Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying experience & initial thoughts from a snowboarder transitioning to skiboarding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow! Really impressive riding g.dub! That maneuverability within' tight trees is exactly what drives me to start over and learn to skiboard! And what awesome trails you have there at that resort! Also, I appreciate the technique tips and softboot binding mounting suggestions. I hope to ride skiboards close to that level of control by the end of this season if I can help it.

Those condors/boot setup looks good! It almost looks like you're not even using a riser. These risers from summit do seem a bit high. I'll keep an eye out for some used beater boards to learn with, perhaps one narrower w/ camber as suggested. But if I can't get these warrantied, it seems like these are quickly becoming beater boards if this level of wear keeps up, lol!

I'm guessing this was a freak occurrence. I've been reviewing the unedited footage and I honestly cannot see at what point it happened. DJ was on the bunny hill, pausing the video at any point doesn't show the delamination. The very next ride was from the top of SaT's Grandview lift (about 2.5 miles descent to bottom, all green runs) and it is that exact run where I can see the delamination, very early within the ride even! I don't get it at all! Maybe it happened on the lift? Super confused. Either way, these boards shouldn't be this fragile.

Comment

I'm glad I learned on blades.
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Thanks KW,
        It's really hard to get tired of the terrain I've got around here. Glad that it is inspiring

The Condors are kind of like the two-handed battle axe of skiboarding. Although I ride them now, I don't think I could have learned on them as they are a beast to wield especially in tight spaces/high speeds. The DLPS are more maneuverable/responsive. As far as busting through massive amounts of powder however, they get the job done better than any other cambered board. The Riser I'm using is the one pictured here: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/mm5/g...view_large.jpg

It's not too tall, and its a nice wide platform for the binding to be supported on. The Missouri riser is also excellent, not quite as wide but solid and lightweight. I have a pair of the receptor risers, I have yet to field test (they are quite heavy). Keep a look out on the forums, things pop up every once in awhile and usually for a really good price. As far as learning boards, anything with around an 11 underfoot is going to give you the OG skiboard feel we've sacrificed a bit over the years for powder performance. My first pair 17 years ago was 13-11-13, so the TanSho, Revolt, or DLP are
        close to those dimensions and retain the ultra responsive maneuverability skiboarding is known for. Definitely recommend owning a set of one of those.

If you find some boards from the late 90's or early 2000's just make sure it was the 4x4 insert pattern and your golden.

Comment

Back in business. Greco replaced the right delamed skiboard under warranty, very quickly I might add (arrived one-day via Fedex). Everyone probably already knows this but RVL8's customer service and support has been top-notch with every interaction!

This time, I took the advice and bevelled the edges with my dremel on both the left and the newly replaced right skiboard. I can see why this would minimize chipping from clanging the boards together and/or stop further chipping damage already done. The left board's remaining chip damage were sticking up like little hangnails, waiting to be caught on something! All smooth now. Thanks everyone for the tips!

Comment

Working...
          X