No announcement yet.

Need some advice for selecting a second pair of boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=beckyricha;161532]Please post back after you decide and try something.

Got the new Blunt XLs out for their maiden voyage at Grand Targhee yesterday. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!!! Easy to turn on the groomers, and awesome in the powder. Hit some glades, and it was beautiful. Quick turning, and smooth sailing. The extra length and width made them feel much more stable with some speed than my older boards. The soft boot setup with the third strap was really nice,though I have to get used to getting all the straps out of the way so I can get my foot in without stepping on a strap. No trouble skating; I’m not that great at skating anyway, and I always have a wide stance. So the extra width of the XLs didn’t pose any problems for me in that regard. Could not be happier. Did I mention I love these boards?!

Comment

[QUOTE=Dgodshall17;162033]
      Originally posted by beckyricha View Post
      Please post back after you decide and try something.

Got the new Blunt XLs out for their maiden voyage at Grand Targhee yesterday. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!!! Easy to turn on the groomers, and awesome in the powder. Hit some glades, and it was beautiful. Quick turning, and smooth sailing. The extra length and width made them feel much more stable with some speed than my older boards. The soft boot setup with the third strap was really nice,though I have to get used to getting all the straps out of the way so I can get my foot in without stepping on a strap. No trouble skating; I’m not that great at skating anyway, and I always have a wide stance. So the extra width of the XLs didn’t pose any problems for me in that regard. Could not be happier. Did I mention I love these boards?!
      Great to hear - enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Dgodshall17;162033]
        Please post back after you decide and try something.

Great! My GF rode them for the first time at Beaver Creek last week. It was the first time I have seen her comfortable riding powder.
        Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

[QUOTE=wjeong;162038]
          Originally posted by Dgodshall17 View Post

Great! My GF rode them for the first time at Beaver Creek last week. It was the first time I have seen her comfortable riding powder.
          GF? Significant Other please. You and I are easy too senior to have GFs lol

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
          Crossbow (go to dream board)
          Most everything else over time.
          Go Android

Comment

sprce?

reviving this thread because I never did buy another board but am headed to Colorado for Christmas and Spruce is having an awesome sale. Lots of people rave about the sherpa on powder and the crossbow to a lesser extent, but again these are mostly very large men. Any short, lighter people try these? Is either an alternative to the Blunt XL for people like me who can't justify the cost for rare pow attempts? The sherpa is about the same length as I used to ski, but hopefully more fun than my crappy rental-quality skis were. The crossbow length sounds better to me, but would it be too similar to my ickies to really make a difference?

Comment

Hi Beckyricha, I have both the Stickies and the Crossbows but I am one of those big guys ! But couldn't resist throwing in my 2 cents anyways. They are really both great boards but very different .
              The Crossbows are way better in pow and yet still have a nice edge in firm snow ( not too wide) , not quite as nice in icy snow as the Stickies but really very good , and in pow like night and day , I think for your size the Crossbows would be great for you as a second board with a much better pow performance then the stickies. . My wife who is more your size really doesnt like skiboards ( too squirrly for her ) . She tried the Crossbows but felt they were too short !, She skis 160 cm Head Rev 3 long skis in most conditions but she really likes the Spruce Osprey if there is deep pow . which she can't ski on her narrower long skis so we bring both skis for her on trips to Colorado or Utah and on pow days she loves the Ospreys. The Ospreys are easier turning then the Sherpa for lighter riders and I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Sherpa for you which does better with heavier aggressive folk . The Crossbows are much more skiboard like and turny and manuverable then the signficantly bigger Ospreys and I really think those would be a great choice for you , if you wanted a Spruce board and already have the Stickies which you like .
              Boards :
              Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
              Boots
              K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
              Bindings:
              Zero Pro Non release Binding
              Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
              Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
              Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
              Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

thanks! That was all the extra push I needed for something I was going to buy anyway. I just told my husband this was his Christmas gift to me, so he was cool with that I figure if they don't work out (doubtful from the reviews here), at the current price I can easily recoup most of my money on the for sale board.

Comment

reviving this thread because I never did buy another board but am headed to Colorado for Christmas and Spruce is having an awesome sale. Lots of people rave about the sherpa on powder and the crossbow to a lesser extent, but again these are mostly very large men. Any short, lighter people try these? Is either an alternative to the Blunt XL for people like me who can't justify the cost for rare pow attempts? The sherpa is about the same length as I used to ski, but hopefully more fun than my crappy rental-quality skis were. The crossbow length sounds better to me, but would it be too similar to my ickies to really make a difference?
                  I'm shorter and lighter. I was in CO last year, and I found myself swapping out of Stickys and other boards for Raptors or XLs most days. But if I had had my Crossbows then, I would have swapped out far less. I've spent a lot of time on Crossbows since then including some east coast powder, and they do make enough of a difference over Stickys for me that I haven't been on those Stickys much. And if you're used to skis, then you may appreciate the length of the Crossbows. Spruce's sale right now makes this a no-brainer, and you might end up selling your Stickys down the road instead!

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
                    XLs are great for powder. They are also good on the groomers as long as the groomers aren't rock-hard. The Sticky Icky Ickys are better groomer boards with some powder capabilities. When the powder gets a little deep, you'll have to lean back quite a bit on the Ickys to make them work.
                    And I Just wanted to add the Setback option for the Stickies, If you're using spruce Release bindings.

Comment

thanks! That was all the extra push I needed for something I was going to buy anyway. I just told my husband this was his Christmas gift to me, so he was cool with that I figure if they don't work out (doubtful from the reviews here), at the current price I can easily recoup most of my money on the for sale board.
                      If you're considering Crossbows, (I highly recommend too) Spruce is having monster sale right now!
                      rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                      ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

I own Ospreys (not Sherpas) and Crossbows, and I prefer Crossbows for most days including life-accessible free-riding.
                        Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                        Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                        Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Thanks everyone. I ordered those sale crossbows and they're here already! Not bad for free shipping. Now if only the local resorts would open. Would be nice to try them before I travel but the seem nice. Haven't been on anything that long in a while but even looking I can see they're not my old skis 😃

Comment

Thanks everyone. I ordered those sale crossbows and they're here already! Not bad for free shipping. Now if only the local resorts would open. Would be nice to try them before I travel but the seem nice. Haven't been on anything that long in a while but even looking I can see they're not my old skis [emoji2]
                            Three runs and you'll have the hang of them.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
                            Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                            Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                            Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
                            X