Transitioning: Ski board options needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by everest8850 View Post
    Thanks Murph - I left for a 2 week trip to Japan on the 9th and missed your post . Back now - thanks for sharing your thoughts! Overall, with my disabled lower legs and sucky fore-aft control, getting shorter, fatter, turn-ier skis seems the way to go. I tried a 130cm Salomon Verse 500 skis a couple of years ago and found them abit squirrelly in crud etc, not to mention they still had a relatively bigger turn radius of 12m for their (short) length owing to their skinnier geometry. I'm currently on a Salomon Q90, 161cm ski (130-87-119) with a short front rocker and very slight tail rocker, and turns at 13.8m - short for a ski like this, but still a bit of a struggle for me..I've been researching a whole bunch of skis that might fit the bill for "approach skis with skins", 70% piste 30% offpiste, "turn-y" with some twin tips or twin rocker and some float as well and have shortlisted the following. happy to hear thoughts from you and others.

1) Head Ethan Too skis in 141cm length - though harder to find online since Head nixed those models last year

2) Fischer Ranger:
    Ski Size: 142cm
    Ski Turn Radius: 10m
    Ski Sidecut: 124-88-112mm

3)Atomic Punkz III (Jr). 140cm. 122-85-112. Radius 10.6

As for more skiboard like planks eg Hagan Offlimits and Ospreys - I'm still undecided if these shouldgo onthe shortlist owing to the differences in binding positioning. Getting a Hagan witha more forward binding eg 6cm back rather than the default 12cm back might be an acceptable tradeoff for more control frontside, at the expense of tip diving propensity in powder (which I am not quite good for yet). How do you find your Ospreys behave vis a vis mounting/positioning et al? The skiboard shift requires a bit more thinking for me, but encouraged to hear your good experience wth them in Japan!
    Thanks
    I think you should seriously look into the Head Ethan Too 141cm with PR11 rail bindings from spruceski.com. From everything you’ve mentioned through this thread, I believe this would be what you should try next. Very maneuverable ski with lots of versatility - I’ve skied this same length in 9” of powder at 6’ and 200 pounds. Great on groomers, crud, powder, and off piste. With a 9.1 meter radius it is very fun but also adaptable to larger turns - no unfavorable feedback really with any way you want to ski it. Depending on boot size, the power rail allows for changing positions for different snow conditions. My boot sole length is 329 and I can set back or forward 3cm from standard set up. It seems like with your leg disability it might be worth trying this ski prior to a longboard skiboard like the Osprey where you might be relegated to slarving instead of carving due to its wide platform (assuming your leg might have difficulty getting 112mm underfoot up on edge). The Ethan Too is very easy to carve at 91mm underfoot yet it’s tip and tail width easily makes it a true all mountain ski.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
      I think you should seriously look into the Head Ethan Too 141cm with PR11 rail bindings from spruceski.com. From everything you’ve mentioned through this thread, I believe this would be what you should try next. Very maneuverable ski with lots of versatility - I’ve skied this same length in 9” of powder at 6’ and 200 pounds. Great on groomers, crud, powder, and off piste. With a 9.1 meter radius it is very fun but also adaptable to larger turns -.....

Agreed - it's on the top of my list. Jeff Singer who's kindly been sending me some answers too - said that the E2s are thing and need a plate before a binding like touring marker F12 could fit on it; I notice you also have a 151cm.

As a ski with a twin tip/rocker, how do you find the 141s vs the 151s on groomers and powder?

Presently, because of the need for risers (adding stack height)m it probably not a great idea to get a Spruce board (Crossbows or Ospreys look tempting) because that would add far too much stack height - vs the Hagans that could have a direct mount of an AT binding

Comment

Agreed - it's on the top of my list. Jeff Singer who's kindly been sending me some answers too - said that the E2s are thing and need a plate before a binding like touring marker F12 could fit on it; I notice you also have a 151cm.

As a ski with a twin tip/rocker, how do you find the 141s vs the 151s on groomers and powder?

Presently, because of the need for risers (adding stack height)m it probably not a great idea to get a Spruce board (Crossbows or Ospreys look tempting) because that would add far too much stack height - vs the Hagans that could have a direct mount of an AT binding
        Within my family we own the 141cm, 151cm, and 161cm Ethan Too skis. Currently my wife skis the 141cm, I ski the 151cm, and my son skis the 161cm. I’ve skied them all - the 141cm exclusively for for one season before my wife took them over and now the 151cm as my primary ride. I have less time on the 161cm than the others. I’m on the east coast of the US which is often called the ice coast - so the majority of my 40+ days per year are on groomers, but I also get my share of small powder dumps. I own and have owned a bunch of different skis and skiboards over the past several years, and if I was forced to give all of them up except one pair, I would keep my Ethan Too skis (although I would still beg to be allowed to keep one pair of skiboards too). This is because of their versatility - they really can do so much very well. Sure, on an extremely icy day it would be better being on a narrower ski underfoot like my Head Supershape iTitans, or on a deep powder day be on my Triple Js, BluntXLs, or Crossbows. . . But as a short radius all mountain ski, the Ethan Too is easily a one ski quiver choice for me because it can handle so much and has a huge fun factor too.

As far as the differences between the 141cm and the 151cm, there are very little other than the additional footprint of the 151cm which would give a little advantage in deeper powder. The increased length also increases the radius a little although they are still very short in terms of most skis on the market today. Based on your leg disability, I would think the shorter and easier to swing ski would be the way to go. Jeff Singer knows this ski well and would be able to tell you what options are available for mounting a binding on the 141cm since it requires his plates for an adult binding. The 151cm is thick enough to mount an adult power rail binding direct which is the way i ski it, and I think also a standard binding direct, but Jeff Should be able to verify that for you.

Comment

3)Atomic Punkz III (Jr). 140cm. 122-85-112. Radius 10.6
          I owned this ski for a season. Very nice ride on the groomers, stiffer than the Ethan Too. It also lacks the versatility of the Ethan Too with its narrower profile. A decent option if you only stay on groomers.

Comment

Thanks Macrophotog! I appreciate your thoughts on the ski behaviour of the Ethans. have you tried others like The Fischer Ranger in the 140cm range? I ask because its getting harder to find the E2s in the marketplace!

Comment

Thanks Macrophotog! I appreciate your thoughts on the ski behaviour of the Ethans. have you tried others like The Fischer Ranger in the 140cm range? I ask because its getting harder to find the E2s in the marketplace!
              The only experience I have on skis in this length are on the Ethan Too and Atomic Punx which I also commented on. I’ve skied the shorter Hagan Offlimit which I did not prefer and would heavily rely on Wendell’s previous comments on those. I know Jeff Singer has tested the Fischer Ranger (I believe in this size) so he would have the most insight there.

Comment

Working...
              X