Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fng!!

*NOOBIE ALERT*

I went skiblading last month and absolutely loved it. I was using 94cm blades from HEAD. they just looked like little skis to me but I was told "Nope, those are skiblades". Anyway I loved it and I started looking around youtube and came across RVL8 SKIBOARDS! So I have switched all seach criteria to that. My question is, where is the line between skiing and skiboarding? when it comes to sizing. 105cm skiboards vs 168cm skis. is not a huge jump in size. Im not trying to offend anyone so hope nobody is mad, just trying to figure this out. I think I want to go with 109 spliffs, cambered/Rockered. I ski Bigbear in California mostly with the hopes of making it to Mammoth one day. Im 6' 230lbs for reference. Thanks everyone. * Noobie alert has ended, carry on*
    Last edited by Greco; 03-21-2017, 12:57 PM.

Fng!!

Traditionally skiboards are under 100cm, at least per the old X Games rules. Nowadays that length gets stretched up to 110cm, which is the upper limit for a non release binding. From 110cm to 130cm is considered in the realm of longboards. Anything over that is a ski, of some sort.

There is a definite feel to a skiboard that enables you to ride it more centered than a ski and turn it with ease. For me, that length is at about 100cm. Once I go over that I feel like I am skiing, but a lot of folks go longer and maintain the feel of a skiboard. Where you draw the line is a personal choice based on what you want from the sport.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Do ya think the 109 spliffs would be too long to keep that Skiboard feel? I really enjoyed them short little 94

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Six View Post
        Do ya think the 109 spliffs would be too long to keep that Skiboard feel? I really enjoyed them short little 94
        A bigger consideration would be width than length the Spliffs are a wide board and will feel wide compared to the Head 94s you were just riding. What I mean by this is it takes longer to get the boards from edge to edge giving them a bulky feel (they are still less bulky than 165cm skis) but the Spliffs being as wide as they are and relatively stiff tend to be most loved by experienced riders that are taking these boards off trail.

As a new rider I suggest you avoid uber wide boards which include: Spliffs, Condors, Rockered Condors, Blunts, Blunt XLs. This is not to say that you would not love any of these or that they are, in any way, bad it's just they will feel less like the Head 94s. Though at your size (I am also over 6' and 200+ lbs too) you can throw around most skiboards with ease.

A suggested great place to start would be the RVL8 Revolts. These are wider and longer than the 94s but not so much that it won't take you long to adjust. They Revolts have a long history and a strong following meaning there are lots of riders that enjoy them and plenty of graphics options to choose from. The added width and length will give you a wider performance envelope with the ability to handle most on trail conditions and even light powder at your size. If you decide you really like skiboards and need something bigger for the occasional Calif. pow days you can add the Spliffs or any of those other wide boards down the road.
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

IMHO the biggest difference between skis and skiboards is 'Turn Radius'. Skis can easily have 3x the turn radius as skiboards.

Comment

I'm a heavy weight too (6' 240 ish) and I started on boards like those (summit headwall 95's). They were a blast. I ate some greens, cruised some blues, leaned back on some blacks, had fun in the moguls, and tried some side slope pow too. I was hooked.

Since then (four seasons ago 2013/2014) i've been through blunts, blunt xl's, summit carbon 110's, spruce raptors, spruce 120's, spruce ospreys.

And now I have Sherpas, spliffs and KTP's.

FWIW, thoughts thru my progression:

summit's 95's were a blast (that 13 9 12 tip waist tail ratio was a good one. always had good edge hold. the short length wore me out though)

zero cambered boards (blunts, xls, raptors, ospreys) i'm mostly on piste and these were just not as fun. harsh ride. i'm still honing my skills and technique so maybe soon i'll get into some of these type of boards.

spruce 120's were a joy to ride. made the summit 110's obsolete.

spliffs i really enjoy. they are a fun ride. carve, slarve, stable. good graphics. i agree with wookie that they are rather wide for testing the frozen waters, but then again any skiboarding is funner than not skiboarding.

KTP's are a beast of a board. rock solid stiff. i have no worries about edge hold with these. i'm faster on these than the spliffs. these things don't give much so i could feel my left ankle strain more on these. doesn't really hurt, i just feel my physical defects on these more so.

sherpas are the the sweetspot for a heavyweight i think. 130cm but still very maneuverable, rockered and cambered, 7m turn radius, groom, moguls, pow. versatile to the third pow. and these are the ones i always have the biggest grin on. if i could only choose one, it would be these.
            Heavyweight (6' 235lbs)

Active Duty:
            Sherpas (masterpiece. perfect combo camber, rocker, stiffness. great for heavys)
            Raptors (slush masters (no lurching in those sticky spots), light and nimble)
            Summit CRZ 106 (rockered, cambered, and stiff like the KTP's but more agile)
            Spruce Risers A 13s
            Head Rev 80 156cm skis (stiff and fast)

Comment

I cant thank you all enough for the great responses and answers. Im really leaning towards the 109 spliff for longevity, I learn very fast so I think I should do ok on them. I'm going with the Release bindings though, at my age I cant twist a knee lol. Your guys rock, thanks again for allowing me to ask questions.

Comment

I don't know if you're planning on getting them for the remainder of this season or not, but if not I might wait to see if the 4x4/4x10 system from the SIIs gets added to the Spliffs next season. I am planning on picking up a pair, but if that gets added it'll be a no-brainer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Toro View Post
                  I don't know if you're planning on getting them for the remainder of this season or not, but if not I might wait to see if the 4x4/4x10 system from the SIIs gets added to the Spliffs next season. I am planning on picking up a pair, but if that gets added it'll be a no-brainer.

Im not sure what any of that means lol. I assuming its the binding bolt pattern?

Comment

I wish RVL8 had a try before you buy day! Damn.. Would love to try a few pair on before buying, although that might be dangerous, If I liked more then one pair I might buy them too.....

Comment

Haha, yes. I'm assuming you'll be using the Spruce riser for your releasable bindings. They can be used in a 4x4 or 4x10 pattern. Using the 4x4 on the Sticky Icky Ickys centers the binding, using the 4x10 gives you 3cm setback. Basically a built in way to get a good amount of setback easily.

To be clear, I'm completely speculating on the change to the Spliffs but given the overwhelming popularity of the system on the SIIs, it wouldn't stun me if it became a more widespread feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Six View Post
                        I wish RVL8 had a try before you buy day! Damn.. Would love to try a few pair on before buying, although that might be dangerous, If I liked more then one pair I might buy them too.....
                        http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/sbol_demo_program.html

Comment

Unfortunately they will not, still too much inventory.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                            Unfortunately they will not, still too much inventory.

Dang, well a guy can dream. Either way I'll be helping get that inventory down next season. Thanks for all you do, Greco.

Comment

Dang, well a guy can dream. Either way I'll be helping get that inventory down next season. Thanks for all you do, Greco.

Thank you Toro.

Comment

Working...
                              X