Hagan Offlimits questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagan Offlimits questions

Just got myself a 2009-2010 era Hagan Offlimits from a UK seller for about US$65! i only have a ski background but owing to disabled lower legs ( non-functioning calves and one leg also with nonfunctioning anterior tibialis) and sucky fore-aft control; I'm experimenting with shorter skis (read: easy-to-turn) to see if the small turn radius, lighter swing weight and easier turn initiation is worth the tradeoffs ( squirrelly feel, trickier balance at times). I've read virtually all the older reviews of these (133cm, 130-90-110 ) boards by Jack Jue and Wendell Jeong, Macrophotog and many more. Thinking of getting a mounting position where the position optimises my current intended use ( 80% frontside 20% powder/offpiste; nice and easy skiing, no aggressive hucking, charging etc ). So if I line up my boot centre with the ski centre; what's the ideal set up for the mounting? I think Wendell mentioned when it was set back 10-12cm from center, it was good in powder and trees but chattery on groomers. Shifting it back about just 4 cm from centre seemed to be the ideal compromise and helped to get more weight (and frontside control) over the tips.. he said in an old SBOL post...Both jack and Wendell were way heavier than me though - I'm 155lbs, 5'8". Ideas, experiences shared most welcome. Thanks

Here is my recommendation for what you want to do . There is a mark on the ski for the recommended boot center line .This is a small arrow located on the sidewall of the ski. This is NOT the center point of the ski but the manufacturers recommended mounting point for the center of your boot. It results in your boot being in a set back position from the center point of the ski. I would recommend that you mount your boot center 3cm in front of the mark on the ski.
    This will give you better performance on piste then the recommended position. I had the same ski as you bought and mounted it with boot center right on the recommended spot and did fine but mostly was riding backcountry powder and some on piste. It was fantastic in soft snow this way but less edging then optimal in firm snow this way. My backcountry buddy who is your weight and size mounted his boot also on the recommended mark on the ski and did fantastic in the backcountry but did less well in firm snow and tended to wash out the tails .
    Wendell might have other suggestions . He only used his Hagan at the ski area.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
      There is a mark on the ski for the recommended boot center line .This is a small arrow located on the sidewall of the ski. This is NOT the center point of the ski but the manufacturers recommended mounting point for the center of your boot. It results in your boot being in a set back position from the center point of the ski. I would recommend that you mount your boot center 3cm in front of the mark on the ski.
      Not all Hagan 130's have the "factory recommended boot center" mark in the same place. A few years ago, they moved it significantly forward, so indexing from this mark will not be consistent for every pair.

I have both versions. If you like, I can take these dimensions indexed from a fixed point like the rear of the ski. I think Wendell found that mounting boot center forward 5 cm from the "old" factory mark worked well (I might not have this exactly right), so mounting 5cm forward of the "new" mark might be too far forward. Jack's suggestion of 3cm is probably safe for either version, and close to ideal for the "new" Offlimits.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendations, fellas! Will be taking note of these.

By the way, just in case anyone’s interested, my friend Durham is selling a few Black Rock Wheels. If anyone’s interested, feel free to PM me.

Comment

hagan offlimits factory mark

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          Not all Hagan 130's have the "factory recommended boot center" mark in the same place. A few years ago, they moved it significantly forward, so indexing from this mark will not be consistent for every pair. I have both versions. If you like, I can take these dimensions indexed from a fixed point like the rear of the ski. I think Wendell found that mounting boot center forward 5 cm from the "old" factory mark worked well (I might not have this exactly right), so mounting 5cm forward of the "new" mark might be too far forward. Jack's suggestion of 3cm is probably safe for either version, and close to ideal for the "new" Offlimits.
          Hey Bill - thanks for offering to do this (indexing from the tail end of the ski to the factory mark)! There were some freight forwarding issues but I hope to get my Hagans in thenext week or so. Mine are the 2009-2010 vintage one (the brownish/red top sheet - like this:https://www.snow-online.com/ski/haga...mits-2009.html) - maybe that might help

Comment

Originally posted by everest8850 View Post
            Hey Bill - thanks for offering to do this (indexing from the tail end of the ski to the factory mark)! There were some freight forwarding issues but I hope to get my Hagans in thenext week or so. Mine are the 2009-2010 vintage one (the brownish/red top sheet - like this:https://www.snow-online.com/ski/haga...mits-2009.html) - maybe that might help
            It took a trip to the vault---there were cobwebs to clear and the hinge needed a little oil---but here are the different locations of the factory recommended boot center mark, measured from the notch at the rear of Hagan Offlimits:

Old: 52.6 cm
            New: 59.0 cm

Apparently, Hagan made this change sometime during the run of "brownish red" graphics. I actually have two pair of these, one has the old "rearward" mark and the other is identical except it has the newer "forward" mark, so you'll have to measure your pair to know which version it is. All the older models (like the flame graphics et al) have the rearward mark.

Years ago, Wendell reported on the forum that Hagans skied much bettter (at least for resort use) with the bindings mounted significantly forward of recommended---measured from the old, more rearward mark. Several of us tried this and found it to be true. Hagan should probably hire Wendell as a consultant, because some years later they made the change themselves ;-)

Personally---for resort skiing only---I've found that about 8 cm forward of recommended from the old mark (2 cm forward of the new mark) is about right. I think this is real close to what Wendell found too. If you're doing backcountry, though, that's a whole different ball game and I would lean on Jack for advice, but you'll want to know where your mark is so there's a common point of reference.

Comment

Hagan Mount point

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              It took a trip to the vault---there were cobwebs to clear and the hinge needed a little oil---but here are the different locations of the factory recommended boot center mark, measured from the notch at the rear of Hagan Offlimits:

Old: 52.6 cm
              New: 59.0 cm

Apparently, Hagan made this change sometime during the run of "brownish red" graphics. I actually have two pair of these, one has the old "rearward" mark and the other is identical except it has the newer "forward" mark, so you'll have to measure your pair to know which version it is. All the older models (like the flame graphics et al) have the rearward mark.

Years ago, Wendell reported on the forum that Hagans skied much bettter (at least for resort use) with the bindings mounted significantly forward of recommended---measured from the old, more rearward mark. Several of us tried this and found it to be true. Hagan should probably hire Wendell as a consultant, because some years later they made the change themselves ;-)

Personally---for resort skiing only---I've found that about 8 cm forward of recommended from the old mark (2 cm forward of the new mark) is about right. I think this is real close to what Wendell found too. If you're doing backcountry, though, that's a whole different ball game and I would lean on Jack for advice, but you'll want to know where your mark is so there's a common point of reference.

Hey Bill - I missed this post . Many thanks for taking the trouble to measure the skis!Jack Jue and I have exchanged messages..
              Thevskis have also arrived so it will an interesting time mounting these.. see the bindings merely places on the skis for this photo

Comment

Originally posted by everest8850 View Post
                Hey Bill - I missed this post . Many thanks for taking the trouble to measure the skis!Jack Jue and I have exchanged messages..
                Thevskis have also arrived so it will an interesting time mounting these.. see the bindings merely places on the skis for this photo
                You're welcome, Everest. You're smart to get Jack's input. He is the Man With the Plan ;-)

Comment

Working...
                X