Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy Moving to Japan

What's up guys. So, I guess first is a quick about me:
    I'm 23, originally from Dallas, TX. Currently active duty Air Force and have been stuck in middle-of-nowhere South Georgia for the last 3 1/2 years. I had first gone skiing when I was in 4th grade to Angelfire, New Mexico and though I could have used longer skis than the absolute shortest my dad had insisted I used the shortest kid skis (he rode them too). To everyone's surprise, I picked it up relatively quickly.

I ski'd a few times after that when I was around 14-17 up in New York/PA and still refused to rent anything other than the short skis. I had never ridden legit skiboards, but I still found the shortest skis to be preferable for the maneuverability I became accustomed to with in-line skates.

Fast-forward too many snowless years later and I actually found out about this website a little late; after I was already in Colorado skiing with a pair of Summit NRG's that I got from skiboards.com. From what I understand they're not too bad for beginner skis. After reading a ton of threads and info from these forums I was able to fully realize where some of my problems were coming from; both with the skiboards and my form.

Now I've gotten orders to move to Okinawa, Japan and I am PUMPED. Unfortunately, Okinawa has strictly tropical weather year-round (right now it's averaging 60 degrees F), but I will be able to take frequent cheap trips up to mainland every 4-day weekend.

Now I have some questions about boards and boots: I'm short and heavy for my height since I lift at 5'6" and 170lbs.
    While I was riding with these Summit NRG 96 cm boards, I would be FLYING down the mountains. So much so that it made it incredibly uncomfortable to try to relearn after 6 years even on just the greens. I may have misunderstood, but when I was searching through the forums I found someone explaining that shorter/lighter people should get shorter boards because of speed. After reading that and seeing they were a decent hundred more expensive imported to Japan, I ordered a pair of RVL8 Blunts with snowboard bindings (I seriously can't stand the ski boots).

What kind of boards may be a preferable pair for a relative beginner that's 5'6" 170lbs in Japan powder?
    What kind of snowboard boots would y'all with experience with them recommend?
    Last edited by MF_Choklate; 03-02-2017, 12:10 PM. Reason: grammatical errors erk me

Hey MF,

I haven't ridden the blunts but I really enjoy skiboards on the longer length of the non-release spectrum and find them best for powder (109-110's) I'd take a good look at the Spliffs, Blunt XL's and regular Condors as well as RC's. For softboot bindings I'd recommend choosing your own ideal binding after some research and then applying the binding conversion kit available here on SBOL. The Missouri riser is an excellent solution. Boots, go stiff preferably without boa knobs getting in the way of the winged highback which is crucial for lateral support. I ride the Salomon Synapse's 7/10 on the flex scale, which lasted approx. 3 seasons of heavy backcountry riding, I'm going ahead with the Salomon Malamutes next year which are 10/10 and should last a few more seasons than 3.

Comment

Blunts are fun boards, but I wouldn't recommend them for a relative beginner. They are very wide, rather short, have zero camber and a rocker - that combination makes them a bit more demanding on the rider. I am not far off from your size and much prefer the Blunt XL over Blunts - had and rode them both - but am mixed about recommending them in your case. I typically lend out Slapdashes to beginner-intermediate friends but they are not good in powder compared to other options. A lot of people here love the Sticky Ickys, and they might be a top contender for you. They are very forgiving all mountain boards that do well on groomers and Spring slush and reportedly also in light to moderate powder (weather hasn't cooperated for me to see for myself).

Comment

WElcome to SBOL MF!

I pm'd a forum member named Mahatma that lives in Japan. Hopefully he gets it, but he hasn't posted for over a year.

Comment

I was in Japan last year, I rode the Spliffs. I'd def recommend something rockered. There can be a lot of snow. Generally, out of bounds skiing and under the lift skiing is not allowed at most japanese ski resorts, and you might get your ticket revoked if you do. some resorts even have security cameras. There are plenty opportunities for in bound powder skiing however. most resorts have designated tree and ungroomed skiing areas..

