me along.

Now waiting for more snow so that we can tour more backcountry.

Comment

Working...
                              X