Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice for selecting a second pair of boards

Good day!

I’m looking for some help selecting a new pair of skiboards. Let me give you some stats, and then I’ll lay out my riding scenario.

Height: 5’5”
    Weight: 138
    Boot size: Women’s 6.5 or 7, depending on the fit

I discovered Skiboarding about 3 years ago, and ordered a pair of Summit Jades (87 cm). I use my old K2 Cinch snowboard bindings, with booster straps at the top. I enjoy these boards, and I like the soft boot setup. I live in Eastern PA, so the short turning radius is awesome, and I love that responsiveness on the icy conditions.

I also head to Wyoming to ride at Grand Targhee at least once each season. The Jades are ok out there, but I struggle in deep powder. Just not enough float, so I have to work hard at it. I still love the length for glades, but.....need some float. Also wish I had a bit more stability at speed and through crud.

We recently bought a vacation house near Targhee, and I want to get a pair of boards to leave out there. Something that will handle those beautiful powder days. However, I do still want something that has good control and maneuverability when we get a week without fresh powder, and end up on the groomers. So....trade-offs (or....do I need two models?)

In terms of style, I’m a leisurely rider, looking for the smooth, peaceful ride. I want to enjoy the scenery on the way down, rather than race to the bottom just to ride the lift back up. (This drives my kids nuts! Hahaha). In terms of ability, I’m intermediate. I can handle steeper terrain and such, riding blacks in PA and all the blue stuff out west. But I know my form is a bit awkward, and I need to learn to let the boards ride out with more speed. I have good control and tend to make a million turns. I do not ride in the park....just not my thing. I’ll stick to taking video for my boys in that sector.

I recently rented some Summit CRZs with a snowboard setup, and Summit Invertigos with a releasable ski binding setup (I didn’t realize SBOL had a rental program). The Technine snowboard bindings were too big for my boots, and the toe strap would not stay put. Needless to say....without being connected to the boards, it hit the fan pretty quickly. Didn’t like the hard boots either. They had too much forward lean, which left my quads on fire and my feet cramping terribly. So I’d like to stay with a snowboard setup, but I need to be sure my smaller boot size will fit properly.

Ok, that’s a novel. I’ve been looking at the Blunt XLs. But wondering if I need some camber for those groomer days. With non release bindings though, looks like I might be too short for Spliffs. Would love to hear your recommendations.

Thanks in advance for your help. Glad I found this site and the community.

XLs are great for powder. They are also good on the groomers as long as the groomers aren't rock-hard. The Sticky Icky Ickys are better groomer boards with some powder capabilities. When the powder gets a little deep, you'll have to lean back quite a bit on the Ickys to make them work.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Thanks Sempai. Based on that feedback, I think the Blunt XLs are a better choice for what I need.
      Any experience with the RVL8 snowboard bindings?
      Also, regarding the height minimums on the various models, is that based on safety, or performance? Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by Dgodshall17 View Post
        Thanks Sempai. Based on that feedback, I think the Blunt XLs are a better choice for what I need.
        Any experience with the RVL8 snowboard bindings?
        Also, regarding the height minimums on the various models, is that based on safety, or performance? Just curious.
        I've had a couple of snowboard bindings/soft boot setups. I'm not a fan because I feel they don't give me the control I like. One of the setups I had was the RVL8. It was very nice and did what it was designed to do. I just prefer ski boots and release bindings for control and convenience.

The height minimums are for safety.
        Boards/Bindings:
        2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
        2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
        2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
        Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
        Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

I ride RVL8’s softboot setup exclusively and love the XLs. They are definitely different than ski boots but if you’re willing to take the time to learn how you have to ride them a little differently they will perform well in every situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          The Skiboard Connection
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSkiboardConnection/

Comment

Originally posted by Dgodshall17 View Post
            I’ve been looking at the Blunt XLs. But wondering if I need some camber for those groomer days.
            Since you have the Jades, the XLs should be a great complement. They are fantastic in powder, but their zero camber will take some adjustment on groomers at first. The ride is smooth if the conditions are smooth, but it can be harsh if the conditions are harsh. You may have to adjust your technique. Once you get used to them, though, they are super leisurely and fun on groomers (but not when it turns to east coast ice). They are one of my go-to boards, and I spend about half my time on them, east or west coast.

If you like the length of the Jades, you could also consider the regular 88cm Blunts. If you're looking for a replacement for the Jades that will do both groomers and powder, then I also echo that you consider Sticky's. I'm about your size, and Stickys are fine for me up to about maybe 6" of powder at which point I start missing those XLs. Stickys are very versatile and leisurely all-mountain boards.