Not sure how much you know about the situation there, but the Okinawa US base is a sensitive issues among locals and around the country...

check my blog for some japan info! link is down below.
          Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Your NRGs a a good quality modern rockered skiboard. Their width and length does make them good for beginners, but they are also a fast, fun and nimble board for groomers, trees, bumps and light powder. If you are going to an area with variable conditions, I would keep the NRGs for the groomers and add a wider board for powder days, perhaps the Blunt XLs.

Despite the increased comfort, soft boot set ups provide a very different feel and and experience than ski boots. Many riders eventually go back to ski boots for the control and convenience they provide. I spent a year in soft boots, but would not recommend them now. There are many ski boots being sold that are designed specifically for comfort, like the Head Cubes and Atomic Live Fit series. They tend to be soft flexing, wide, roomy, have extra padding and an upright stance. Soft boot set ups can be great, but they are not the same as hard boots.
            Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I don't know about Japan specifically, other than they seem to have groomers like everywhere else and a lot of powder too. If you are "flying" on your 96cm boards (meaning you can't control the speed well), getting shorter ones will not help much if any. Longer boards are actually more stable and, while they may be more difficult to turn using incorrect technique, if otherwise similar in design, they still offer more stopping power and edge hold than shorter boards.

It's not the boards, but how you ride them in this case. Watch some skiing videos on skidded turns (someone posted an example on these forums here recently). Best, take a lesson or two. Learn these turns on easy groomers to get started, then use them everywhere. Once you know how to ski[board], start to get more into the ungroomed areas, where you will likely benefit from the wider and rockered boards mentioned.

As for the 88cm Blunts with snowboard bindings, I had that same combination for a few runs and I found them somewhat more challenging than longer and narrower boards in all conditions except very soft and deep snow where I enjoyed them. The short length, relatively soft flex, rocker (even if little), and soft boots all lead to somewhat less control than you would have on stiffer, longer, cambered boards with ski boots, the width will make them hard to edge on firm snow, and the very short turn radius might get in the way in certain firm snow conditions. But do give them a try - lots of people like them and they are tons of fun being short and very light.

Originally posted by MF_Choklate View Post
              Now I have some questions about boards and boots: I'm short and heavy for my height since I lift at 5'6" and 170lbs.
              While I was riding with these Summit NRG 96 cm boards, I would be FLYING down the mountains. So much so that it made it incredibly uncomfortable to try to relearn after 6 years even on just the greens. I may have misunderstood, but when I was searching through the forums I found someone explaining that shorter/lighter people should get shorter boards because of speed. After reading that and seeing they were a decent hundred more expensive imported to Japan, I ordered a pair of RVL8 Blunts with snowboard bindings (I seriously can't stand the ski boots).

What kind of boards may be a preferable pair for a relative beginner that's 5'6" 170lbs in Japan powder?
              What kind of snowboard boots would y'all with experience with them recommend?

Comment

I appreciate the responses guys. After awhile I'll definitely look into getting a bit longer boards. First I'll have to figure out how exactly I can get around mainland to go boarding. But I definitely want to keep the Blunts. From what I understand the squadron I'm going to travels around to all of the surrounding countries. If we go anywhere I can ski, the shortness will definitely be better for traveling with all the extra baggage.

I definitely know I need to improve with my riding. The first issue I realized was that I was habitually trying to use my upper-body to lead when turning/carving. Another issue I had was that I wasn't standing straight up like I should be. Probably cause it's been so long since I've been on the snow at all, but I'd be leaning back towards the mountain like I'm still afraid I'm gonna fall off. I spent about 10 days at Arapahoe Basin in CO and I was able to train myself a bit. But I still had issues anytime I would carve to the right, my left board would shake like it was unstable. I figure it was probably because I wasn't really applying my full bodyweight to the boards but was putting too much on my right.

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
                  Not sure how much you know about the situation there, but the Okinawa US base is a sensitive issues among locals and around the country...

