Season Forecasts? Predictions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Forecasts? Predictions?

It sounds like it might be a good season in my neck of the woods (NE Pennsylvania) albeit with a late start. These days it seems like the season is getting shorter and shorter everywhere. What do forecasts look like in your part of the world? Any predictions? What are you looking forward to most this season?

Link to AccuWeather's latest forecast
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

I hope your map above isn't correct. It doesn't look good for Utah and Colorado. It's been dumping in both states. Wolf Creek in CO is even opening this weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a teaser that will be all melted this time next month.

I don't know. I haven't read good things for out here. They are saying above average warmth going into December. We've been cool and will be getting cooler the beginning of next week, but then temps are supposed to rise possibly up into the 80s again. Which sucks!
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Here in NEPA we were at 75-80 just days ago and now today was a high of 55 and it appears it will continue. Farmers almanac calls for a heavy winter here in the Northeast. Last golf tournament tomorrow morning (projected 45* in am) then I’m ready for snow.
      Skis/Skiboards:
      2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
      2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
      2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
      2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
      20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
      2012 Salomon SPK 90
      2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

With the extensive snowmaking capabilities at AZ Snowbowl, the last two seasons have run from Thanksgiving all the way through to Easter. Although natural snow is great, we longer have to rely on it falling to ski. It's really nice to not have to worry about predictions coming through. Either good or bad, they seem to cause stress.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Well this new weather outlook is even worse for the West than the ones I've seen before. https://weather.com/forecast/nationa...rature-outlook
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Lots and lots of berries on the rowan trees, and everything else, so old weather lore says it'll be a hard winter. Cold, but lots of snow.

I'm not saying I believe the old weather lore, but I'll always agree with lots of snow! Cold, well it's not so good for ski conditions, but does make for a good sauna season. I didn't get much use of my sauna last winter in Nelson (too mild), but it's all set up and ready to go in the driveway here (it's on wheels, so it goes where I do, and sometimes to the ski hill).

I didn't get much use out of my DLPs last year due to too much powder, so I feel like I've hedged my skiboard bets appropriately. Prepared for hardpack, hoping for deep.

So far the alpine at the Horse is looking great for early-season snow (all the mountains around town are snow-covered), but it's the lower half of the hill that can be a killer in a warm year. If you want to do the fun runs, you need to drop to the base every second run, and sometimes it's terrible for coverage or ice.
            BOARDSLAYER
            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
              ..... I didn't get much use of my sauna last winter in Nelson (too mild), but it's all set up and ready to go in the driveway here (it's on wheels, so it goes where I do, and sometimes to the ski hill)....
              Hold on .... you have a mobile sauna you take skiing? This is brilliant and a must see. Post some pics.
              Boards:
              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Sorry for the late late reply... been busy butchering hogs and playing the blues and stuff.

Here are some photos as requested!

I built this 5 or 6 years ago, so it's getting a little weathered on the outside. I don't mind the vintage look though... exterior is all galvanized steel where it's not scorched cedar.

It's a heavy trailer, so it doesn't usually go too far in the winter. I get about half the gas mileage I normally would on the highway, and you can watch the fuel needle drop climbing a ski hill.

The benches are set up to reconfigure from sauna mode to a single bunk and double bed in about 30 seconds. The middle bench gets lifted up to the top bracket, the bottom bench flips back (using the strap) and the plywood panel you can see behind the benches folds down on top of the flipped bottom bench. There's room behind the panel to store a fold-out double mattress and bedding. The stove's too hot (and doesn't burn well on low) to keep a fire going all night, but if you heat it up first it's pretty well insulated for sleeping.
                BOARDSLAYER
                Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Between this porta-sauna and the statement, "been busy butchering hogs and playing the blues and stuff," you have become the object of my envy, good sir!
                  Sticky Icky Ickys (I think I'm in love )
                  Spruce 120's (they served me well)
                  Trikke Skki

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                    With the extensive snowmaking capabilities at AZ Snowbowl, the last two seasons have run from Thanksgiving all the way through to Easter. Although natural snow is great, we longer have to rely on it falling to ski. It's really nice to not have to worry about predictions coming through. Either good or bad, they seem to cause stress.
                    Az snow bowl!! I’m an AZ native as well... from Tucson... this upcoming season is gonna be my first ski board season and I’m super excited to hit snowbowl and pinetop as much as possible! Maybe we can link up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi, my wife and I are up at Snowbowl most weekends, so yes, let’s hit some runs together.

Sunrise (Pinetop) is rapidly going downhill. They have now announced that the Cyclone lift will not be replaced, effectively closing a third of the mountain. The steepest terrain is off the Cyclone Ridge, so we won’t go there this year.
                      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
                      X