Comment

similar quesiton

Please post back after you decide and try something. I am a woman of similar size, skill and general ski habits as you described (a bit shorter), and have been pondering the same question for my western trips. I was on Summit Nomads for several years and just got (and love) the SIIs this year but have not tried many different conditions on them yet. Usually I tend to just avoid any powder above about ankle deep, as I never really learned how to do it on my skis back in the day. When I accidentally landed in super deep stuff at Purgatory on my Nomads it was also not pretty. My snowboarder husband keeps trying to get me to come along enjoy the pow when we head west and I'd like to learn, but I want the right equipment to give me at least some chance of success. I'd appreciate hearing what you try and how it goes, as most of the advice I can find is either from much larger men on this forum with different needs, or from skiers who tell me I can't ride pow on my shorties

Comment

Originally posted by beckyricha View Post
                Please post back after you decide and try something. I am a woman of similar size, skill and general ski habits as you described (a bit shorter), and have been pondering the same question for my western trips. I was on Summit Nomads for several years and just got (and love) the SIIs this year but have not tried many different conditions on them yet.
                I will definitely let you know what I choose, and how they work out for me. I’m leaning toward the Blunt XLs, perhaps with a set of SIIs for hardback days. Didn’t want to do two pair, but......maybe in time. Will keep you posted.

Do you ride in PA at all?

Comment

I'd appreciate hearing what you try and how it goes, as most of the advice I can find is either from much larger men on this forum with different needs, or from skiers who tell me I can't ride pow on my shorties
                  Hopefully Courtney can chime in for you. She rides the XL's and KTP's almost exclusively and she would be a better reference point for you then us larger men

Comment

I'd appreciate hearing what you try and how it goes, as most of the advice I can find is either from much larger men on this forum with different needs, or from skiers who tell me I can't ride pow on my shorties
                    Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
                    Hopefully Courtney can chime in for you. She rides the XL's and KTP's almost exclusively and she would be a better reference point for you then us larger men

Here is POV video Courtney shot while riding powder at Park City on the XL's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl0q9VoacGQ

The other person in the video is KYU.

Comment

You've found a great group of people to ask! I'm about your size and, as Tom mentioned, I primarily ride KTPs and Blunt XLs.

I mostly ride KTPs if I'll be doing groomers, park or riding through a mix of various conditions. Before the Blunt XLs were created I also rode my KTPs in quite a bit of powder. The width gives you more float than a skinnier board, but the lack if flex means you have to be ready to lean back and ride your tails quite a bit - especially since we don't have as much height to work with. Overall, at our size it takes some work to take the KTPs into the powder and your quads will feel it quickly.

The Blunt XLs are perfect for powder days or when there's a fresh layer of snow on groomers. They ride nicely on groomed runs as long as it's not too icy. Like others have noted, they take a little bit of getting used to, but after a few runs they'll feel natural and you'll appreciate the extra float. The rocker makes them feel a lot smaller than they are, allowing you to make tight turns with ease.

I also have some Tanshos that I take out when I'm messing around on groomers or small park features. I find the Tanshos are a lot of fun when I'm going slower or riding with people who are still learning. I haven't ridden those in powder.

I hope that helps - happy to answer any questions

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

Courtney, I saw your Park City video on YouTube previously. It was one of the factors that led me to believe the XLs were a good choice for what I want. So thanks for that!

I ordered the Blunt XLs this morning, with the FiveForty Snowjam softboot bindings (Greco says he can modify them with smaller straps for my small boot size). I’ll let you know how it goes! Pray for snow!

Comment

Congrats on the new set up! You'll love them

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Comment

FedEx agony

FedEx had me all excited to receive my XLs this past Saturday, but alas, they did not arrive . As I watched the package move from one state to another (ok, I’ll admit, it was more like “stalking” the progress rather than “watching”), I was so excited to see it hit a location in PA on Friday that was only about an hour west of me! But then it went back west a bit, stalled there for a day, and now moved a bit south? Umm, somebody at FedEx needs a map, a lesson in navigation, and/or a lesson in OpEx and Logistics! It’s like a cruel joke to watch the updates. Hoping for a delivery tomorrow!

Comment

Thanks! That info confirms what I was thinking about the XLs, but it helps to hear from smaller ladies that the same performance benefits still work for us. Not sure when I'll get out west and need anything for powder, but good to know what to watch for. Nice video, BTW. looks like fun.

As to the question on whether i ski PA, yes most of the time. Usually southern end like Whitetail or Liberty but some others occasionally and I can always use an excuse to explore more of the local hills.

Comment

Working...
                              X