Yeah, that's one of the first things they tell you when you get the assignment. Apparently all military branches on Okinawa are on curfews from 0100-0500. They don't have to be at home specifically, but they can't be going around town. But if it's any consolation... Those incidences have been primarily the Army and Marines there. I don't think the Air Force has had a particular ****head over there do something since like 1992? Trust me, we don't like those guys either... For the most part we all have very different cultures and attitudes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
                    If you are "flying" on your 96cm boards (meaning you can't control the speed well), getting shorter ones will not help much if any.
                    I did learn to carve for the most part and picked up the hockey-stop. But I mean "flying" like whenever I would start moving, I'd accelerate at a ridiculously fast pace. Especially compared to all the other people around me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MF_Choklate View Post
                      I did learn to carve for the most part and picked up the hockey-stop. But I mean "flying" like whenever I would start moving, I'd accelerate at a ridiculously fast pace. Especially compared to all the other people around me.
                      Try this. Instead of carving on your edges, try to keep your skis flat and your weight centered. It will give you a much more controlled start to your turns.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I think for your size / type of skiing I would recommend KTPs or Spliffs.

For example I am 200lbs and 5'10". I ride 105 revolts as my every day board. I used to ride nothing but 98's but I started hitting larger park features that the 98s didnt like. The board will only be as good as the skier, yes they will help dependent on terrain but regardless of what you get, you will learn what works best for you and your type of skiing there.

Also, thank you for your service, I was in the Air Force for 6 years, (I joined when I was 24). I was stationed in Charleston S.C. then up at Bradley ANGB here in CT.

Take lots of pictures out there, and enjoy the culture and snowfall

-B
                        sigpic

Comment

Hi MF_Choklate,

日本へようこそ. Welcome to Japan.

As your post requested information about Japan and on the Rvl*8 Blunts in Japan, I thought that this is an area where I can add some value.

This is also my first post on the forum, but I hope that my first contribution gives you and others who plan on moving to or visiting some insight into Japan and skiboarding in Japan.

Apologies if this is a bit of a long read. I've split my response into three posts to make it easier reading

1) About me, my set up and where I skiboard
                          2) General information about Japan - resorts, and niche snow sports categories
                          3) Info on lift tickets and where to buy gear

Part 1

About me
                          --------------
                          I'm TokyoDrew and as you may guess I live in Tokyo. I just started skiboarding with this being my first season - having skied for a number of years previously at an intermediate-advanced level. I got into skiboarding primarily due to my kids. The two of them are now at the age where they are starting to hit the slopes and I was looking to shorten the length of what I rode so as to avoid getting into a tangled mess with them. Came across skiboards, this forum and Rvl*8, liked what I read, bought a pair of Blunts and it's been great fun.

My Stats
                          --------------
                          - Height: 179cm / 5'11"
                          - Weight: 75kg / 165lbs
                          - Build: Fit / Athletic
                          - Skiing style: Midly aggressive

My Setup
                          --------------
                          - Board: 2014 Rvl*8 Blunt
                          - Boots: Salomon X-Pro 100

Why the Blunts?
                          Simple answer is that they were the only skiboards I could find in Japan at the time and at a reasonable price. Everything else that I could get my hands on at a decent price were either Salomons and Elans (bindings directly mounted) or Japanese brands such as Bluemoris or GR Ski Life (non-wood core) and these didn't match up to what I was looking for.

When the opportunity arose to pick up a pair of Blunts on auction I jumped at it. Would have preferred the Blunt XLs or Spliffs given my height, weight and riding style, but with the constraints of price and availability, the Blunts have been excellent and no regrets so far.

If you can, pick up your skiboard before coming to Japan, otherwise you'll be paying more as you had mentioned and you may not have as many options.

Why Ski boots?
                          I have the Salomon X-Pros from my ski setup and it took quite a bit of effort and pain to get them to where they are now - molded nicely to my feet - so I don't want to go through a whole exercise of getting used to a new boot setup. I also like stiffness and the directness in control that it gives when combined with the fixed binding.

The cons of the ski boot for me is once you get off the slopes, walking around can be quite heavy and clumsy compared to snowboard boots. I'm envious of my wife and kids when we're taking a break at the restaurant. Also, finding a pair of ski boots that you like can also be an exhausting exercise - try to understand you feet and spend time doing the research.

I've only ever known ski boots, so can't provide much help with the snowboard boot setup.

Where I skiboard
                          --------------
                          The area that I often go to is Minamiuonuma or Yuzawa, in Niigata. These two areas comprises of about 20 resorts and is about 2.5 hours drive from Tokyo or 1 hour by Shinkansen train, so it's great for a weekend or day-trip. The snow here is typically dry packed powder, with the depth this year ranging from 2m to 4m depending on the resort and elevation. It's got quite a local feel to it, so none of the glitz and glam of resorts in Hakuba or Niseko.

Off-Piste in Japan is typicall frowned upon (this season an Australian family was lost overnight in Nozawa Onsen, but was luckily found safe the next morning, and two NZ extreme ski tour guides were unfortunately killed in an avalance in Hokkaido), but there are some resorts which do allow for (i.e within reason turn a blind eye to) some off-piste action or even provide off-piste ungroomed courses. Maiko resort, is one of these resorts, however, if you do get lost and need rescuing the resort will charge a rescue fee.

How the Blunts performed
                          --------------

Based on my experience at Maiko resort.

Groomers: Lots of fun, highly maneuverable and stable at speed - though I was hoping to squeeze more out of them. Turns are fast and smooth and edging did not require too much effort given how wide they are. Edge to edge was quick. Performed well in variable choppy conditions, however, the edges did catch and slip when encountering icy patches so had to work to control it. Ice and the speed/performance limit had me wishing I had a bit more length at times, but this is just a minor gripe. On cushy runs slaving turns and spins were effortless. They performed well across the resort from the greens (beg), reds (int), through to the blues (adv). Maiko has lots of flats and skating around required effort - damaged the inside edge topsheet of both skiboards tails skating about.

Powder: Performance is OK in the powder. Not exceptional, but this is more related to the relationship between my size and the board, rather than the board itself. At times I did wish I had more surface areas and float - experienced my fair share of eating snow. Needed to really work hard at keeping the boards together as well as weighting the tails so as not to have the tips dive and face plant.

In the Trees
                          : Turns extremely well and can get into and out of tight spaces where regular skis can't. Again like in the powder need to work hard to keep moving to maintain momentum so as not to sink in and get stuck as well as not placing too much weight on the tails so as not to fall backwards. Falling and having to dig yourself out of thigh-waist deep powder is not much fun. Unlike in the groomed areas, the snow condition in the trees and off-piste areas is quite soft and powdery and with a bit of effort the Blunts provide a rewarding experience. But also be prepared to dig yourself out.

Park: Not a park rider so can't really comment here

Overall: The Blunts are lots of fun and I can ride and cruise on them all day without getting bored. 80% of my time now is spent on the groomers with the kids so the Blunts fits my needs and as long as I can keep pace with the missus, who snowboards, then I'm happy.

Comment

Skiboarding in Japan Part 2

Ski resorts in Japan
                            --------------
                            Here in Japan we are blessed with a wide selection of ski resorts (I believe it's over 400), however, the headache is always how to choose the resort. Thankfully Snow Japan has a website that provides a detailed list of pretty much all of the resorts around Japan in English - with information such as: resort overview, access to the resort; weather information; snow depth; mountain info - elevation, #courses & difficulty, #lifts & type; ticket prices; ratings and reviews; photos. This can help you plan your trips to the snow.

http://www.snowjapan.com/

Another site one is Powder Hounds, however, they are not as comprehensive as Snow Japan

http://www.powderhounds.com/Japan.aspx

At the resorts the majority are skiers and snowboarders, but there is also a broad acceptance of niche or minority categories, including skiboarding, which I'll write about next

Ski boarding in Japan
                            --------------
                            Short skis are a common sight here in Japan, falling into a category called fan/fun ski (ファンスキー). No one will bat an eyelid or make derogatory comments towards you. So for me it's quite a nice environment to ski and skiboard in Japan.

Over the course of this season that I've been on the Blunts I have not seen anyone else riding fat skiboards such as Rvl*8s or Summits. However, there apparently is quite an active scene/community with regular meets and gatherings - GR Ski Life is one such community.

Other niche snow sports in Japan
                            ---------------
                            Snow scoots, which to me looks like bmx or moto-cross for the snow, have been in Japan for a number of years, and have started to take a foothold. Most resorts do allow for them to be ridden either across the whole resort or on designated runs. I've also seen them available for rent at the resorts

http://www.snowscoot.co.jp/products/

In a similar vein to the Snow Scoot, my youngest son, when he's a bit tired and frustrated from skiing uses his balance bike (Strider) which has been adapted for use in the snow to give him a break - basically ski attachments to the wheels. This can allow for an early introduction to the snow for kids without the heavy investment, plus it's really cute

http://www.strider.jp/news/snow/

Comment

Skiboarding in Japan Part 3

Lift Tickets
                              --------------
                              Ski resorts in Japan will have an advertised price listed on their websites, however, there are ways to obatin discounted tickets that could save you anywhere from 10% to 50%. This can be quite significant if you you have family or ski frequently. If you can, plan ahead so that you can avoid buying tickets at the resort on the day.

The way I get my lift tickets are as follows:

a) Winter Plus
                              An online company that sells discounted tickets and ticket packages - offers the best discounts, but you have to pre-pay for your tickets so advanced planning is required. Also, the discount tickets available for sale are limited and sells out quickly for the popular resorts. Their website is in Japanese and you'll need to setup an account with them, so can become quite tricky if you don't have Japanese language skills. They also have a small booth that operates during the season at Jimbocho (an area where there is a large concentration of winter sports shops) and is probably easier to get tickets here than navigate through their website.

http://www.winterplus.jp/

b) Hotel or ski rental shops
                              Most hotels on the mountain or near the ski resorts will be able to provide discounted lift passes

Off-mountian rental shops also sell discounted tickets. If you're in Yuzawa, Niigata, Boo Sports is one of the most polular
                              http://www.21net.co.jp/boosp/

c) Yahoo Auction (Japan's equivalent of eBay)
                              You'll need a goood understanding of Japanese to be able to navigate through this, but well worth it as there a good savings to be found, and not only on tickets, but equipment too. I bought my Blunts through Yahoo Auction.

d) Discount coupon websites
                              There are lots of websites that have a repository of discount coupons. One such site is skista, again you'll need a good grasp of Japanese to navigate this, but it's not as involved a process as Winter Plus or Yahoo Auction
                              http://www.skista.co.jp/

Another is Surf & Snow, they have an English section on their website, but it's limited and doesn't offer information on lift tickets
                              https://snow.gnavi.co.jp/

e) Work social club

At my work, the social club are given discount coupons to various ski resorts around Japan

f) Japan Rail (JR)
                              JR has packages called SkiSki which combines rail transport with lift tickets and some times accommodation. One of the most convenient package is to Gala Yuzawa resort. It's a day trip package that has return Shinkansen ticket from Tokyo and a lift pass costing Yen10,000, which is about $80 USD.

Where to buy gear
                              --------------
                              Jimbocho
                              This is an area in central Tokyo that is littered with Ski and Snowboarding shops that sell gear at a discount. Lots of tourist come down to this area so communicating in English is not an issue - some shops also allow you to negotiate on the price. In terms of skiboards, the stores there mainly stock Salomon, Bluemoris or Strictly skiboards.

Staff at the shops told me the best time to go there is October as items sell out before the season even starts. Also you'll need about a day or two to get through all the shops.
                              https://en.japantravel.com/tokyo/jim...op-street/2855

SBS
                              The only stockist of Rvl*8 and Summits in Japan that I've come across, but are more expensive than the States. They have a wide selection of imported and domestic boards. If only I found this sooner.
                              http://www.skiboardshop.co.jp/

Yahoo Auction and Yahoo Shopping
                              Great place to pick up previous seasons gear or second hand gear a deeply discounted prices. My first port of call to buy anything.

Himaraya Sports
                              If you ever do find yourself in Gifu in central Japan, this is the sports shop to go to. It's really supposed to be spelled Himalaya, but got lost in translation. Definitely my favorite sports shop. I can spend hours in the place.

I do hope the information that I provided is of some help to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X